Have you changed your RV plan because of gas price?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Tukee44, May 9, 2018.

1. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

I remembered we were at same point in 2005 as gas price crossed $3/gallon. Look like it is a start of another economic cycle once again.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Thats cheap... here tonight gas price was 1.29 per liter. .. 3.78 liters per gallon... So $4.88 per gallon here...

3. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

$1.61.9 per liter....$6.19 per U.S gal converted...makes me want to cross over the border to buy gas. I could save about $55.00 per fill up

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Nope

Fless likes this.
  5. Lee's Alite

Lee's Alite Member

No we will still head out for 6-8 weeks soon .

6. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The psychological effect is amazing........you'll see lighter use of campgrounds, and RV sales will plummet, both good things as I see it. In reality whats the additional cost for a camping trip? $20?, but a mind is a terrible thing.

I also expect prices to stay up this time around and have a scientific way of coming up with it. Fuel prices always trend the same way the price of steel fluctuates, and steel has been going up, up, up. Our brokers tell us to not expect any kind of downward trend for at least 3 years on metal, if ever. There you have it.

NothingsChocking and Spartacus like this.
  7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

True. In similar news, Winnebago is developing an Electric RV. It will be hugely expensive and cost far more than the gas price increase in a comparable RV, but if you're not tied to the pump, you'll "feel" like you're winning.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/07/technology/winnebago-electric/index.html

NothingsChocking likes this.
  8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

9. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

That'd be nice, but I seriously doubt it. RV sales are booming, manufacturers are increasing production, and most RVers are driving or towing big heavy stuff, accepting 8mpg, not worrying too much about cost per gallon, AND accepting lousy quality from the manufacturers.

Not only has baby boomer retirement fed the trend, but now much younger folks with the ability to work remotely via the internet with the desire to experience the adventure of the open road is becoming more and more of a factor - especially if they come from a high tech area where housing costs are prohibitive.

Anyway, I hope you're right as a downward trend would force increased quality and lighter rigs for manufacturers to stay competitive (like we saw in the auto industry in the 80's-90's.) It would also make getting sites at preferred campgrounds easier, but that's not the trend I expect. I think gas would need to jump much more to have significant impact.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If gas prices break the $4.00 mark here I will shorten my trips to only campgrounds under 4-5 hours away. If I had a long trip planned I will have to recalculate the potential gas and if it goes too far into my emergency cash then I will cancel or alter the plans a little. sadly I have a very limited budget and have to consider the fact my truck is also my daily driver.

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Wow. Although I take Canada fishing trips one or two times a year, it still amazes me on the price of gas our neighbors to the north must pay. Luckily, my forays into Canada use less than a full tank of gas so we are able to fill our tanks before crossing the border, then fill up again after we re-cross going home.

But gas prices will remain high in any country that has low competition in the oil industry, long distances to move crude oil, a shortage of refineries, smaller population and higher taxes. I'm guessing that the trade off is in love of country? I do envy the most of the Canadian way of life.

When I'm filling up at the border, I do see a lot of Ontario vehicles filling up before crossing to go back home. But as high as the gas prices are in Canada, at least it isn't as high as Europe where some countries are well over $7.00 USD per gallon!

12. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

My 10 mpg k2500 stays parked. Paid off it still would require $400 per month fill ups to daily drive

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I contemplated boondocking 1 hr away or 4 hours away. Gas prices alone dictate the 1 hr away spot.

14. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I had company visiting from Germany this past weekend. She could not get over the size of the vehicles here and how many trucks are on the road. They all drive small 3 and 4 cyl cars over there because of the price of gas. Of course, there are almost zero trailers on the road because they have nothing to pull them with.

In Germany, you are buying gas today at 1.43 Euros per liter.
    A Euro today costs $1.53 Canadian
    There are 3.78 Liters in a USA gallon.

So 3.78 L x 1.43 Euros = 5.40 Euros to buy a USA gallon.
    Exchange 5.40 Euros into CAD dollars = $8.26

So, today in Germany, it costs $8.26 CAD to buy 1 USA gallon of gas.

Or in USD (1 Euro = $1.19 USD today) = $6.43 USD to buy a USA gallon of gas in Germany today

Mike76 likes this.
  15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No, most of the places we like to camp are 5-9 hours drive, so it is what it is. We tend to be pretty frugal about the other expenses on trips - cooking our own food, staying in public campgrounds and less fancy private ones (most of the time).
    That said, we did just splurged $300 on a Icon wind deflector for the TV, since we now have a TT. (We still need to install it, first attempt didn't go very well, if it isn't secure we'll have to sell or return it.) If it saves 1 mpg, with the amount we tend to tow in a year, it should pay for itself in a season or two. In addition, just being able to stretch out the distance between needing gas on some days would be handy. We average 11-12 mpg while towing with the Silverado, but that can go down to 7-9 under windy conditions (and up under ideal ones).
    It is also supposed to help with stability under some conditions, which we had on the final leg of our last trip - for a change, Courtenay was driving in the wicked winds. I'm usually the one who encounters them. He says he'll be happy if stability is all it adds.

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

To me the price of gas just means less extra stuff like do I get a Bottle of Rum & a 30pk or just the 30pk, Tender Loins or Burgers. We still take the trip.

Firehawk068 and myride like this.
  17. myride

myride Well-Known Member

In the broad picture...yes we pay higher gas prices than need be, does it change my plans....no....piece of mind and rejuvenating "my" batteries is worthy of the little extra cost.

jnc likes this.
  18. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

You first have to consider this as an RV boom. To me its all conjured up BS straight from the RVIA. The RV industry shipped 504 thousand of all types in 2017, but they also shipped 390 thousand in 2005, and 389 thousand in 1978. They say this supposed boom started @ 2012 when they shipped 286 thousand but it took until 2015 to break through the pre recession level of 390 thousand in 2006.

504 thousand less 390 thousand = 114 thousand increase. 114 thousand more sold in a nation with a population of 325 million is hardly a boom to me, but it is to the RVIA. And what about the Canadiens? They are also figured into those numbers so that's a 114 thousand increase among 350 million or so. Its a statistal fact that registered RV's has hovered at right around 9 million in the US for the last 15 years no matter how many they sell.

PaThacker likes this.
  19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nope, because we only camp within a few hours of home anyway. We never camped outside of Florida since we moved here over a decade ago. For us there is no reason to, because everything we love is here. We always camp at the beach, either side is fine. We only swim in the gulf because we prefer the calm, clearer water. But fishing, shelling, sharks tooth hunting, and just loving being on the beach, can be done on either side. Only other place we camp is Disney.

We did back off on using our large TT due to the added expense in general. Not because of any change in prices, though. There were other contributing factors as well. Had we enjoyed it more, we could still budget in the higher gas expenses.

20. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

The price of gas probably is not going to impact pop up campers much. Towing a pop up with an SUV isn't too bad on the wallet. It only drops my mileage by a couple of miles per gallon. I probably use less throttle and have better driving habits when towing 3000lbs. For me the alternative is to drive the Prius and Priamp, tent camp, or not camp.

When the economy is up, the price of oil goes up and same with the price of gas. Growing economies need more energy and people who are prospering buy larger vehicles, drive more, and in general use more energy. I think we will see a slow rise in oil prices to the $200 range over the next few years at which point the price of energy will once again throttle the global economy and we will enter another recession.