Have you ever "Dressed Up" while camping?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by generok, Jul 16, 2020.

Have you ever "dressed up" while camping?

1. Yes, formal attire

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes, smart casual

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Yes, casual above camp-wear

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. No, not even a little

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Our anniversary and my DW's birthday are in prime camping season. We're normally out in the rig on both occasions, which we're okay with. A couple of years ago we decided to visit one of those restaurants at the top of a mountain for our 25th anniversary dinner. But, we camped nearby. It was odd camping, and putting on "nice" clothes... at least not typical jeans and T-shirts.

A couple of trips ago, we were also at a place that is very picturesque and they do weddings. Many of the wedding guests decided to stay in the RV park. It was quite odd to see folks in the RV park in suits and dresses.

Have you ever "dressed up" while camping?

Garrettpw111 likes this.
  2. generok

Well, I botched that and hit "enter" instead of tab to go to next question! So, if no, well... too bad I guess. It seems I can't edit the poll portion. Sorry folks!

3. generok

AAAaand, I CAN edit it, so I did. Ugh. Is it gin o'clock yet?

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yes. For about 3 years when my son was younger we spent 10 days in Austin at McKinney Falls so he could attend a summer day camp. I was able to work remote on my hotspot during that time, and coordinate client visits and also working out of the Austin office for a day or two. Thus I would drop him off at camp, go back and shower, shave, iron clothes and head into work. One time I needed to wear a coat and tie as well. When we camp just on our own we like to head into town to sightsee wherever we may be, so we will dress accordingly for that activity.

I have a small tabletop half size ironing board that folds flat, and hangs from a hook in the shoilet area. We will hang clothes up in the shoilet on the drop down ceiling closet rack if we have an early morning.

Garrettpw111 and generok like this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

At some of the Sisters on the Fly events, many will dress up for a dinner out or in camp. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.
    Going to one next year (taking over and entire campground, with 150-200 SOTFs), with a “woodland creature” theme, so for the main dinner, we can dress up as our favorite creature. Doubt either the friend going with me or I will dress up. (So far, woodland creatures mentioned all seem to be in the fairie/pixie theme.)

Beth H and generok like this.
  6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I always wear a tuxedo while camping.

7. generok

[​IMG]

8. tombiasi

That's why I wear one, if the bears are going to wear them so should I.

tfischer, generok and Rik Peery like this.
  9. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

So when camping do you hang a sign that reads "Dapper Camper"?
    Might as well be the talk of the camp for a good reason rather than doing something foolish. ☺

Beth H and campfire Joe like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You are scaring me now.

Beth H, Orchid and kitphantom like this.
  11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Negative lol...few years ago wife was in the bath house drying her hair after a shower, in comes 5 or 6 giggly teeners, she said they started dolling up w/ make up/hair spray etc, saw them later cruising the campground in summer dresses, guess they were spiffing up for the teener dudes; normal attire for warm weather is a tee shirt/shorts/tennis shoes or crocs, throw in a sweatshirt if cooler...

campfire Joe likes this.
  12. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I wear my wife's clothes sometimes out camping.

13. tombiasi

I think that is something that would be better kept private.

14. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Had the wedding not been covid-icated, I would have attended while camped in Madison for my niece's nuptials.

15. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Quit hunting years ago. All my clothes are still in good shape. Nobody bothers a camper wearing camouflage.

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yea, um...."sometimes".....[:D]

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Well, I am often confused as a ranger where I camp. So not sure if you consider that dressing up.
    Hiking pants and a light weight button down shirt. Mosquitoes absolutely adore my blood so I pretty much wear long sleeves more times than not. So I don't have to smell like a deet factory. My hiking pants have multiple pockets and zippered legs so it's easy to convert to shorts if I need to. My shirts are pastel in color so really don't understand the confusion. I don't know any ranger that wore a baby blue shirt. :confused:In the
    Early spring/fall my side kick dubs me as the lumber jack. What can I say I love plaid. :D. Overall the clothes I wear are practical and comfortable. Because I wear button down shirts I could always change my pants for some regular khakis and I'd be more presentable assuming I don't smell like a campfire. [CP]

Garrettpw111 likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Dressing up while camping - no. If I'm gonna hiking, swimming, etc, I dress appropriately for that.

If I'm hanging out at camp, I may wear a casual summer dress (short or long). I discovered how comfortable that is when I broke my hand and went camping. Couldn't button/zip/snap pants one-handed.

If I was staying at an RV park and sightseeing, then yes, I would dress up accordingly. If I was going to a wedding, then yes I would dress up accordingly.

So I guess my answer is I would dress appropriately for the event/activity regardless of where I was sleeping the night before.

19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Woodland creatures has us a bit confused. Otherwise, it's fine - we're in the SW, so a long skirt or jeans, boots, and hats tend to be common.

20. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

We have taken our camper to multiple weddings, it is the way to go when it is out of state and a great excuse for a camping trip. First time was out in Buffalo and then next in Great Falls - camping with 7 kids and we all had a great time at the wedding. Got all showered and dressed up and had fun, then on to Glacier and other places. Usually the dress up part is just for one day so not too big of a deal.