Have you ever???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by georgeandgracie1, Jul 17, 2011.

1. georgeandgracie1

georgeandgracie1 New Member

Ok the day started with getting kids and putting our clothearound s in the camper, getting the ice chest full of drink and ice, get the dog, hitch up the pup, you get my point so far,, well so we drive hour and a half to the river of choice in the 105 degree temps, and get to one of our favorite spots. Get un hitched, set everything up, including my newly purchased pop up gizmos. The boys and I were just finished setting up the perfect camp when my wife shows up soon there after from work. Well she went inside to dilly with her things when she popped her head out the door and asked, " Honey were the tote with the towels and sheets?" Well now I just found out for the first time to always double check your check list. Wow,, Was i in some serious trouble from the Mrs.. Option 1 go back to the house, a three hours round trip ordeal, or option 2 go to Wal-mart and buy over the things we just had bought before. Well she went back to Wal-mart and 30 minutes later she showed up fuming and put everything together. Man I felt really stupid for not grabbing the one tote that was left on the bed. Ok from now on I must go over the check list for real, not just in my head... I'm sure no one has ever done this before. If anyone has done something like this I would love to hear your horror story. FYI, she forgave me and still loves me forever!!! [;)]

2. georgeandgracie2

georgeandgracie2 .....Night Gracie

You will never live it down! You or the boys! [}:)]

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I'm sure she has left stuff at home also, my wife has ....... not big deal.

4. bobnvic

bobnvic New Member

Forgot to pack toiletries once, you know soap, shampoo, toothpaste, those things that non-menopausal women use. So I was sent off to the local supermarket to pick up those missing items [:(O], and got a knowing nod from a few of the guys in the store, like you aren't the first buddy, nor will you be the last.

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Think of it this way...now you have PUP specific items! Just leave them in there (after washing of course)

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

exactly why I let the Mrs. pack her and the kids stuff into the camper.

7. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

[}:)] , this reminds how my husband always rushes me when he is packing up the car for camping (or any other trip)... I swear I haven't even finished filling a suitcase/duffle and he is zipping it up and putting it in the car... argh! [}:)] Something is almost always left behind.

Another time we told our boys to pack their backpacks with what they wanted to bring, toys, books, favorite stuft animals... the little one had his 'teddy', Buzz n Woody, some matchbox cars, and a chinese take out box filled with rocks... the older one 'forgot' to pack and had nothing whatsoever... he was most unhappy without his Nintendo DS.

8. georgeandgracie1

Ok now I don't feel soo bad now!! This is only our 4th camping trip ever so things will get a little easier. We do already have our routine so things are working pretty well so far. Luckily my wife and I are the same when it comes to everything MUST have its place. the boys are finding out that things MUST go back were they are found. We really love this whole camping thing!!!! We just can't get enough of it. Thanks everyone for your replies.. :)

9. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Once we forgot to pack bath towels. We ended up using dish towels the first night [we keep plenty on board]. Next day we headed to Walmart and picked up a set of towels for each of us. They stay on board now. We wash those towels on returning and slide them in their drawer when clean.

10. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I think everyone's forgot something at one time or another. We've certainly done it a number of times both tenting and with the PUP.

Nice thing about a large PUP is that there's a lot of storage space. Over the last 2 years we've pared down some and increased the storage so there's less to forget. Just today I put a shelf in a tall cabinet to utilize alittle more of the empty space. Last year I converted a drawer into cabinet space and created another cubic foot or so. By keeping more items in the PUP, we less likely to forgot something.

One thing that works for us is that we put everything on our checklist in our living rm and garage the night before (the closest rooms to the driveway). Just by looking around those two areas we make sure we don't miss something.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

This is funny, the DW and I were just talking about things to pack for next weeks vacation. We discussed that we will need to pack the Boogie Boards! Told her I have a camping list I use for our trips and that was on it! Now, I better make sure that item really is on my list or I am a dead man!!!!! [:O]

12. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

We have a camping checklist that we use fanatically, but either DW or myself always makes a final tour of the house looking in every room for anything we may have forgotten. So far, in 11 years of camping, we haven't forgotten anything real important yet. But it could sure happen to us, too.

I think once or twice DW has forgotten to put something in the fridge into the cooler, so we've had to buy an item or two at a grocery store that we hadn't planned on.

I'm the one who is always in a rush to get packed up and on the road. I always have to force myself to slow down and think through everything.

It's great that you're enjoying camping so much. Hopefully that will continue for years to come.

13. gusbell

gusbell New Member

Have only had a few trips in the pup but so far so good as far as leaving anything behind. We have a storage rack in the garage that ALL camping gear goes on so that helps make it easier. Besides that we have two food totes and everyone is responsible for bringing their own clothes bag out to the TV.

14. Oski88

Oski88 New Member

Yes. One trip I forgot the kid's jackets and daughter's diapers. Try having an angry wife and wandering a campground in the dark looking for signs of a family with little kids so you can ask a total stranger if you can have one of their diapers :) The next morning we made a trip to the store to buy three things that we had at home. It happens.

15. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

We've all forgotten something now and then. Luckily, I can't remember ever forgetting anything so vital to ruin our trip. But, we've also had to make a couple runs to the nearest Wal-Mart. But, over the years of camping (tent, popup, and now hybrid), I've put together a check list that I print out the week before every camping trip. Every single item that we take in the car or camper is on the list, even the things that never leave the camper. Everything on the list is alphabetized and divided into categories, such as food, clothing, tools, personal items, etc. Nothing gets checked off the list until I make sure it's loaded. My DH laughs at me and my list obsession, but it works, and it's easy. Living with a very disorganized man means I have to be even more organized. Leaving the packing and loading up to him could be disastrous!

16. gzank6

gzank6 Member

worst was when I forgot my sons sand toys... they were already packed and sitting next to the door. While packing I had to step over them repeatedly to get out the door then I moved them just to the side and totally left them.

17. wantingapup

wantingapup New Member

Sometimes even double checking your list doesn't help. First trip this year I was finishing the packing, and checked the list saw the only item left I hadn't packed were pillows (taken out of the pup for the winter), circled it on the list and went up stairs to get them, had a senior moment, got distracted, grabbed something else and finished packing and hooked up. Remembered the pillows about 2 hours into our 3.5 hour drive. We used the extra blanket as a pillow for the week.

18. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that will never be lived down. 10 years from now, you DW will be reminding you to make sure you have the bedding, etc. The good news is that it does get easier and more automatic so to speak....and it's probably something that will never be forgotten again. In fact, I would just make that bedding the camping bedding and keep them in the p'up (after wash).

Fortunately, I haven't forgotten anything important in quite some time. DW and I were long time tent campers before moving to the p'up this season. Over the years, we have accumulated a lot of camping specific gear....that is stuff we only use for camping and nothing else. I would estimate that this gear makes up 95% of our camping gear. It was once stored in the garage on specified shelves and bins for easy packing when tent camping. Now this gear resides in the p'up with the exception of a few items that didn't get cleaned before heading home from the camp site and need to be washed at home. I have a specific bin for these items in the garage so that I don't forget to pack them in the p'up before we take off again. If I get around to it, I will pre pack these items on some weekend when I have the p'up open for maintenance or whatever.

We hardly have a checklist anymore as, like I said, most of our gear lives in the p'up. Pretty much the only stuff that needs to be done before heading out is packing the cooler, clothes in the duffel bags, pillows, and deciding what we want to schlepp along for DS to keep him entertained. I do have a couple of odds and ends that I use both camping and at home like my LED headlamp (jusn't haven't gotten around to buying a spare).

19. georgeandgracie1

Thank you everyone for your awesome stories!!! That really makes me feel alot better now. My wife did get a kick out it after she almost had a melt down.. As I write I am working on a great camping checklist. I too will have to slow down when grabbing those back and forth items. I just get soo excited about camping every time.. Till next time... Happy Camping everyone!!!!! [:D]

20. georgeandgracie2

georgeandgracie2 .....Night Gracie

Trust me, he will never live it down! LOL! We now have 2 sets of sheets for each bunk and 10 beach towels. [:D]