Have you replaced your radio system?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by mantis32, Aug 28, 2016.

1. mantis32

mantis32 Member

Have you replaced the radio system head inside your popup camper? If so, what did you go with?
    Did you change out the speakers? What did you go with? Did you put marine speakers inside or only out?

My speakers aren't gone but I do like some good sounding audio and would love to pair my phone via bluetooth with my audio system. The bluetooth for pandora is my primary driver. Seeing what others have done, before I go shopping.

2. mantis32

mantis32 Member

Hmm.... How about your speakers?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Our pup never had a radio and all I did was carry along one of the old unused ghetto blasters I had laying around ... Since we pretty much exclusively used electrical sites this beast was ok other wise it is a battery eater..

[​IMG]

With the TT, I have thought a few times of swapping out the stock Jensen radio.. but just can't justify the cost to buy something descent. Then I would then have to replace the speakers since you know the manufacture used the cheapest they could.. To go with the new stereo, new speakers, I would also have had to cut some holes and install a couple outside speakers.. so it was easier and much cheaper to buy one of these ...

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/memorex-ml621-portable-speaker-universal-line-in-usb-charging-full-stereo-sound/131596323738/

4. greatbrothers

greatbrothers I'd rather be camping.

[​IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160910/bcd9c906a41c97e90eef8dd283077e1f
    .jpg[​IMG]

I just added some Bose speakers, and hook it up to phone or MP3 player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

6. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

The current group of single DIN receivers are clean looking, have a remote, blue tooth and an 3.8mm aux jack. Most That and triax speakers is a good start. Best Buy had a screaming deal on Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine units recently so I bought the goods for less than $120. Kicking around possible speaker locations and where I want to mount the receiver. Looked at coax speakers initially but they sounded too dull (obviously). Most of the 5th wheels and TTs that I've been in lately on the showroom floor are single DIN units too.

7. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Haven't looked at replacing it yet, would really like to move it...it's located 6" off the floor just inside the door. Anything stored there while traveling will always slide a bit and bump into it, turning it on, we almost always arrive at a CG with static coming out of the speakers...

8. Scott55

Scott55 New Member

@CO Hiker
    does your alpine work as advertised? Would you recommend it?
    Sorry for being off topic.

I want to change the stereo from my car for a while now.

I have settled with Alpine. Though I'm lost which unit would be the best choice.
    Most internet reviews are just full of ... it's only hype. When I read some real
    customer feedback I got discouraged.

After searching awhile I've found a different blog. They sure tell it how it is. I've read that review and got me thinking. Is the Alpine Head Unit really that bad?

I mean it does only support Iphones not Android? How good is the sound quality?

Any thoughts of wisdom?

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We just use a bluetooth speaker.

10. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Our pup never had a radio in it, & most of the places we camp, radio reception is poor to none. I have a bluetooth speaker that's paired to my phone if we desire any tunes while camping.

11. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I replaced mine with an inexpensive unit that has several weatherbands. Bluetooth, remote, remote jack, ipod, usb, yada, yada, yada.
    I hooked up a aux cable before buttoning it up, threaded out through the microwave vent grill. I can connect this to my t.v. for better sound.
    Keep in mind that normally these are wired so that they are "hot" all the time (to save the pre-sets). 1/2 an amp an hour - no way! I put a switch on my to keep that parasitic draw to zero.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I use my zunes with docking pad and computer speakers for inside the campers. Easy, non-installed (I am so tired of buying new car stereos everytime I buy a vehicle), and fine for a reasonable level of sound while camping.

I did just buy a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Sp...d_r=797M0P5M9CDC5164DXK4&psc=1&qid=1574198274

I can move them around wherever I want and connect them to my zunes (using a bluetooth transmitter). And they recharge with usb.

For on the road, I have the car stereo systems.

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My popup trailer has a regular JENSEN car radio in it... It works just fine and has an outside antenna on the popup.. It also has outside speakers that can fade in using the front/back slide control on the Jensen...

I also have an audio splitter for my various Ham radio setups that feed a BLUETOOTH transmitter. This allows me to carry any of the those Bluetooth pocket speakers or nice sounding bigger base bar type portable speakers. Jensen radio sounds great coming through those outside.. I get a good 100 feet or so coverage around the outside of my POPUP using my Bluetooth transmitter...

I really love my ILUV pocket sound speakers... Use them all the time either for the popup radios or my cell phone audio walking around the camp area... Got the ILUV portable Bluetooth speakers from AMAZON... Walmart has a good selection of these portable speakers as well...

I also like to pick internet radio station from my cellphone...

It is amazing to me how they can get great audio sounds from those small speakers haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

No built in radio system, I just use one of those Marshall Bluetooth speakers off of my phone.

15. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

I pulled my head unit out this fall and will be replacing it with a Bluetooth amp this spring.
    Something like this:F900 Mini Bluetooth Power Amplifier Wireless Audio Receiver with 12V 5A DC Adapter, Stereo Hi-Fi Digital Amp 2 Channel 50W 2 with AUX/USB/Bluetooth Input (Amplifier+Adapter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072Q157FY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.Kk3Db3XM7TAF

I also plan on adding a speaker or two to the outside of the PUP somehow. I haven’t figured that out yet though.

16. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

We generally don't listen to music mainly because we don't want to pollute the other sites nearby with our music. Just like I don't want to hear everyone else's.
    I do have a standard junk OEM head unit and inside and outside speakers. The head unit doesn't work well and needs to be replaced with something decent in the event we have the ability to listen to music.

bubbafrye and 1380ken like this.
  17. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

The Starflyer had the remnants of a sound system—the car radio, pushed inside one of the cabinets, and some wires under the dinette where a speaker would have been. Now, there's just the hole where the car radio was. I'm thinking about putting an electrical system monitor in that hole.

For tunes, I have my phone and earbuds. If I want to share, I have both iClever and EcoPebble Bluetooth speakers. The speakers are water resistant, where they don't mind getting rained on. The EcoPebble was a left-behind by a renter who bailed on my in-laws; it was supposed to have a cover that would let it function even when submerged in water but… whatever. If we have that much water in the campsite, I hope I managed to pack up and leave before it got that deep. [LOL]

The antenna mount is still there, although the whip is long gone. Maybe I'll convert that to a cable pass-through so the wife can keep up with the Hallmark Channel. [::)]

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I just swapped out an old cassette player radio with with a JVC I could connect BT

19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We replaced the old Jensen unit in the Cougar this past spring. I went with another Jensen because
    1. It for the hole that was already there.
    2. With three sets of speakers and the connections for the DVD and television, I thought it would be simpler to hook up.

Wrong!

The master plug on the back of the stereo, which I was hoping would be the same, was not. In addition, all the wires were color-coded differently. Fortunately, they wires coming out of the wall were labeled so DW and I were able to get it figured out.

We're not audiophiles but it sounds pretty good to us and it makes watching a movie a lot easier.

20. sjrider

sjrider New Member

I use a sirius radio boom box. I get used ones from craigslist or good will. They are having a special now for 6 dollars per month for 12 months. No advertisements. Many channels. The little boom box has great sound with internal sub woofer. Works great for the truck and anywhere. The last one I got was for 7 dollars at good will.

bheff likes this.