Having the campground to ourselves

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Eskimorob, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Our maiden voyage with the ntu Jayco was to a small private campground in the NC mountains near AVL. Just a couple of nights to shake down and take in a concert at Biltmore. The concert was an afterthought, I had intended to just 'be' for a couple of days but the week before the trip DW stumbled on the concert info. Also wanted to see how the DW acclimated to the camping life, but don't tell her that. Anyway it seemed we had the campground to ourselves even though every site was occupied. I don't know what you call this phenomena, but I've noticed it for years whenever I camped with my father-in-law. You see the mcmansions pull in, and the levelers go to work, watch the slide outs slide out, see your neighbor hookup and then they hide out for the duration. I guess the lure of the tv and microwave lifestyle is strong in some. My opinion of the PUP life is one of sitting outside, walking around the campground, fishing, burning firewood, talking, or just watching nature, you know, actual camping. Meals are cooked and eaten outside, dishes are done outside, mosquitos are fed outside. The only reason I'm in the pup is sleeping or horizontal weather

One other thing we noticed and I've seen other threads about it, we did not see one pup on this trip. Not on the road, not in the campground, none. I know that pups are getting rarer as dealers can entice customers into more debt and luxury, but I for one will always be living the pup life. To me, camping is the object and not just a means to avoid a hotel bill. I think my sons have the bug, and I hope that their kids will catch it, let's hope that there will always be a market for the pup life when their time comes.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

On some of our trips this year, we've seen more pups than in previous years, both on the road and in campgrounds. It seems to vary from trip to trip. For instance, at North Rim of GCNP for Memorial Day week, there were more pups and small travel trailers than we usually see there. The campground where we met for this year's Colorado Rally had more pups too, though not at the Rally.
    All of our trips so far this year have been AZ and CO, we head off to UT next week, so we'll see what the mix is there.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I went camping just last week and we also had the campground to ourselves...sort of. It was just me and one other camper in our entire section. They had a class C. Saw them pull in, level, and walk their dog. I was thinking oh shoot his dog is going to get my four going. Never saw him after that. Maybe once in the morning and that's because I hear mine bark that one quick warning bark. Three days later they thanked us for the quiet dogs and went on their way. Meanwhile we cooked dinner outside, went to the pool, walked the dogs, had a water gun fights. When the heat was bothering the dogs too much, we went in the trailer then. We did have to eat in the trailer. Apparently there was a beehive near the picnic table. Because I was allergic, I tried to leave them alone. Using the table to prep, but little else.

4. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

People go "camping" for different reasons, I think they are all valid.

I tend to see many pups, mainly on sundays. I have an HTT but I am not getting rid of my Coleman...

5. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I've been pup camping for about 22 years, on and off. There are some things that have not changed:

- Pop ups are the least popular type of camper.

- Dealerships don't seem too interested in selling them because they aren't very profitable.

- Many who camp in pups feel "liked down on" by other types of RV owners.

- Other RV owners don't really care how other people camp.

- People have different ideas of what camping is and how they like to relax.

People see things the way they want to. A coworker of mine likes to watch customers park in front of the building. He especially likes to talk trash about cars he can't afford. If a BMW or Mercedes pulls in, he says, "Oh, look at this jerk backing into his parking space." But when it's a Mustang, he says, "Check out that awesome Mustang backing in out there!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Nandy! I love the man cave on wheels Columbia!!
    Brilliant Man!!
    I now have yet another reason I have been holding onto the Palamino Filly I acquired...thank you!!!

McBrew!
    Great analogy!
    I had a supervisor at a job years back, he did the same thing. Anytime he observed any German or Swedish brand autos, he was quick to point out how the drivers of said auto are all+!*#@ this and that.
    What's said supervisor do a few years later...buys his wife and son BMW's.... people are funny that way!!

I admit we see very few pop ups, but we do on every trip see at least one or two.
    I am like a kid playing punchbuggy when I see one too!!!

This summer, today most recently, I have had acquaintancees of our suggest to us that they are seriously considering buying a pop up camper to introduce themselves and children to fun, easy and simple camping for their families!!!

Talk about excitement to own and be a pop upper!!!! Man I couldn't wait today for our friend to stop telling us their plan and suggestion to get a camper like ours so I could jump right in and offer all advice and knowledge to help them get what they want, need and afford etc...

I don't see us ever getting rid of our Cheyenne...it may just become my man cave on wheels of we ever fall into a deal we can't refuse pop up.

Happy Camping from CT!!

7. gruss

gruss Active Member

I notice this a lot in private campgrounds. Usually they're just overnighting I think. Don't really care..if they chat cool, if they sit inside, whatever. Don't pay much attention.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

My man-cave (love it!) on wheels for 2 months and 10 days in WY

Attached Files:

9. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

I don't get that much in Michigan... Or maybe it's just the places I choose to go.

You guys need to make it to Michigan, this is twice now I've heard "only popup", that wouldn't be easy up here during the summer months. Or maybe that's also just the places I choose to go.

10. gruss

gruss Active Member

We were at sugarloaf in MI a couple weeks ago. Saw more pop ups then ever! So yeah dudman, I believe you. Weird since most of our camping is Ohio, Michigan and Indiana...MI has tons of pups compared to the other 2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We camp 100% at state, county, and national parks or at Fort Wilderness (Disney World.) The parks we go to are a good mix of every kind of camping unit, including lots of tents. In fact, tents always well out number pop-ups. I don't see as many pop-ups as other units, with the exception of the tent loops at Fort Wilderness, where they are plentiful.

Honestly, the only way I have ever noticed what anyone else is doing is:

1) They are at a site right next to mine and I can't help it.
    2) They are being obnoxious.

We have camped next to older couples in various motorhomes and trailers that pull in, walk the dog, and disappear. But, they are primarily travelers who leave the next morning.

My parents have a big motorhome, but love to camp still and go walking on the beach (we are in FL and mostly camp at beaches.) You will not see anything at their site, including a campfire, because they are in their 70's and do all of their cooking and eating inside. They still enjoy getting out, but are unable to do things like they used to. They are lifetime campers that have taken me camping since birth, mostly in a tent.

Since they don't even set up chairs on their site, at first glance, one may assume they just stay inside, but that is far from fact. They spend most of the days out and about. They just don't hang outside when back at camp. When we camp with them, we have a campfire and and cook outside and such, but they don't have to do any of the work involved. They really love it, just unable to do all that anymore.

We have a week reserved at a state park in November with all of the extended family. They will have one of of my daughters with her family in a tent at their site, so it will be much more "lived in" that week. [:D] They are the oldest of four generations that will be camping that week and have certainly earned their place of comfort in their motorhome. Believe me, they would gladly trade that comfort for the ability to camp like they have in all the years past.

12. Redbird

Redbird Member

Pop-ups are definitely common here in Michigan. I see them all over the place. There are at least three families who own one just on the main road near our house. [PU] [PUC] [PU] It's relatively easy to find used ones for a fair price, too.

Camping and outdoor recreation are an important tradition in our state, though. It's pretty common for people who have grown up RVing with their parents to get a PUP as a starter RV. I see a lot of young families with them, carrying on the camping tradition with their own kids.

13. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Yes, popups are alive and well in Michigan! We have tons of them here.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The Michigan pop-up popularity totally takes me by surprise. As cold and snowy as it is, I would think they would be rare if I were just taking a guess. Interesting.

15. upstate family

upstate family Member

Pop-ups are popular in central New York too. I see them all the time on the road, at campsites and in driveways. Camping is very popular in this area. And they are readily available at most RV dealerships, but not the Camping World in Syracuse. Friend had a big 5er and wanted to down size so they could get into certain places they couldn't go before. They seriously wanted a Pup but their kids revolted. They went to a TT. When the wife saw our Pup she said her DH would be jealous. They really enjoy camping and even with their big rig they spent their time outside.

16. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Since we got our PUP, I have noticed quite a few on the road around here in Washington State. Far more travel trailers and 5th wheels, of course, but, yes, they are definitely out there around these parts.

Most of the places that we camp at really do cater to those with tents (and PUPs that can fit into "tent spots" [;)] ), so I can't really comment on other "types" of campers- not really that I would want to anyway, since I'm there to enjoy myself and not to compare and contrast.

17. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Love being out camping and i never worry what other people think about my PUP. No one has ever said a word about mine. I'm grateful that spent less than 2000 for the camper as it sits in the back yard. We camp about 8-10 times a year. Can't imagine spending 50k on something i'm not using very often.

18. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Welcome to the Portal from WNC....We are now in a HTT but love the canvas. agree with you about outside is for camping.

19. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Camped in our popup for many years and the memories we made were great

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We went up to Acadia and then over to the White Mountains in New Hampshire and was really surprised how many pups we saw on the road and in the campgrounds.

We have stayed in many, many CGs and folks with pups are usually outside and the folks in the big 5ers are usually, well...no where to be seen...

But we have been places where everyone no matter what they are camping in are outside!!