Heading from P'up to P'out

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by yetavon, Apr 13, 2013.

1. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

and not sure if I want to go... In 1985 we bought a basic canvas tent on a trailer, 1968 coleman if I remember ,and now on our 4th P'up, all have been simple campers, no fancy heater AC fridge and such. Last year with the arrival of a Grandson, the DW began talking about moving up, and started looking at HTT's. I just cant camp in a box,and love the open feeling the tent ends give.Well just happened to troll craiglist before our next trip and found what looks like a good deal on a 2001 Jayco 21C just 30 miles from the campsite (120 miles from home) I called, chatted and It is about 99.99% chance that we are going camping without taking our P'up, and picking up our NTU P'out on the way....Now the fun really begins...What should we take from the P'up? The camper is empty. Power cords water sewer...all new parts for us...got to re-wire the truck and add a brake controler...dont know if my Kayak will fit in the truck with the new camper. Been looking over check lists, and info and this is turning into a massive adventure, hopefully with a good ending. We will be pressed for time on thursday to get it picked up, moved to the GC and set up before dark.
    Anyone have any words of wisdom (or warning) my ears are open....

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Make a temporary hook-up for the trailer connector, like a pig-tail, then you can fiddle with those wires. Then do the ones on your truck properly when you get back...
    It'll be a lot easier and faster than crawling under your TV!

3. yetavon

I have the 4pin now, need the 7pin and brakes...I have pulled a car trailer without brakes over the mountain...was interesting. Its mostly flat an interstate between here and the camp so Its more a want than a need at this point.

4. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

If your buying sight unseen, what happens if its not what it seems. There goes your trip. I would purpose to go get it beforehand and then you know what your dealing with. Your only talking 80 miles, 2+/-hrs. I have wasted 4 hrs drive on worst things than a pup. But I dont mind driving, I do it for a living, so to me its not bad. Then you can pack everything you want and need and not have to scrimp due to space. Just my [2C].

5. bropaul

bropaul New Member

We bought our second pup on eBay and had to pick it up from upstate NY. We were not aware it had 7 pin and we only had the 4 pin on our van. The seller threw in a 'pigtail' and we drove back to our north Detroit suburb without any problems. I think DH kept our max speed at 55 and allowed extra room for stopping. We did get the brake controller and 7 pin installed before our first camping trip... the added control and handling (and safety) were evident even to me and I'm just the navigator!

Having said that, you will love the added features. DH thought A/C was a little 'extreme', but it is used quite often when we camp with hook ups. It makes sleeping on a hot summer night much more comfortable. We still dry camp, so having the 3 way frig is wonderful! Having 'on board' water is very convenient... since age was making those 5 gal water jugs much too heavy for me.

Happy camping!
    Diane

6. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

7. yetavon

Thks for the replies...yes the site on inspection does concern us, but have many pictures and spent a bunch of time on the phone. but due to some other issues, I'm taking my 1 day off this week and going to look. We have a friend also camping there so we planned on bringing a tent just in case...It comes complete with WD hitch and sway controler...

8. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

The hitch ball may be larger than the one for the PUP. I know on mine it's over the 2" one.

BTW, Congrats on the new unit.

9. BigBaron

I suggested a pigtail because I didn't think you would have the time to properly install a 7-blade receiver. If it's flat, you can get away w/o brakes if you are more cautious. Can you find out how the connector on the trailer is wired? They are not all the same...
    Here's the Coachmen wiring...
    [​IMG]
    And e-trailer's...
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps!

10. yetavon

Just my luck.......seems they dont have the title now, Its in the mail...but still want me to buy... [:(!] [:(!] said no and they got madd and hung up 1st, then called back making other offers....as quoted from my old favorite show....
    " DANGER DANGER WILL ROBERTSON"

BUT
    going to look at another one in the morning.... [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

11. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

We were contemplating Hybrid and Dark Side then a Fleetwood Avalon found its way to my iPad screen. I was sold and after some email negotiation I we found a way for me to get a good deal and the dealer to still make a couple bucks. This thing has everything the Hybrid does and it is still a pup. I recommend you see if there is one in your area for sale. The one I found was in fresh outta the wrapper condition. I took it out for a couple days close to home so I could load all my stuff in which worked great. I do not think you would be disappointed in one of these units.

12. yetavon

Thanks BJess, the one thing we (AKA The Boss) want is the access to the camper without raising it up. We have looked at the larger P'ups with a slide and cassette bath, more room than we need and get heavy. we plan on doing more travel trips in the future so the park and turtle for the night is very appealing.

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

FOR SURE, yetavon, RUN AWAY FROM "we don't have the title yet". And don't look back. That was the only problem I had with my pup. Guy was selling it for someone, they signed the title, but DMV was not happy. So at least make sure it's a clear and clean title as well. Your city tax collector should be able to help with that, I think?

Can't wait till the 22nd!! It's music festival time!!!! Sewerfest, here I come! [:O] [A] [LOL]

[:D]

14. Clive

Clive New Member

So glad we don't have your title business in the UK. Here you want it, see it, drive it away after handing over the folding stuff of course, job done.

15. yetavon

Well the other one was viewed today....given the story of " Bought it brand new in 2005 and never used it" told it had some damage and needed some work.....as I approach my heart starts to fall....tank cover rotting, faded and peeling stickers, AC shroud half gone. open the door and look up to bubbles in the ceiling, trim vinyl peeling away....and a smell....took a few seconds to register....new vinyl smell....notice that the blinds still have the paper tags on them, Refrigerator, stove and microwave still have the paper work in them....gas bottles full from the dealer....from 8 years ago????? The bathroom is trashed from hail breaking the skylite, but the soapdish and towel holder still wrapped in plastic! Can it be true that this poor thing has been sitting in the back yard and ignored all these years???? open the toilet and.......the black tank is empty and clean, no smell at all. It was sad to listen to the story of how they bought it planning on retiring and camping, and he passed away a few months back without them ever camping ONE TIME....
    the camper now sits in my yard, to be cleaned and start packing tomorrow, and its 1st trip with her 2nd owners will be in 36 hours.

16. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

Sorry to hear of the previous owners demise but we got ours the same way. (someone's) Grandpa retired, bought the PUP, used it 2-3 times then backed it into the garage for more two decades. The appliances looked brand new.

Looked is the operative word now. We've used it a bit. [:D]

17. BigBaron

Yetavon - Congrats on the new trailer!
    Caution - the tires are eight years old.
    New ones are almost mandatory, regardless of where it was stored.

18. yetavon

The new addition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She is pack and hooked up and awaiting me to get done at work....only 22 more hours to go. [A]

19. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Very nice y'all! Can't wait to see it at the sewer!! [8D] Or at Uwharrie....aren't you going to that one in May??

[:D]

20. yetavon

Its in the planning if Dawn can get Friday off.