Heading South Again

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by woodentoy, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

i have not camped at oregon inlet, but i had planned on it and after watching most of the youtube videos of others there, decided against it (at least for the time being - honestly i'm dying to camp there :) )

all i know is i have yet to see a video of the place that isn't completely wind-blown :)

BillyMc likes this.
  2. RobertZ

RobertZ New Member Gold Supporting Member

Have a great trip and please post trip updates with pics for us to travel vicariously with you!

woodentoy likes this.
  3. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Prepare and you'll be fine. We really enjoyed our stay. As I've said I grew to hate the beach, but really enjoyed Oregon Inlet. It was more like the trips to the beach we took growing up.

4. woodentoy

woodentoy Member Silver Supporting Member

Thank you, last year we stayed at Crooked River SP in your state. It was really a beautiful park and we enjoyed the whole area. The only downside was the midges, they were brutal! This was around the 3rd week in March.

tzmartin and RobertZ like this.
  5. Campgrandma

Campgrandma Member

When in Pensacola be sure to stop at Pensacola NAS to see the Navy Aviation Museum! You can get on base to visit as a civilian because it is a National museum, It is absolutely fascinating!

woodentoy and Indiobravo like this.
  6. woodentoy

Thank you, we have heard about it and will certainly plan a visit. Hope that you are well and safe in TX. You're getting some Maine weather this year.

7. Campgrandma

Campgrandma Member

We certainly did! Our family and friends weathered it well. But so many people in Texas had catastrophic damage from the freeze.

woodentoy likes this.
  8. woodentoy

Rained last night here in Maine and everything is glazed over. We'll be heading out at 7 for our
    first night in Edgewood MD. We stay in a motel the first night as the campgrounds there are closed.
    Odin is all excited!

Indiobravo and Rik Peery like this.
  9. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema New Member

I 100% agree with Campgrandma. If in Pensacola, the Naval Air Museum is a must! The price is right (free) and the sights are AWESOME. I believe you can often catch the Blue Angels at practice on Wednesdays there also. The Blue Angels are stationed off Pensacola Air Station.

Going to Fort Pickens Campground in Pensacola at spring break. Can't wait to get out of the Michigan cold (it's getting old) and go back to the Air Museum. Beach time will also be nice!

woodentoy and Indiobravo like this.
  10. woodentoy

Spending the first night in the camper for 2021. We’re at a KOA in Lumberton NC, 75 degrees when we rolled in. We’ll be in Florida tomorrow at Mike Roses State Park and then on to Rainbow Springs on Friday. So far so good.

tzmartin and BillyMc like this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Counting the day until retirement. Roughly a month after my 65th birthday the youngest grandson should be graduating HS. Been planning a multi-month mega trip. Working our way up to the UP and west across the northern states up to Alaska. Spend a couple weeks there and down through Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and across the Gulf Coast back home by winter.

Indiobravo and woodentoy like this.
  12. woodentoy

Leaving NC in about an hour, we’ll wave on our way by. Rt# 2 goes right across the top of the country, you won’ t be disappointed in the UP, absolutely beautiful. You’ll go right through SD, Teddy Roosevelt NP, was one of our favorites. We hope to be back out West in the fall.

BillyMc and Indiobravo like this.
  13. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

Did you hit south of the Border? Well... you can always visit on the way back LOL.

14. woodentoy

We’re in Mike Roses state park right now, heading to Rainbow Springs this morning.

tzmartin likes this.