Heading to Ft. Wilderness in the morning

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by mckeapc67, May 23, 2013.

1. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We'll be heading out to Ft. Wilderness in the morning (5/24). Any other PUP members going to be there?

I've seen numerous reviews here; but, we'll let you know our thoughts after the trip.

2. Nixie

Nixie New Member

I am jealous :)

3. campermom

campermom Member

Looks like great weather for the weekend [:D]. Have a BLAST!!!!

4. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

Super jealous!! Disney is my happy place! Will love to read a review as were thinking in the next year or two driving down from maine with the PUP for a week at FT wilderness.

5. chiefjefe

chiefjefe New Member

We will be there too, leaving Sat. morning

6. Sam III

Sam III New Member

We are heading down next Saturday morning !!!

7. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Hey, we'd like to plan a trip down in the fall so please post your likes, dislikes etc., to fill us in on the trip.
    Thanks,

Doc

8. Sam III

Sam III New Member

Will do doc!

9. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Fort Wilderness was Wonderful!! I can definitely see why some folks go there just to experience the campground and not worry about the theme parks.

We arrived on Saturday (5/25) morning around 10:30 and were quickly checked in and sent to the campsite in the 1600 loop. It was great to get checked in without even having to leave the vehicle and it only took 5-10 minutes. The cast member checking us in was very friendly and gave our DD's some stickers and stuff too.

The campsite was a full-hookup sight and had plenty of room for the PUP since they are quite long. We chose to keep the pup on the paved pad and not back into the packed sand/clay part of the pad. With this configuration, my power cord was a few feet short; so, I had to use my extension (the first time I've used it). After completing our setup and looking back, I wish I would have put the wheels into the sand/clay part of the site. It would have eliminated the ankle hazard that the edge of the pavement made under our rug. The site was quite roomy and shady and very near to the comfort station.

On of the nice benefits was that that there was an ice machine at each confort station. Although $2 is a little more for a small bag of ice than I was used to paying, it was very convenient. I found that bringing a small foam ice-chest to the machine actually worked better than using their supplied bags. The machine always over-filled the bags so some of the ice was lost on the ground. I could catch it all in the ice chest. I did notice on the cost that the local Orlando WalMart was actually more expensive on the ice (go figure).

The Disney transportation (busses) were very frequent and the bus stop was only a very short (maybe 100 yard) walk from our site.

Our site was also pretty close to the Meadow area of the campground which had the pool, trading post, playground, tennis courts, etc.. They had a campfire, character sing-along, and movie there nightly too; but, we didn't attend those.

The comfort stations were very nice and clean and the laundry facility at the comfort station was nice too. My DW did laundry at mid-week and it was very convenient.

There are lots of activities at Fort Wilderness many of which are "pay for play"; but overall lots to do with no additional cost.

We ate dinner at only 4 Disney resort restaurants and the Trails End buffet dinner (at Ft. Wilderness) was by far the best. Most of our meals where prepared at the campsite like we normally do when camping. We did eat a quick meal at the park once or twice and ate at the local CiCi Pizza when we made our mid-week grocery run.

Bottom line is that I would recommend the Fort Wilderness campground to anyone. I think our next Disney trip (if we take one) will be planned with more time at the campground built in for R&R and less at the hussle and bussle of the theme parks. Like I mentioned earlier, I can see why people may go there just for the camground. I certainly would, on occasion, if it wasn't a 10 hr drive from home.

With the exception of hearing the 9:00 Epcot Fireworks and 10:00 Magic Kingdom Fireworks, it was very peaceful and quiet in the campground. We were visited every morning by turkeys walking around as well as seeing some deer in the campground. Squirrels & birds where plentiful.

On a side note, there were probably as many PUPs in the campground as other RV's.

10. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Thanks for the review!! It has always been a dream of mine to camp at Disney!

11. krinen

krinen Real Women Camp

Me, too!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

12. chiefjefe

chiefjefe New Member

We were just there for the Memorial Day weekend. Have been to Ft. Wilderness three times. This time we took the ferry from Ft. Wilderness to the Wilderness Lodge and had dinner there one night which was a nice excursion. I agree with CoolDad's writeup its a very nice place to camp although it does come with a Disney pricetag!

13. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Don't know if This is allowed or not, but if you go to the web site FortFiends.net you can find out about almost anything at Fort Wilderness.

14. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review, we're looking forward to going down sometime maybe Oct., when it's cooler and less expensive.

Doc