Heading to Gatlinburg

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by 3jsdawgs, Jul 21, 2011.

1. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

Boys are coming home from their summer stay in Florida at their grandparents house's. They stay at DW parents house several weeks then my parents house and come home just in time for school to start. So we decided to go camping again before school started. We stay at Greenbriar Island campground just outside of Gatlinburg. We really like it there and so do the kids. They have a nice swimming area the boys love and the Little Pigion river flows around it so you can go tubing too and end up at the swimming hole. DW and I were there 2 weeks ago and can't wait to go back. Small pup prob. I have to take care of first. On return trip home right side pup break siezed up in five lanes of traffic in Knoxville and blew my tire which was 1 month old. [:(!] Did a road side fix and got home but want to redo brakes before this trip. I've got 2 weeks to take care of it. Gatlinburg here we come!!!! [:D]

2. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

My hubby and I just got back from Gatlinburg, we love it there! Hope you get everything working and have fun!!!

3. papachaz

papachaz New Member

sorry about the brake/tire problem. thanks for the info on the CG, we love going to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, but we've never taken the pup, now we know where to stay. we've looked at some of the campgrounds in the townsend area, but they seem kinda pricey.

hows the rates there? have fun when you go back!

4. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

thanks 3J! i did google it and put it in my favorites with my other campgrounds. looks and sounds like a great place. we were wondering where we might be able to stay up there. i like the idea of the national park, except DW is not into the boondocking thing!

so we'd have to get a full hook up site to take the cocker spaniel? might be a good weekend to leave her with the daughter! [LOL]

6. robsheila

robsheila New Member

We're going to Gatlinburg soon. Been vacationing there for years. We enjoy hiking to the waterfalls -- avoiding Pigeon Forge as much as possible. We always stay at Smoky Bear Campground. It's about 15 miles east of Gatlinburg on Rt. 321. They charge around $35 a night, only 48 sites, owners live on the premises, and treat you like family. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

7. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

we also stayed at one called crazy horse(name might have changed since then) one time before. it was nice, had a place kids could fish, swimming pool and big water slide too. my only problem was it was right off of 321 and when i'm camping I don't like to listen to the traffic all night long. Most campgrounds in the pigeon forge/gatlinburg area are to much like a tourist trap for me. I've been camping since I could walk(parents have the pictures) and it's mostly been in state parks. I'm originally from Ocala, FL so every summer we were at Alexander Springs, or one of the local springs in the area. I guess that's why I like green briar because it's kinda tucked away and more private than the other local campgrounds. I told DW if I have to camp next to a main highway I might as well stay home. Now I wish I hadn't of mentioned the springs cause other than family they're the only thing I miss from FL. Crystal clear 72degree water. loved it. alright i'm babbling now and my insomnia is in full effect so i'll end this now. happy camping to all...

8. roughin-it

roughin-it New Member

we just got back from pigeon forge. Sadly I have to say that we could have saved more money by driving our car down and staying in those $19 night hotels then the campground we stayed in. That is about the only place I know of that is so cheap that camping is actually more expensive.

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Don't worry, boondocking is not allowed in the park! The park does have some excellent campgrounds though. We love staying in the park away from the crowds in town, and up amidst the natural beauty.

You can get showers at commercial campgrounds outside the park incidentally. Or jump in one of the rivers!

10. FC

FC Central Florida

Stay cool and enjoy.... [:D]

11. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

Gatlinburg in mid-July .... reminds me of a song [Guitar]

12. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

taking off on Thursday for our trip. Boys can't wait and neither can I [:D]

13. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

Had to work a lot more than I thought. Thats actually a good thing. Didn't get the brakes fixed but I think the TV is more than capable of stopping itself plus the pup. I love the big brakes on my Dodge 2500 and that big cummins even more. Thursday I'll be setting the cruise and rolling out.

14. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Robsheila we stayed at Smokey Bear Campground back in April we treated like family i like the small cg would go back, 3jsdawg it should not be so busy there with school starting back soon.

15. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

"Somewhere in that Smokey Mountain rain"?

16. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

We were leaving early right after our kids registration only to find out today that Thurs. is the unofficial/official first day of school. 8 till 12, all kids not there will be counted as absent. Nice two days heads up on that one. We won't let that slow us down though.

17. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

Rain has slowed my packing but I'll just have to get up early to get it done if I can sleep that is :) If only the sun would hurry up and rise..

18. 3jsdawgs

3jsdawgs New Member

well just settling back in from our trip. Had a blast, nobody was ready to come home. Gatlinburg and surrounding areas were much busyer than I expected. Kids had a blast swimming and tubing at camp and in the park. Were all tired and going to bed now.

19. unclebuck13

unclebuck13 New Member

Has anyone ever stayed in the National Park in Cades Cove? We are thinking about going down there in March and staying in Cades Cove campground. Any thoughts on this?

20. ricko

ricko Member

March might be a little cool... having grown up in that neck of the woods it wasn't unusual to have snow AFTER spring break, especially up in the mountains.

If you have a furnace it shouldn't be too bad.

There's a couple of really great places in Townsend that have full hookups (think space heater). Tremont is by far our favorite and the KOA is better than most KOA's.

Ricko