Heading to the coast and looping back through the Cascades!

KissingCamper

Jun 19, 2011
Three Hills, AB
Well, I'm just about beside myself with excitement. We are taking out a few on my bucket list and I can't wait. From Three Hills, Ab we overnight it near Spokane, WA and then onto Mt. Ranier for a few. We then are off to the Olympic Nat for a few nights in Kalaloch then head south down the coast. Hitting Cannon Beach and doing the dune buggy thing in Florence, OR. We then move further down to Crescent City and spend a few in the Redwoods Nat. Looping around to hit Cater Lake, Lassen Volcanic and McArthur Burney Falls. 6,000 k's in 21 days!

Ram Freezy

Feb 24, 2013
What an awesome trip through some beautiful country! Ambitious too - I love it! Have a great time. Here are some previews for you...

Oregon coast at Manzanita
DSCN2644_zpsf74879a7.jpg

Crater Lake (this doesn't do justice to the deep blue color of that water)
DSCN2488_zps2d880f60.jpg

vjlarson

Super Active Member
May 31, 2011
We've done parts of that trip and it was wonderful. Have a really great time.

PDieter

Aug 16, 2011
That's all just backyard camping...now at trip to AB that sounds great. [:D]

If you can work grand coulee into that trip across WA I would recommend it. ( the coulee not necessarily the dam...although its a good interpretive center). If you are into geology at all then it is mandatory; nothing else like it on the planet.

Twisty

Super Active Member
Aug 24, 2008
Hillsboro, Oregon
Busy trip... :)
I suggest staying at Fort Stevens CG, skipping Cannon Beach (touristy traffic jams and many $$$) and then going to the Three Capes Scenic Loop south of Tillamook. Stay at Cape Lookout CG, unless you are driving through the area and clocking the km's.
I spent some time at Lassen a couple years ago and plan on going back for more to see other parts.
Please see Devil's Kitchen!

There are 3 CG's between Chester and Drakesbad on the Chester Warner Valley Road. Warner Valley CG is not fit for trailers of any kind.
Eat at the Cotton Candy Diner in Chester.
We stayed at the Shingletown KOA for easy access to the park. Site #31 is the best one.
Butte Lake CG is marked for my next trip. Enter the park up on the NE side and see the lava flows, Butte Lake and the Cinder Cone.

Crater Lake is nice! Don't miss The Pinnacles!

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
Crater Lake is fantastic. I've been there three times and am going back again this year. Take the boat ride on the lake if you are up to the hike from the rim to water (>700 feet elevation change) and back up.

Hyperterex

Super Active Member
Jan 1, 2010
You must hit "Avenue of the Giants" if you're in the area around Garberville on hwy 101. Lots of beautiful trails and some of the biggest Redwoods in the world. Nice gift shop too in the area.

KissingCamper

Jun 19, 2011
Three Hills, AB
[;)]
Well we have just made it to Sequin Bay - Love Mt Rainier! But our poppup took a hit. The frame at the front twisted and sent the tongue up AGAIN!!! So we made it safe to Puyallup and bought a brand new 1910 Rockwood Freedom. Got a trade in on our unit of $1500. Crossing the border will be a challenge me thinks.

Ludercrous

May 14, 2013
Wow! What a way to start your trip! It sounds like you are planning on hitting all my favorite places. I'm glad you have the means to replace your PUP so you can continue as (almost) planned, only brand spanking new!

I too hope the border doesn't give you headaches on the way back home.

Kach

Sep 26, 2011
Congrats on the rig! Did you buy it at South Hill? It's about 2 miles from my house!

Take the trip out to La Push if you go through Forks and have time, it's a beautiful area. The hike-in beaches are even nicer than the drive-up ones, and some of the hikes are very short. Neah Bay and Shi-Shi beach are cool areas as well (although the towns aren't very scenic on that side of the peninsula). I've tent camped right on Lake Quinault and also a beautiful area. There are three campgrounds on Quinault and I think the first one or two would have spots for a pop-up.

You could spend weeks just in the Olympics alone. It's my go-to area for backpacking and camping!

The Oregon Coast is great as well!

Hope the rest of your trip goes well!

KissingCamper

Jun 19, 2011
Three Hills, AB
Yup got a good deal at South Hill and wonderful people to work with. We showed up at 1pm and left 5:30 with our super cool unit. Thanks for all the wonderful input of you favourite places in WA and OR we will try to take you up on these spots but since it was our first go around we booked these CG's well in advance:
Kalaloch, Olympic National Park
Fort Stevens State Park
Jessie M Honeyman State Park
Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park
Manzanita Lake
Diamond Lake Campground
Perry South Campground

Hey if anyone is around in any of these CG would love to meet you over coffee or a cool drink.

KissingCamper

Jun 19, 2011
Three Hills, AB
So we have traveled this distance to Cranbrook BC, and feeling kinda low. We thought that we would be picking up the title to the new trailer in Spokane at a friends house but we were sorrily disappointed to find instead of a title we got a letter from the RV dealership. They need the VIN plate from our old trade in (which was removed do to a hitch welding repair) and it is in our house back in Alberta. Thought that maybe we could get through the border with the purchase receipt - but no way that was happening. So hopefully we can get this sorted out this week and come and get it from the business we left it with on the long weekend. [:(]

vjlarson

Super Active Member
May 31, 2011
I'm so sorry. What a huge disappointment for you. Hopefully all will be worked out soon.

KissingCamper

Jun 19, 2011
Three Hills, AB
Well it looks as though we things are going sideways. The trade-in needs to be imported at a port entry and is not tow-able unless it gets fixed. Dealership won't release the title without the form. What would you do?