Heat in the Bathroom

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by generok, Mar 13, 2019.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

One of the weird things I noticed when we bought our TT was there was no heat vent in the bathroom, but there was A/C. Once we looked in other RVs, we saw that was pretty common. The problem is it's normally chilly here, and the bathroom can be cool even if the rest of the TT is at temp. What we've been doing is pulling in the little space heater we have to warm it up for a shower, but there's really no good spot for it.

What I wanted was a toekick heater, but the sink vanity is smaller than residential and I can't find a unit that will fit.

Has anyone come up with a permanently mounted idea for heat in the bathroom? If so, I'd love to hear your ideas. I realize we'd only be able to run electric heat if we have shore power or run the genny, and I can live with that.

TIA!

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

That is strange! I will have to pay attention to that in the future... my furnace actually lives in the bathroom under a large closet so it stays nice & warm. Is there anywhere you could tap into a duct and run a new section to the bathroom?? My trailer is small and uses in-cabinet vents/ ducts, but I am guessing yours is in-floor and probably more complex.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Can you add heating coils to your AC unit and get ducted heat into the bathroom that way?

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My TT has a furnace duct that blows on the bathroom floor. It warms your feet when you sit on the toilet...lol

When it's not cool enough for the furnace, we use a small ceramic heater in the TT. We usually put it on the stove, but sometimes put it on the bathroom counter before a shower.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just have baked-beans for dinner the night before. They'll either warm the place up or make you move quicker and generate more heat.

neighbormike and tfischer like this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

You can also light the resulting gas, and extract the full BTU content from it. Doing that in a close quarters shower could turn it into a kitchen, cooking things that should not be cooked.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I probably could, but I'd need to modify the controls because right now it only sends heat demand to the furnace, and cooling demands to the A/C. I could probably figure it out since many units have heat strips in the A/C and ALSO have a furnace.

You've got me thinking in a new direction though, so thanks!

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

we have a small electric heater that is a plug mount with a digital thermostat. It hangsin the electrical plug. I think its like 400 watts. It keep our bathroom nice and warm.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I went to Lowes and bought 2 vents, I cut the hole out of the bathroom door and framed in the gap with some wood strips i cut down for that. (not a solid door) I installed the vents ( one on each side of the door) with the vents pointing down so no one can see into the bathroom. It made a big difference as far as the bathroom being cold, also it helps to cool it during the summer.