Heat

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Krazyk1879, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

those of you that don’t have a furnace like me what do y’all heat with on cool days and nights

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have the furnace and it is way to much heat for the small footprint POPUP trailers... Runs us out big time...

I usually use a oil-fill small profile electric heater and plug into the 20AMP Service at the camp ground using an extension cord so that it will not take away anything from the 30A Pedestal connection... We like this style of electric heater as it has no open flame or red hot cores to deal with... Can sit a 10-inch fan behind it if we need to push out some heat somewhere...
    [​IMG]

I also have a MR BUDDY setup running off of a 1lb canister...

We would rather get under the covers on the beds... We do have two Sleeping bags zipped together and this is used as the top bed cover. If it really really gets cold we just slip into the sleeping bag...

When I am solo camping I am more at home sleeping outside under a single tarp stretched between two trees haha... Sure makes that first cup of coffee sitting by a Creekside Bon-Fire taste so good haha...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our first, tiny, pup had not furnace. If we knew it was apt to be cold, we tried to get power, for an electric space heater and electric mattress pad. Heat retention measures were important with or without power, even with having a furnace - rugs on the floor, PUGs on the bunk ends, fleece (or Bunk End Liners) clipped up around the bunk ends and any side areas not covered by insulated curtains.
    We camped into the teens in both popups (not deliberately), and into the 20s without. Both were small enough that we had enough trouble finding a safe place to put the electric space heater, we never used an LP one.
    Here's a section with more ideas: https://www.popupportal.com/forums/cold-weather-camping.104/

jmkay1 likes this.
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

When camping with shore power we sometimes use a milkhouse heater. They are fan forced, low noise, and no annoying red glow when I'm trying to sleep.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Don't need heat while sleeping, same as home. Heat at home goes off at 8pm and comes back on at 4:30.....regardless of outside temps

WVhillbilly likes this.
  6. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

7. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

So do all camp sites have both 30A and a 20A and if so they do charge extra to use both

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

We sometimes use a heater similar to @roybraddy . For us it's supplemental, if we think it will be so cold the built-in propane heater won't be enough.

I also highly recommend adding anti-fatigue foam tiles under the mattresses. It really adds both comfort and insulation under your bed. I did it because we needed more comfort and we couldn't fit a mattress topper. But found that it really helps us stay warm too!

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If at an electrical site, I will use a portable heater. I have on both campers with a remote control.

When camping without hookups (95% of the time), I use Mr Heater in the clipper and Mr Heater Little Buddy in the FnR.

i only use the heaters when I'm awake. I don't sleep with them on. With the the Mr Heaters, I set them in the sink while they run. It works well and I don't worry about knocking them over.

While I sleep, I use good bedding. I am quite comfortable.

With the electric heaters, I have ones with remotes. So I can switch them on when I wake. They get the chill out of the air before I get up.

With the Mr Heaters, I turn them on when I make my first bathroom stop of the morning. Then I hop back into bed and read until it warms up.

I will say that I do not sleep with heat at home. I keep my bedroom cold for a better sleep.

10. BillyMc

While most sites I've camped at has 30amp/20amp power. Some also have 50amp service and I've seen one that only 50amp. Some have no electric and some older ones have 15amp power. Most sites the power is included in the camp fee, but I can't speak for all.

kitphantom likes this.
  11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have heat however if I have AC power but a cube heater does great for Pebbles and I of course we are in a small TT, but I used the same in all the PUP's that I have had. I closed off the unused bed by pulling the curtains together on the unused bed.

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have never run into that... This is a typical Camp Site pedestal...
    [​IMG]
    Google Image

I plug in all of my outside needs into the pedestal 20AMP service... I always plug my Oil Filled heater into this connection with a separate extension cord… This does not take away any power from the 30A connection...

One place we go to a lot here in Virginia has both non-electric tent camping sites and Electric sites in the same area. Not unusual to have someone come up dragging a long extension cord asking if they can plug into our 20A service haha... I followed one back one time and it was actually was feeding three or four tent camping sites haha... I just covered up the cord with leaves at my site... As Sgt Shultz says "I know nothing???"

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. kitphantom

Whether or not a campsite has power, or charges for it, depends on the campground. We use mostly public campgrounds - state and national parks, US Forest Service, etc., mostly in the 4 Corners states, and the majority of those do not have power. As campgrounds have been updated, more are having power added to some sites. Often there is a surcharge, but not always. For example, at one AZ SP we've camped in several times, if you pay the surcharge for power at a site, they unlock the power column; otherwise, the cover is locked shut.

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I use a small 1500W ceramic heater I got from Target. Has a thermostat on it, fan and oscillates. It does a fine job heating the interior. I also have a Mr. Heater portable buddy propane heater. I have used it for tent camping in the past, and in a pinch it will work in the pup, but I always camp with electric so I have never needed to bring it.

15. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

Now what about these 12v heating mattresses where can I find me some of them babys if been looking and can’t seem to find them

16. kitphantom

I'm not sure I've seen replacements, though they are original equipment on some brands/models.
    The company that makes the 110v mattress pads we have for home and in the camper also makes a 12v one, but it's only in twin size. Not sure I'd leave it on all night on battery power, though. (Heating eats battery power.) https://electrowarmth.com/product-category/12-volts-bunk-warmers/

17. BillyMc

I like that system, but I'd expand on it. 30 amp one price, 50 amp cost double, and lock and charge extra for on site sewer as well.

FARfetched likes this.
  18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I bought a queen sized heating mattress pad last year - 110v though, but it does have dual zones so I can keep it warm on one side, and be able to kick a leg over to the cold zone when needed. Walmart sells 12V blankets as well. I have one for the car as my wife gets cold on long trips in the fall/winter.

19. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I am the odd duck here. I have had too many problems with the Buddy heater, mostly plastics failures causing problems..

I have several models of the Coleman Catalytic heaters, which I bring out for various conditions. The 518B for small spaces and cool to cold temps. Say a 10x10 tent, or truck camper.
    [​IMG]

I also have the Coleman 515 5K - 8K BTU heater for larger spaces or colder temps. It keeps my 10x20 3 room tent beyond warm in the coldest winters we can muster here in Texas

With ANY fuel consuming appliance, provide plenty of fresh air intake so you don't die. Read the owners manual if you can get your hands on one, Coleman wants constant airflow accross these things...

For electrical, with hook ups, I like using the oil filled radiant heaters, they are MUCH safer and provide a more even comfortable heat.

neighbormike likes this.
  20. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Since we've been tent campers and never camped with electric or water on site, we mostly do what we've always done. We have winter sleeping bags that we zip together, if it's going to be REALLY cold, then we put our summer sleeping bags inside. Normal cold, not bitter cold, we use just the regular winter sleeping bags without the summer sleeping bags inside.
    With the pup we now get electric and water and have used an electric blanket inside the winter sleeping bag zipped together; so no summer sleeping bag inside it.
    If it's cold after we get up and enjoying our coffee, then we use the electric space heater to take the chill off.
    We've never used our propane heater in our camper. My feeling is if it's that cold why am I out there? If we can't dress to be comfortable, then it's probably too cold to be camping. jmho