Heat

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Krazyk1879, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Me too.

No power, I have an Atwood furnace in both my Pup and my FWC pop up camper. On those infrequent occasions I’ve camped in flat out below freezing weather, I also use a Buddy heater. Reason is running the Buddy requires no battery. It’s actually a fairly common approach among the boondock crowd.

Dbhost’s post on Coleman heaters is good too. My uncle had a 513? Maybe 515? when we were kids. It heated well.

2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

When we try to use the furnace in the pup it sets the smoke alarm off [:(!]
    Daughter uses a Mr Buddy heater in hers, but only enough to get it warm before bed.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sounds like the exhaust maybe clogged and dangerous.

4. WVhillbilly

Nope, all clear and a new trailer.
    Think it's burning oil or paint off the furnace and it's setting the detector off.
    I wasn't going to diagnose it at 1 am, so I turned it off, turned the heated mattress up and went back to bed. :grin:

Raycfe and HappyTraveler like this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

6. WVhillbilly

Yea, I meant to bring it home and just run the furnace with the detector battery pulled for a while and hopefully clean it up.
    But, this summer was pretty busy and I never fooled with it. :(

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

FWIW, The temps really rocketed down this week as we were losing the world series. (grumble), I am going to fire up the 513B, the 1980s one that looks like an alien computer robot from Star Trek, it puts out about 5K BTU, The original 513 I believe was a 3K - 5K BTU adjustable mushroom head unit, the 515, which I have one, is a 5K - 8K BTU adjustable mushroom head unit. I like the mushroom head models better than the newer ones just on a usability perspective, they seem to take longer to light, but the dome covers fold back far enough you aren't going to scorch them on lighting. My 513B which is a 5K BTU alien computer robot thing, and my 518B which is just a cylinder looking thing, both don't allow the dome cover to fold completely out of the way. That's why you see most of those models with scorched paint on the top... A pity too...

For a pop up, I would probably go with a 515 or the newer 5 - 8K adjustable I just don't recall the model #. I never fire them up until the temps get into the 30s. And even then run them only at night, or to heat up a space to retreat from the cold when doing cold weather activities. Not a huge thing here in Texas, HOWEVER, I have used the 515 to heat up an old 26' travel trailer that had no heater on a hunting trip. The overnight temps were down into the low teens, and we were nice and cozy with that coleman heater... Just allow plenty of fresh air, and don't allow anything to come into contact with the heater. Common sense space heater things you know...

8. Ironmonger

Ironmonger New Member

I was just ready to ask the same thing!

9. Ironmonger

Ironmonger New Member

In my younger days I tent camped year around. Learned my cold weather tenting skills from a WWII vet who spent Christmas 1944 at Bastogne. Keep tent loose, bed of straw beneath base tarp, tarp over the sleeping bags. Pressure lamp for light/ heat before retiring, no heat on after going to bed. Made it hard to make those midnight bathroom trips!
    Don't sleep with your socks on, put them under you, sleep with a sock hat on.
    Now that I have an old PU I've changed a few things. Still don't run any heat once I go to bed. Might boil a pot of water before going to bed or run a Coleman pressure lamp to build up a bit of heat. I've got an old Coleman catalytic heater, but haven't tried it yet. First one up lights the stove and puts on water for coffee. It's worked so far.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Test it in the middle of a concrete driveway and stay back as far as you can. Learned my lesson with an old lantern a while back. Leaking seal made a big fireball and then a stream of fire where there shouldn't be fire. It was cold and wet outside so I decided to test everything for an upcoming trip in the garage (with the doors closed).

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I never use my onboard heat. On the clipper, I had the propane line to the heater closed off due to a leak in the heater.

When the weather cools down, I start with adding warmer bedding. A quality blanket and comforter work great during the night. If it's down in the 30s, I will lay an additional blanket on top.

If I am up and out of bed, I use a throw blanket when sitting around. And then I use the Mr. Heater. One 1lb bottle of propane will warm up the clipper or the FnR for a couple days of occasional use - enough to take the ice out of my hands and feet.

12. Ironmonger

Ironmonger New Member

Oh yeah, I've had a couple of Colemans erupt in a ball of fire! If I was lucky I could save it before the globe cracked. I learned to check them over good before lighting them up!

BillyMc likes this.
  13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually camp with hook ups and I use a cube (ceramic) heater and it works fine for us.
    Cool weather is also a good reason to snuggle with the DW (or girl friend)

14. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

BillyMc likes this.
  15. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

We always use the propane furnace, electric site or not. Generally set the heat all the way down at night, which is about 50. Cold enough to feel like you are camping, but not so cold that my face freezes. It also helps with the little ones that are always climbing out of their bags at night.

BillyMc likes this.
  16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

17. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

I watched this video from Australia, the guy used less than 10 litres all winter.

18. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC New Member

Planning on packing a ceramic heater this holiday weekend trip. Low is supposed to be 30 on Saturday night. Probably going to board gaming it inside a good bit and want to at least warm up after playing/hiking/biking outside. We have a mattress pad heater from when we lived where it got truly cold, but probably won't pack it. Have considered the rubber anti-fatigue mats route for both padding and extra insulation.

19. Jwwiff

Jwwiff New Member

We were camping this weekend where the overnight temps were down to 25F. Since we had a hookup, we used two ceramic heaters and electric blankets under the bedding and we were all nice and toasty. I hooked up one heater directly to the pedestal with an extension cord. The electric blankets were ~350 watts each so the two circuits in the camper were able to handle both (the electric heater hooked where the AC would plug into and the blankets into the other circuit.

BillyMc likes this.
  20. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I've been giving this a lot of thought as the temps continue to, here in Texas jump up and down like they are doing double dutch... And it is shaking the rust off the brain to some methods we have done over the years.

#1. Insulate your body. Obviously tough to do when you are showering, but sweat pants / long johns work to bed really help.
    #2. Good cold weather sleeping bags. Mine aren't huge, just 30 deg F bags, but I layer.
    #3. The above mentioned layers. Typically I have additional Mexican woven blankets with me. Use as many as needed.
    #4. Don't forget the warm sleeping partner.

Only run heat when awake. I typically snuff the heater just prior to going to bed, and light it when I get up to do my morning business. Take it back into the tent or camper once it is operating properly, and climb back into bed for a while until it is warm enough to want to actually get out of bed.

Other things like hot water bottles filled right before bed help a lot, until the cool off, then kick them out of bed...