Heated blanket or heated mattress pad?

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by barrientosbunch, Feb 28, 2019.

1. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

What is better for camping with 35 degree temps at night... heated blanket or heated mattress pad?

TIA!!

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Mattress pad with a good cover over you. Heat rises. The mattress pad heats up and the heat pockets between the pad and the cover - which is exactly where you are.

With a blanket, the heat rises above you.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Neither one of my campers had a heated mattress so I just used my electric blanket . Essentially what I currently had available so I didn’t spend any more money. With an electric blanket I found there were still lots of cold pockets. The bed itself was where I felt cold. The cold just seeped through the wood and mattress and caused me to get chills from below. My Popup at the time didn’t have a furnace. A thing to note, is if you are also using an electric heater you may need to put the heater on another circuit. Otherwise you may trip the breaker. Found that out the hard way too. Learned real quick on that trip the importance of Reflectix as well.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My pup has heated mattresses and we have used them. They make a huge difference. The coldest temp that we have employed them is when we had a string of lows to 42*F. We only needed them at half power to keep us toasty warm. Any higher and the heat got way too warm.

I would rather heat from below than heat from above.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've used both heated mattress pads and electric blankets in our pups. The heated mattress pad has been the better choice for us. It's not just that heat rises, it's that there is cold air underneath the bunk, so the heat is between bodies and the outside air. The heated mattress pad we bought for our second pup just fits the short queen in our TT, and it is handy there when it's cold and we have power. (The storage space under the bed is chilly, since there's an access door to the outside, and it's sort of blocked from most cabin heat.)

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a heated mattress pad on mine, really makes a difference. It is a little small (I have kings which nothing fits) but I made it work. I especially like that I can have half the bed running warm and the other half off or low. I tend to sleep hot and I absolutely love being able to kick a leg out of the heat bubble to a nice cool sheet. Obviously only works this way when solo camping, which is most of the time in the pup anyway, so no complaints from me!

7. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

Tell me about Reflectix.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Reflectix can be found in a hardware store. It can be zipped in-between the window canvas and the screen . In the cold it can help to retain heat and in the summer help reflect the sun away from the camper and help keep the heat out a little. With that said it's not going to make the camper like a hard side, but every little bit of insulation helps. As well as putting foam pads under the matress to help keep the cold from seeping through the wood on the bunk ends. Check out our sub forum cold weather camping to give you need additional information. One of the great things about canvas is that it breaths, but at the same time it can get awful drafty in the cold. The more you do cold weather camping the more you realize there are a lot of gaps.

9. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Heated blankets really helped us. There is once a year we camp in cold temps, and while I would be fine she wouldn't. The blanket really helps, to a point I get too hot. We also have a heater though, which is also equally amazing.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Heat retaining measures are a big help in cold weather. I would not camp in a popup in any weather without Popup Gizmos on the bunk end roofs. We never added
    Reflectix to the windows in our pups. We bought and used the Bunk End Liners form Popup Gizmos on a couple of trips in the second pup. I also used fleece clipped up around the bunk end, which worked great for reducing the drafty feeling, but were easy to take down during the day. (The PUGs BELs stayed in place once we put them there at each site.)We camp where there can be large temperature swings, so being able to open the window at least a bit during the day is helpful.
    I made new curtains for the second pup (first one didn't have them, it had window flaps), with room darkening/insulating lining. They helped a lot in cold weather, I clipped fleece up across the one section of wall that didn't have a window in the main cabin area of the pup. I also made a new privacy curtain for the extra bunk with the insulating lining, and closing that off made it easier to keep the cabin and other bunk warmer in cold weather.
    Throw rugs on the floor reduce heat loss in that direction.
    The heated mattress pad or blanket is nice to have, but so much of our camping is without power that taking other measures is more important - when we get to use the heated mattress pad on a cold trip, it's a nice plus. (We do try to find a campsite with power if we know it's going to be very cold or hot, but it's not always possible.)