Heated Mattresses

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
We set up the camper in the driveway today, since we were not able to go somewhere like we had planned.

This is the first time we have used the mattress heaters/controls. made the beds, plugged in the controllers and left 'em to do their thing, set both on 2

2 hours later DD/DW want to go to bed, both beds still ice cold...... hmm, set disconnected, reconnected, checked that they had power ( the dials light up, so thats kinda a no brainer ) set them up on 6 ( highest setting ) and left them for a few while I tried to look up info on them. they did seem to warm up a bit after about 20min. At 150w ea,I'm not expecting roast marshmallows in the sack, but shouldn't these be a bit warmer than just taking the edge off when on high ?

Thermosoft ETL-2 on the controllers, no info found, nothinged about bed heating on the Thermosoft site, check out the FLair Interiors site ( who does the interior of the Flagstaff/Rockwood campers ) only a mention that they have heated mattresses for RV's.....

Am I expecting too much, or is there a possible problem ?

the real thing that tweaks me is I can't turn on the furnace right now, a squirrel has chewed a hole in the propane hose from tank to regulator ( wasting a full tank of LP ), hope to replace the hose tomorrow.

kowboy311mi

Oct 5, 2011
The heat may be going in one direction like a heating pad. They may be upside down and all the heat going towards the bunk as opposed to you and your blankets. Just a thought I have never heard of them before so I'm just throwing out a possible scenario

4x2x2Kx2

3 Nights Camped in '12--but many more to go!
Aug 17, 2011
In our Rockwood (same Forest River parent company as your Flagstaff) it took a little 'tweaking' to get the hang of getting the controls set for comfort. DD and I are both warm natured--if we're looking to knock a slight chill off we'll go about 4 on our controllers and if it's in the upper 20's (as cool as we've camped so far) a 5 did the trick for us. Note that I don't feel the controls adjust in a linear fashion--ie the difference between 3 and 4 vs. 4 to 5 is not the same (the heat seems to ramp up a lot faster from about 4-1/2 to 6 than across the rest of the dial).

IDK that if you just feel the top of our mattresses when the controls are on that they ever really feel 'warm', but once we land in our beds with a cover on it does seem like the heat is quickly captured under us and helps keep us comfortable.

mercman

Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!
Jan 7, 2007
Western MA
They won't be hot to the touch but when you lie down on them you will feel the heat. I put them on 6 for about 30 minutes. I usually lower them to around 3 afterwards. I've left them on high and have woke up in the middle of the night way too warm.

There a great option to have and have made quite a few chilly nights enjoyable.

rawlus

Jul 24, 2011
In my experience it doesn't feel hot to the touch but does radiate warmth well. It's one of those things you may not directly notice when in use, but if you were to turn it off in the middle of the night you'd notice it missing.

mostlyok

We're Mostly OK!
Jun 5, 2005
Sarasota, Florida
You have some serious squirrels up there! Ours only chew our water hoses.

We would have loved Heated Mattresses, I know the Flagstaff we looked at had them.

We have a Heated Mattress pad on our bed in the house. Wonderful things.

Craig57

Mar 29, 2009
We have one working heated mattress and one that does not. You can definitely feel the warmth in the one that works.
OHM out the mattress to see if there is any resistance. If no resistance the mattress has a problem, that will tell you if the problem is in the controller or the mattress itself.
The controllers can be replaced, not sure what to do it the problem is in the mattress, like my issue is.

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
"the real thing that tweaks me is I can't turn on the furnace right now, a squirrel has chewed a hole in the propane hose from tank to regulator ( wasting a full tank of LP ), hope to replace the hose tomorrow."

Did the little rascal get gassed in the process? Those critters are pesky! [:(!]
As for your heated mattresses, we turn ours up to 6 for about 45 minutes and then turn it down to 4 when we climb into bed. Works nicely for us. :)

Campit

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
after turning up to 6 last night, they did seemt o work, DW and DD were quite happy ( I slept in the house with the dogs ) though DD did say it was a bit warm and she turned hers down after a bit.

Campit, I can only guess he did get a face full of gas, tank was on when he was snacking, and it was the tank side hose that he chewed. sneaky rat ba****d ! hope it was worth it !

hvac1877

Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va
Mar 10, 2008
Highland Springs Va
we use a aftermarket dual zone heated mattress pad heater we set ours on the highest setting(which i think is 20) before bed then cut them down to about 10 to 14 for the night and stay very comfortable. the wife will set her lowers cause of her internal hot flashes. Love it when we go camping over New Years.

Carlb

Carl & Dawn
Oct 18, 2010
Jckele - hmmm ThermoSoft has a radiant flooring product too. I wonder how nice that would be in the PUP under the laminate flooring...

austinm48

http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48
Dec 5, 2011
thought...... could i goto a junkyard and tear down a seat with the 12 v heater in it and use it under the bed in the pop up???? the only other part would be the seat warmer controller and im sure i could trace wiring to find it ..... hmm...
i know it came in the Lincoln town car

Carlb

Carl & Dawn
Oct 18, 2010
Upon further research, the thermosoft radiant flooring product is not for use with laminate/vinyl flooring.

Carlb

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
austinm48 said:
thought...... could i goto a junkyard and tear down a seat with the 12 v heater in it and use it under the bed in the pop up???? the only other part would be the seat warmer controller and im sure i could trace wiring to find it ..... hmm...
i know it came in the Lincoln town car

having just acquired a car with heated seats, I doubt you'd get enough heat out of one to be worth the trouble. figure a 18-20" square area covering the seat cushion isn't a lot of area, which would leave the heat pretty localized in a mattress type environment.

That, and while they get your buns fairly warm, I dunno if running them on a 12v system would last long on batteries alone.

Ken1967

Can't wait to Camp!
Apr 9, 2010
We just purchased a 2011 M-6147 Palomino with heated mattresses. Since it is winter here we can not try them out. My question is... can we put memory foam on top of the mattresses and still feel the heat? It is safe to do so?

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
Good memory foam is pretty dense so I suspect that it would block a lot of the heat. I wouldn't do it. If you have a good quality, 5-pound density memory foam pad you really don't need the heated mattresses turned on because you body will warm it up pretty well.

PattieAM

Super Active Member
Dec 13, 2007
Both my bunks have a heated mattress pad on them - makes all the difference in the world.

Ken1967

Can't wait to Camp!
Apr 9, 2010
Maybe we can put the heating system on the memory foam... wish spring would get here so I can set our new camper up and figure all the gadgets out!