Heater Buddy Big Buddy

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by bnewsom50, Nov 19, 2016.

1. bnewsom50

bnewsom50 1999 Silverado and 1995 Jayco Jay 1206

Will a Big Buddy alone keep my PUP warm enough to sleep in on a 30-35 degree night? We are going to be camping in Pigeon Forge over the Thanksgiving holiday and want to stay warm. We are afraid that electric space heaters won't cut it and would have to plug them to the power pole and run a cord. We have a TT but the DW wants to take our beloved Beulah.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Is it the two cylinder Mr. buddy heater? If so that should give you plenty warm. Remember to keep the camper ventilated. If you have power though, get one of those little ceramic oscillating heater's. They are great. I used to use one of those in my last camper and it would keep it nice and toasty.

3. John61CT

John61CT New Member

can be very dangerous, if you have mains power I highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TKDQ5C. Very safe and efficient, but uses a lot of juice if you crank it, if you pop a circuit keep it turned down.

If you do go with ventless propane you MUST ensure oxygen intake. Personally I wouldn't sleep with it on, and get a portable carbon monoxide meter/alarm. Maybe low oxygen as well, by the time the "safety switch" kicks in your lips will be blue, not good for the brain.

4. John61CT

John61CT New Member

And the Big Buddy will create a sauna, way overkill. the regular size is plenty, even the smallest one does pretty well.

5. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

When it's seriously freezing cold outside our big buddy works great for the main body of the camper. Still a bit chilly in the bunks. No worries about going to sleep as it has an O2 sensor on it to cut off if oxygen levels are low. I keep the same big buddy heater in my deer blind. Sadly the blind is way better insulated than my pup (I enjoy some comfort while hunting). The heater works like a champ in the blind aside from being a massive magnet for rodents nests. Twice I've had to pull it apart and remove charred remains of mice and their nests.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Would you mind providing a link to the one you have, please?

When I searched Walmart for "ceramic oscillating heater" it came up with a bunch of heaters that don't look very "oscillating" to me. I did another search for just "oscillating heater" and it came up with some that look more like I thought it should look (like an oscillating fan) but they do not say "ceramic."

With no furnace, I really would like to find something that can heat the entire PUP from one source. Thanks.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

When the DW and I cold camp in the pup we used the small Buddy heater on a piece of pressure treated 2x8. We have the little fans that hang on the sheppard poles blowing the heat into the bunk. This worked great.

8. John61CT

John61CT New Member

The little Lasko 754200 I linked to above is better than any other small electric I've tried, it blows the warmth through the whole space, even in a large room, no oscillating needed (more to break IMO). Very safe even for sleeping with, kids animals etc. And durable, reliable.

And all for $24 incl reg delivery, little more for quicker.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If we have power the low profile OIL FILLED electric heaters work fine for us...
    No problem running these all night as they don't have an open flame or red hot core. This is probably the safest electric heater you can use in a trailer.
    [​IMG]
    google image

Without power available we use the Mr Buddy single canister model. I have a just the spot for it right under the fantastic fan opening... The Mr Buddy heaters sure produce alot of water. I have mine sitting in a deep large skillet type tray to catch the runoff water. We DO NOT sleep with the Mr Buddy heater on. Too dangerous for us, even in our POPUP trailer... Time to get under the blankets... Pretty bad when you have to run a heater and keep windows flaps open... Kinda defeats the purpose for a heater. The only true safe heater would be one of those vented propane heaters. Like this one...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    google images

The fumes are vented to the outside using this heater.

We have the propane furnace but it is way too hot for us to use and runs us out no mater what low setting we use. It also has the very loud 12VDC fan running that wakes me up when it comes on. The propane furnace setting is around 35 degrees so it will only come on when the inside temp gets down that low... Only used for back up heat...

Our larger battery bank supports the use of the low wattage lap blankets. We have one of those under the top cover on our bed - works great.

Just get under the covers when you go to sleep is best thing to do...

Roy Ken

10. Orchid

Thank you both. I am going to check into both of these right now.

11. Orchid

This one looks like the one we have now - actually we have two of them. However, since one lists wattage and the other only lists BTU, I have no way to compare the power of them. [:!]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Comfort-Zone-Ceramic-Heater/21899614#about-item

This one did fine in our PUP and tent for the summer nights, but it is Florida and all ....
    When I spent the night in the PUP to test it last week, even on high, it would not heat the entire PUP. If I plugged in the second one, the breaker would flip.

12. roybraddy

We solved this problem by plugging our electric heaters into the 20AMP Service at the camp ground pedestals... This is protected by its own circuit breaker and does not take away from the 30AMP Breaker running the trailer...

Getting the extension cords into the popup tent areas is not a problem...

Since I don't run my two electric heaters more than a 2 or 3 setting with only one heat bank selected I can run both heaters from the 20AMP service with no problems tripping the pedestal breaker for them. My 120VAC receptacles inside my POPUP are all rated for 15AMP service and several are on the same zone.

My oil filled low profile heaters do not have an fan in it but it is a perfect size to place only of those AC/DC/D-CELL O-2 COOL portable 10-inch fans (WALMART) behind it if you want to blow some hot air around the room.
    [​IMG]
    google image

works good for us and a dog's tail won't get caught on fire with this setup...

Lots of other things to use just be careful for your family...

Roy Ken

13. roybraddy

have you done any patching up air leaks and open to outside venting around your trailer... I sealed up many air leaks all around my trailer...

Probably my biggest cold air leak was where the pull out tent beds meet up with the metal end wall under the tent bed floor. I could look at floor level of those and could see daylight from the outside. This is where most of our night insects came in when we had our interior lights on inside... Also all around both tent bed fabric flaps was large gaps you can seal up. I used those 2X2x30-inch foam strips that the house window units use for the window air conditioners. That helped alot. I also put down two-foot square stick down carpet squares (LOWES) on the floor of the tent beds under the mattress. All of this made alot of difference warming things up inside our popup trailer...

I have seen in the Smoky Mtns campgrounds where folks would put a large light-weight tarp over the whole trailer.

My trailer looks like this with 9x12 tarps over both tent bed areas...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Keep plugging away at it you will come up with something that will help...

Two sleeping bags un-zipped will lay under your mattress with one section and the other section goes under the top blanket. If it gets real cold zip them up haha... Have done that a couple of times sleeping in very cold areas during the winter months here...

Roy Ken

14. John61CT

John61CT New Member

The Lasko http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TKDQ5C is at least 1250w, (maybe 1500) turned up all the way, can't put two on one 15A circuit, and depending what else is on may need to keep it turned down.

I never found anything comparable sold at Wallies.

Google that model for reviews, 100s of raves

15. John61CT

John61CT New Member

I find using multiple types a good idea. The Lasko fan-forced heats up the room very quickly, the oil-filled type good for efficient silent maintenance, especially if you want to keep it going all night.

But if you're in a leaky space, the latter probably won't put out enough.

16. Orchid

Outdoornut, I totally apologize for hijacking this thread. I hope you at least got the answers you were looking for.

This is exactly what we have planned currently. We leave this week, for a week, so I'm down to the wire on making any decisions. I do have Amazon Prime, but with the holiday, I really need to order tonight if I'm getting something else.

Because we have dogs and grandchildren (some nights) sleeping in our camper, I have ruled out the oil-filled. It would have to sit on the floor and I read they are hot to the touch.

I honestly don't think my PUP is that leaky. I do plug up the little openings where the bunks slide out. The reason I think the PUP is pretty good at holding air is that our a/c gets cold enough to run you out on the hottest FL summer days. This summer we GG coated the roof so had it in the middle of our yard, in full sun away from the trees. When we were done, I set it up right there and it would still get very cold inside in the middle of the day. I think my heaters just suck. I just bought them at the beginning of the summer and have not used them in really cold weather until now.

I may go for the Lasko since I can put it up on a counter, away from little hands and paws. It does have a lot of great reviews.

17. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The maximum wattage for electric heaters is 1,500. A 1,500 watt heater puts out 5,100 BTU. The Big Buddy has three settings with a maximum of 18,000 BTU.

Which do you think will do a better job heating your RV, 18,000 or 5,100?

18. John61CT

John61CT New Member

In which case you DO want leaky to stay healthy. Re-read my cautions above, personally I'd go unvented propane ONLY when mains electric isn't available. And keep the 20# tank outside for sure!

Unless you're in really icy wind conditions, a few K BTU's plenty, if you do go Buddy, the smaller one takes up a lot less room.

19. Orchid

20. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

This thread has made me think of a time when I used to sleep in a tent while hunting. I would take my generator and a small electric heater with a fan on it. My wife hated it because this was her small personal fan that she would use in the bathroom. At any rate I would typically leave the generator running but turn the heater on long enough to knock the chill out of the air and then turn it off, go to sleep, wake up cold and repeat. One night I woke up cold, maybe around 3 a.m. so I turned over and turned on the heater and rolled back over to get in my sleeping bag until it was warm again. No sooner than I rolled over I hear a very familiar "FUMP!" sound and all of a sudden I could see. I knew this sound, why did I know this sound? The fan was on fire! I scrambled as fast as I could to untangle myself from the cold enduced fetal position I was in and get out of my sleeping bag to unzip the door and throw the heater outside. Luckily no damage was done to my expensive tent. Looking into it a bit further, it appeared as though the plastic above the heating element (coiled wire in the shape of a larger circle on this model) had become soft and started sagging down. It sagged to a point where it touched the heating element and caught on fire.

Now I'm no arson investigator, but it looked pretty clear to me what had happened. This was a little heater that didn't get used often, and when it was used it was used for short periods of time, never even coming close to a full nights worth of time in a single setting. In the end I was glad it happened out on our property instead of in my home. But I tell this story as a fair warning to all of those folks out there who think that those little plastic heater fans are 100% safe. I moved on to use the big buddy after that thinking I would rather have a CONTROLLED flame to warm up next to than one waiting to happen.