Heater Buddy

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Kristiecowans, May 31, 2016.

1. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

[?] Hello,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum thread, but I have a Heater Buddy that was plumbed with a quick disconnect to hook up under the sink where the stove plumbs in. I thought this would be great to pull propane off one of my 5gal tanks instead of the small bottles-only problem is for some reason my Heater Buddy will only run with the small propane can attached? I am perplexed?

Attached Files:

2. o740c314i9xt

o740c314i9xt Member

How did you connect the hose with the male plug to the Mr. Heater Buddy heater?

3. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I'm assuming your tank is on the tongue. What type of regulator do you have?

4. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Those buddy heaters are fantastic. They have a safety device to shut off if there is not enough oxygen in the surrounding air. But here is a fair and honest warning...my buddy heater will eat through a 1 lb. propane bottle in 2 hours on high, about 3-3.5 hrs on low, and they don't like to operate very efficiently on low. Great heater, but plan on bringing a lot of gas for it.

Going on about your question, they do make a hose to attach the heater to a larger propane bottle. I'm not quite sure how this would work though with a quick connect, or even if it would work with regulated pressure coming from the camper.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

preparatory QD, use the one from mr heater for the big buddy.

FYI, your pic is not the big buddy that comes with a QD.

6. DanO-MI

DanO-MI New Member

I did this with my Palomino after I removed the furnace. I connected the Mr. Heater quick disconnect hose where the furnace supply was. This connects to my Big Buddy Heater when needed and it runs flawlessly with it. Ran on medium one night and several nights on low. On low it is a little noisier and there is a glow from the heater, but much quieter than the old furnace fan. The quick disconnect is meant to be used with a regulated supply line (after the regulator) inside the camper. Here's a link to one like mine:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-12-Feet-Connect-8-Inch/dp/B003CMBV10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

7. R00

R00 Active Member

You were able to run it off the OEM furnace supply line? That's low pressure, buddy heater shouldn't fire on low pressure LPG...?

*edit* apparently it does, although I run mine directly off a 20# tank unregulated. The heater has an internal regulator.

8. DanO-MI

DanO-MI New Member

Yep, the quick disconnect fitting on the Buddy Heater bypasses the built in regulator. If you look at the link I posted and zoom in on the picture you can read the label where it says:
    "This assembly is for low pressure applications only!"

9. R00

R00 Active Member

I may have a smaller version than the ones listed in the ad as well. Didn't think of that, don't think I have a quick connect on mine or I would have investigated hahaha

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

11. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

:)Heater Buddy sent me a prompt email, these guys are great! [:D]

Slow or no flow of gas.

There is an "excess flow device" located in all propane hose and fittings that screw into the valve on propane tanks.
    This device inside the fittings is made up of a spring and pin. The idea is with a normal flow of gas thru the fitting into the hose the spring pressure keeps the pin from blocking the flow of gas. If there was a damaged hose or connection, the sudden flow of fuel would allow the pin to over come the spring pressure and drive this pin causing it to block or restrict this sudden quick flow of gas out the damaged fitting or hose. This “excess flow safety device” in theory would reduce the flow of raw gas out of the damaged hose or connection.

This can also happen if you open your propane supply tank's valve too quickly, causing a "spurt" of gas which can activate this safety device.

To reset or prevent this from happening, you first need to turn off all devices connected to the hose. Than you need to slowly turn or open the valve on the propane supply tank until the valve turns freely than open it the rest of the way, this will allow the gas to seep into the hose instead of spurting in and activating the safety device.

Try this to see if it fixes your flow problems.

This safety device supplies us with dozens of calls a week with people experiencing the same type of problems.

12. R00

R00 Active Member

I have this issue with my camp chef denali if I'm not careful (opening the valve slowly, as you said)

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I two use my single tank MR BUDDY heater for my backup heat. This was my primary heat source back in my Tent Camping days... Being a drafty open air tent these were very safe to use back in the day. I still carry one with my OFF-ROAD POPUP and use it as a backup source of heat when we finally get tired of listening to loud 12VDC furnace fan. The gas furnace is just too much heat for us in our OFF-ROAD POPUP and wakes me up everytime it kicks in...

Of late we have just been leaving the big furnace set to come on if the temps get down to freezing inside the popup trailer.

If we are at an electric site i will run my portable electric oil filled heater for heat source.

I will not run our Mr Buddy heater in my trailer after we go to sleep. It is just too dangerous for us producing bad fumes and also eats up all of the oxygen if we close off the vents. It has water just pouring off of if it has been running for along time period. I like the Mr Buddy using the 1LB canisters as I need them for my COleman ROAD TRIP grill so I always a six pack supply on hand...

I don't think I would be happy making a permanent install for the MR BUDDY heater in the trailer.

I would do one of the propane fed vented CAT heaters to replace the gas furnace. These can be added to a cabinet door like shown here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even using these you will have to crack open a small window vent to pull in oxygen...

Certainly don't want to wake dead one morning...
    Roy Ken

14. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Just to reiterate about the MR BUDDY:

They have a safety device to shut off if there is not enough oxygen in the surrounding air.

That being said, cracking a window never hurt anybody.

15. rabird

rabird Howdy!

RTFM, [RTM] , ventilation required.