Heater during storage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Aaol1, Mar 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

Just got a 2008 fleetwood bayside! Love it so far, and keeping it outside stored (uncovered) until may ish. We live in Victoria bc, very humid

Wondering about moisture control, previous owner would have a small heater plugged inside, definitely not super hot but warm enough to get the moisture out. I've read about risk of creating condensation by introducing heat, and lots of people just use moisture collecting stuff

Anyways, thoughts on a small heater set to low, just enough to get moisture out?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If you use a heater you need ventilation or no moisture will leave.

3. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

Right but no moisture would get in in the first place right? And also seeing as the trailer isn't obviously airtight, seems like there's always a way for the heat/moisture to get out, thoughts?

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I would not waste energy to heat a stored RV of any kind. Throw some Damp Rid units in there and sleep soundly at night.

gladecreekwy, kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  5. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

Alright yea, do you think that would be sufficient for somewhere like pacific northwest?

6. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

And wouldn't the pods absorb moisture from outside, since the trailer isn't obviously airtight?

xxxapache likes this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Live in Ontario so much dryer then B.C, all I did with our pup was toss in a few containers of a damp rid type product from the dollar store and close up the trailer, a few years I would use 2 inch foil tape and put it over all the seams, door to body, roof to body and side storage hatches to keep blowing snow out.. With the TT, I toss in the same damp rid pods and close the door.. usually once a month I open the door and speak inside, in another couple weeks I'll crack one of the roof vents a bit, as the temps warm up so air can start circulating..

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Don't know about a popup, but an Aliner is not air tight at all. Key is air flow to deal with moisture. A 40 watt bulb, in a drop light, in the camper will probably do about the same. Just a hot spot to create a little thermal current. I keep one in my boat, under the engine. I've seen boats sealed tight over winter, come spring they are covered inside with mildew, due to the moisture in the bilge that could not escape.

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If adding something to the rig in storage gives you peace of mind, then do it. Is it needed? My opinion is no, not really based on my experience in Alaska. YMMV.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The moisture is already in there. Use the heater to dry it out and then place some silica gel in there.

11. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

I live in the Portland, Oregon area and used to store my pup in Bellingham, Washington at my parents house, neither locations are sheltered. Never had a mildew problem inside. Just pop it up on a nice weekend prior to your first campout and do a little spring cleaning.
    1. Wash the exterior (same as you would a car or boat) while closed
    2. Pop it up and open up for air flow (stale air)
    3. Flush the water lines
    4. Wipe down the canvas
    5. Wipe the counters
    6. Wash the linens
    7. Wash the dishes and cookware
    8. Sweep and mop the floor
    9. Take inventory and stock non-perishables for the season
    Should be good to go. Enjoy your first camping trip of the season.

Usually, the reason that mildew builds up is that it needs both moisture and heat. Here in the Pacific North Wet, we have one or the other during winter (thanks to global climate change). As long as there is decent airflow (ie, you aren't wrapping it in a tarp), when the sun comes out, it will warm up the pup enough to dry out any minor moisture that may build up. If you do have excessive moisture inside, then you have other issues (leaky roof).

12. Aaol1

Aaol1 New Member

And. Do
    Hmm interesting, I'm just so paranoid about moisture and mold, especially with so much canvas material. Alright thank you all for your feedback, definitely something to consider!

13. Mike76

Mike76 Member

Live in the Okanagan so again drier than Victoria, but I don't do anything for moisture and it's been fine for us. There's enough airflow or moisture isn't getting in...and mine gets covered in snow all winter. I'd do damprid stuff if I was worried though, way before using a heater which has a significant fire risk a big waste of electricity.

14. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

I use Damp Rid anytime I close it up. I use two large tubs and they will last a long time, 4 to 5 months. Have never had mold or any dampness. Rual King has them for $8. Great price.

Senft78 likes this.