Heater works on shore power, not propane. ??

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by ColoradoBart, Aug 30, 2019.

1. ColoradoBart

ColoradoBart New Member

We have a medium-size popup camper. 2015 Forest River Flagstaff MAC.

The heater has been acting up lately. Very inconsistent.

Seems like whenever it is running off battery power, the fan will click on when I turn up the thermostat, but then it clicks off after about 30 seconds. The propane flow never kicks in. I probably tried it 25 times. No luck.

However, when I use shore power and turn up the thermostat, the propane usually flows on the first or second try.

Our battery is not old. I even had it tested at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and it has plenty of life left, and I also bought an upgraded charger to seal the deal (so I thought).

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The fan takes a lot of battery power. If the battery is showing a full charge, then you may have a wiring issue to the furnace.

nineoaks2004 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Or it could be the fan needs a cleaning , running power maybe more then what the batyery charge could handel. Try lubing it up.

4. ColoradoBart

ColoradoBart New Member

Toedtoes, thanks for the response. So a follow up question... are there separate wires from (1) the battery to the fan... and (2) the battery to the propane "feeder"?

Once again, the fan seems to kick on with no problem on battery power, but then shuts off when no propane comes through the line.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Make sure your battery hookup is correct! The fan can spin backwards if the polarity is reversed. Also check to make sure the battery is fully charged.

Fless and Toedtoes like this.
  6. ColoradoBart

ColoradoBart New Member

Oops. Rrrrr. I just realized I screwed up the title. I mean to say the "heater works on shore power, not the battery." @#$% stupid.

7. neighbormike

We gotcha

Toedtoes likes this.
  8. neighbormike

There's no separate wires. Thermostat sends a command to the furnace. The fan should come on. The fan needs to be spinning fast enough (and in the right direction) to trip the sail switch which allows gas flow.

generok likes this.
  9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yeah, I suspect sail switch too. When on shore power, you have just that little extra bump to close the sail switch, but on battery, it spins just a tad slower and never closes the circuit to the solenoid. Sail could be slightly bent or out of alignment, or battery could be a little low.

Toedtoes and neighbormike like this.
  10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Check battery polarity and voltage while the fan is running.

Toedtoes likes this.
  11. Fless

Fless Active Member

Battery polarity is important -- don't ask me how I know....
    _

neighbormike likes this.
  12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I’m willing to bet your battery isn’t up to the task. I would take it to a parts store and ask them to load test the battery. I bet you find that it has problems under load. Then as others have said the furnace fan will spin too slow.

As for the battery being hooked up wrong, it’s probably correctly wired. As new as your camper is, I’m sure your converter has a battery reverse fuse in it. You would have blown that and had no power if your battery was hooked up backwards.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    wmgeorge and neighbormike like this.
  13. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

A corroded fuse holder will limit or kill power as well. I had that with my Viking. I was intermittently having trouble with my 12VDC not working. It turned out to be a corroded fuse holder located in my battery box. It was actually green in the wires with corrosion. I had looked at that fuse too, but just didn't see the Green stuff until I had worked on the thing for two hours trying to figure it out.