Heater ?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Richard_, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Richard_

Richard_ New Member

my N2U pup does not have a heater , any sugeastions on heating it , my wife and friend and 2 kids are taking it out on its maiden voyage soon , and heat is very important to her , will a Mr Heater be enough ? we are proud owners of a Coleman Desstiny Cedar , so its not like we are heating alot of space , i'm looking at a Big Buddy or a Portable Buddy

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Just how low will the temps go and what' s DW's comfort zone?

I've got a Mr. Buddy heater I use in a 2 car garage. It's great for radiant heating but is overwhelmed by the size of the garage. In a PUP the standard Mr Buddy would do a much better job. Keep in mind you'd get a lot more impact if you take some conservation measures. Specifically, whatever heating system you use, you can improve performance by using Reflectix inserts in the windows (especially the bunkends) and PopUp Gizmos over the bunkend tenting. Throw some 1' sections or a rolled up towel inbetween the Gizmos and the tenting to create a large dead air space. Those measures can add up to another 15, even 20, deg. no matter what heating system you use. A number of people are very happy with their Wave catalytic heaters. Usually they use the Wave 6 or 8.

If you're on an electric hookup, I'd say get a standard electric heater. That's what we do. It'll add another 10-15 deg over ambient temp. and the conservation measures will add the previously mentioned 10-15 degrees. If you have 2 separate circuits because you've got an A/C unit, you can use 2 heaters and make it quite comfortable.

Keep in mind that the numbers I quoted are based on a 12' box. Your Cedar (8' I think) should do considerably better.

3. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Two electric heater fans and my pop up can stay quite warm even in 30s but that's with electric hook up the propane furnace never kicked on with two heater fans runnin on high. Get digital ones or calibrate the thermostat isn't too bad either. It kept out pup when it was frosting out at a nice 65 no problem and fans were still cycling.

4. Jean

Jean New Member

Most Oregon State Parks have hookups, as we get closer to fall, Target and every other store like it will start carrying small space heaters. We used one in our older pup as a backup, as well as just to use the campground's power instead of our propane.

My husband was the one who went camping to make me happy. We found that the state parks worked well as a compromise for us. He got the showers and the power that he wanted and I got our family to go camping. I look at the campgrounds without power, but have decided that in the end I really like the heater to run at night, when it's needed. My husband isn't very interested in setting up solar power or in a generator so we continue with our compromise.

Jean

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I second... if you have electricity at the site, get one ceramic heater and it will generally keep the chill off. If we're talking downright cold (in the 30s), then you'll likely need something that burns LP. Just keep in mind anything that burns LP also generates CO, so ventilate well.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Another reason to ventilate well is that burning propane produces water vapor. Ventilate to avoid condensation.

7. Richard_

Richard_ New Member

electric is nice if we are hooked up , but i plan on a lot of off the grid camping or boondocking , a generator is in our future

8. piscoot

piscoot Member

I can tell you that this little heater did a terrific job in our Cedar, all though temps were only down to 50 the night we used it, on low it was plenty warm enough. It has a thermostat and oscillates. I took a picture next to the wine to show the size [:D]
    [​IMG]

But I will be looking into off grid source since most of our camping is. This olympian wave catalytic heater has been recommended
    [​IMG]