Heating and cooling options for small camper

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Dustin, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Greetings,
    First post here, been reading for a while and finally had a direct question I had trouble finding answers to...

Im currently looking at an 83 Coleman Columbia, thats got a new canvas and is in great shape. Thing is that she has no options (ac/heat/sink/stove etc). Just your base model. I actually dont mind this at all, Ive been camping for years and have all I need portable, except for ac and heat. So, in exploring options like small portable heaters and small window ac units, my question is whats the best option for a small camper such as this one?

Also, how well does the campers keep a stable temperature? Id imagine that its not super insulated, but is heating and cooling a 'run all the time to maintain' venture?

My immediate concern is heating, as I plan on using it on my hunting lease starting in Sept. I dont have to be toasty per say, but would like something that gives me a little comfort without suffocating me with C02.

Thanks for any advice on this,
    Dustin

2. turtle

turtle New Member

My dealer said to just get a small ceremic heater. I bought a 1500 watt one. The question I have is how cold can it get outside and still keep the inside warm enough?

06 Fleetwood Graphite
    96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Ron, Diane and the Lab mix, Cody

3. denverd0n

denverd0n New Member

I use my PUP during the elk season here in Colorado. I run the heater a little bit at night to keep things comfortable getting ready for bed, and then again in the morning to take the chill off before I get out of the sleeping bag. In between I use a warm sleeping bag and turn the furnace off at night. Doing this I have stayed out 4 nights, in temperatures down to the 20s, without running down my battery or using too much propane.

4. dgaines

dgaines Last one to the CG buys the beer

I went out this past weekend, it got to 18 at night. I had 2 ceramic heaters running 1500 watts each. The pup was a toasty 80 inside

DH: Don '65
    DW: Kim '74
    5 Kids
    '03 Dodge Ram Van
    '92 Coleman Williamsburg
    Maryland Heights, MO....