Heating and cooling

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by CampinMama88, Apr 2, 2018.

1. CampinMama88

CampinMama88 New Member

Hi all! We just recently purchased a NTU PUP, 1998 Coleman Taos.
    Im in the process of doing a little remodel on it and CANNOT wait to get out to use it.

The idea of using the propane to heat the trailer when we're sleeping makes me super nervous. There is an alarm system if there is a leak but it's a 20 year old trailer and well sometimes things can fail us. I'm probably just super paranoid but so be it lol I have a 2yo and an 8yo so that probably adds to my paranoia
    We don't have an a.c. unit in the pup either so I was wondering if there was something that people have used that can both heat and cool, similar to the Dyson one but not for that much money.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Yes, there are heating/cooling units available. HERE is one example.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Have a reputable location check out the current heater and if needed, replace with a new one. Make sure the propane detector is working correctly (they have about a five year life before needing replacement) and install a separate CO detector, and the furnace in the trailer should be as safe as a furnace in a house.

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

I agree with f5moab. Check the manufacture date on the propane detector and replace it if necessary. If your PUP came with a ceiling mounted carbon monoxide detector, it's probably hardwired into the 12 VDC system. I haven't been able to find a hardwired ceiling mounted replacement that is similar - only wall mounted units. The next best option is a typical battery operated (9 VDC) smoke/CO detector that you'd put in your home but you'll have to remember to keep a fresh battery in it.

The biggest issue with the furnace is keeping it clean. Bugs, bees, wasps & hornets seem to like getting into them. They really are just a small version of a residential forced air furnace.

Jorja, Katskamper and kitphantom like this.
  5. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Agree with the above as far as heat. As to cooling the PUP. I think the best bang for the buck is to install a Fantastic Fan in your roof vent. They draw a lot of air at minimal power (12VDC) and are quiet. New one's start at about 120. DIY install is relatively easy.

6. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

You can get a dual carbon monoxide / propane leak detector from amazon to replace your old one.
    https://www.amazon.com/MTI-Industri...522689250&sr=1-2&keywords=co/propane+detector

Check for any propane leaks before you leave.

keep windows cracked a bit to circulate more oxygen. We use a propane heater all night in our tent/camper and used a battery operated detector (can use as a 2nd failsafe to your new installed detector). Our heater also has a low oxygen sensor shut off for safety.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm with you on this. Propane, in general, scares me to death. I'm sure my fears are somewhat irrational, but that's how I feel and I can't help it.

If you are camping with electricity, you can use an electric space heater. We have to plug in ours with a separate, appropriately rated, outdoor extension cord. We run it directly to the 110 outlets on the campground pole, rather than using an outlet in our camper. I really don't care about propane being the cheaper option, since electricity is included in cost of the campsite.

I even converted our hot water tank to electric and completely removed our propane tanks. Even the lanterns and stoves that use the little propane canisters are off my radar. I only use white gas.

If you decide to use your propane furnace, as others have said, have it, and all the propane lines inspected by a professional first. Buy a new carbon monoxide detector. They make ones that plug into an outlet and have battery back up. The camper is 30 years old and CO detectors should be replaced every 5 years.

As far as cooling goes, rooftop air is the best. Ours has a heat strip on it as well that we use in addition to our space heater. I have also seen people install a window unit on the hitch, with a hole cut under that bunk - assuming you don't have a storage trunk there. There are lots of other set ups people have come up with to us window units. Google "window air conditioner pop up camper" and look at the images.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Jorja likes this.
  8. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

You also can get a roof top unit that is a heatpump

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

There isn't any difference in using a propane furnace or a natural gas furnace for heat. As with any gas furnace a CO detector is a must in sleeping quarters, weather it is a pup, TT or your home.

10. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

If you haven't had the furnace inspected yet, put it on the to-do list. I took a oil filled radiator heater with us a primary heat and the furnace set as a backup in case power went out at the campground. I like the oil filled radiator because they're thin, there is no fan noise as the thermostat cycles on and off, and you can move them around without worry. The camper stayed toasty even though it was 38 in Moab the first two nights there (62 inside). I do carry a strip of ceramic tile that I put under the heater to save the linoleum floor underneath from any damage. We camp with dogs too and the radiator made more sense over a catalytic heater because dogs have not boundaries! Didn't want the smell of burnt hair floating in the camper forever :) I replaced the CO2, smoke, and gas alarms last year. The smoke alarm is battery operated so the battery was swapped out too. Put a reminder in your email calendar so you don't forget the seasonal stuff to check or replace

11. davido

davido Active Member

The built-in furnaces (typically Suburban forced air, usually ductless for pups) consume oxygen from outside the pup, and vent fumes to the outside as well. The combustion chamber is isolated from the interior of the pup. There should be no mixing of heated air with combustion fumes.

This is a pretty sure thing unless something is rusted out. Have the unit inspected, and if it checks out, feel free to use it.

You absolutely should have a CO / Propane Leak detector. Those often come as a single unit. Don't operate any gas appliance without a CO detector.

However, in the life of the PUP, there's a high probability that the CO detector will never sense anything.

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

to think i heated my pre pup TENT with a wall mount dearborn heater customized to run off large propane tank. didnt worry about venting in a mesh roof tent.

hasnt been cold enough here to test the heater! but, i do know i need to replace the CO2 detector. (is it difficult?)