Height of popup with roof fully raised

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by easyed, Sep 10, 2019.

1. easyed

easyed New Member

I'm looking for a popup with a 12' box that will fit under a 91" deck fully raised. Any suggestions?

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You could take off the tires. It might fit

Ladiesman likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My popup with its roof fully raised is I want to say is about 8.5’ high from the ground. Now my old Jayco sat much lower to the ground than most popups today, it may have fit. With that said you can raise the roof as high as It can go and still be able to pull the bunks out if you need it to air dry, but you won’t be able to put the shepherd poles in. That way you can still walk inside etc.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

What I'm sure everyone is asking - why? [?:~{]

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Mine is set up out in the driveway right now, so I ran out there and measured it for you. 102 inches high, plus the roof vent up on top that is probably 3-4 inches more. No A/C on mine. 2002 Rockwood 1910, 10 ft box with a 2 ft storage on the front.

6. GreyFox

Your Utah is spec'd at 8'3" (99") plus the height of anything else that may be on the roof - racks, vent, A/C, etc, and typical of most popups these days.

7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I did an axle flip so my popup can no longer be fully popped in the garage. Sooooo, I pop it up as far as it goes. (It takes a second person on a step stool to yell "STOP!" when raising the roof.) Can't install the door, of course, but I can put up the bathroom walls which I'm sure would hold up a collapsed roof long enough for me to get out should it all fail.

If you want to keep it popped up and use it for extended periods, this wouldn't work. But if you just want to be able to pop it up and work on it for a few days at a time, no biggie I should think. (I suppose you could rig up a curtain with some velcro to serve as a door...)

My garage is 9 ft. I have a highwall but no AC. Popup fit in its stock configuration.

8. easyed

easyed New Member

9. easyed

easyed New Member

(Continued) It looks like the traveling height of the Colemans went from 47" in 1995 to 54" in 1996 and I assumed the pre 1996 models were 7" lower when fully raised as well as when closed. The 1996 models were 100" high when open but I can't find the specs on a 1995. In particular I'm looking at a Stoney Creek as a possibility. Do you know how high it is fully raised?
    Thanks,
    Burt

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You could mod the camper so the height is less. Mod the door and shorten the canvas.

11. easyed

easyed New Member

Can you partially extend the roof up and it will stay up OK?

12. GreyFox

If you're talking Coleman / Fleetwood then yes, the lift system is self braking and can be paused at any height. That of course assumes the lift system is working properly. ;)

13. easyed

easyed New Member

Good to know. I talked with someone today about a 1992 Coleman Sequoia and he said fully open it measures 92" to the top of the roof. I assume the Stoney Creek in 1995 would be the same height unless someone knows differently

14. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Why not, Take the tires off and set the frame on some blocks. Would be super solid.