Hello from a new PUP owner in CT!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Snarfblat, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Snarfblat

Snarfblat New Member

Hello! :)

We're the proud new owners of a 1996 Jayco Eagle 8 SD!

The Craigslist ad went up Saturday morning at 11, I got the notification and emailed the owner right away, we looked at it at 3, made the decision by 5, and had her on our Subaru Outback by 10 Sunday morning. We got a GREAT deal... I'm so happy I acted quickly!

We're seasoned campers... I grew up camping in tents, an old yellow and green Cox pop-up, a 1977 pea-green VW camper, and a 1970-ish Burro. My husband and I have been tent camping for years around NH, VT, MA, NY, and ME. We just decided it was time to branch out a little and try the pop-up. We are SO excited.

You guys have already been a tremendous resource as I scoured the forums frantically looking for "What red flags do I look for during my inspection?" in the car ride there on Saturday. I felt confident we were getting a great PUP after all the things I checked and double checked. This camper is in GREAT shape - the canvas, the floor, everything works.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions... can't wait to jump in!

2. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Welcome to the portal from Central NY. Happy Camping!!

3. stefie19

stefie19 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from another Nutmegger. If you're interested, there are some New England rallies coming up (RI and VT). Not sure how many sites are left but always worth checking out. We just got back from the ME rally this past weekend.

4. Jimmy the rug

Jimmy the rug New Member

Hi and welcome from South west ct,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Welcome from Southwestern CT.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Welcome to the portal and congrats on the acquisition of your Eagle! [:D]

Note that tires are designed to last five years or 10,000 miles. If they're older than 8 years, they should definitely be replaced. Also be sure to replace the spare as well and rotate the tires including the spare. You'll also want to inspect/repack or replace the wheel bearings as required.

Find your camper's owner's manual and read through it as well. It'll probably have a maintenance checklist you can use. You might want to print these off and keep them somewhere accessible.

Here's a '96 maintenance manual for you: http://www.popupportal.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=2080

Here's the L&W Lift system repair manual: http://www.popupportal.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=2083

7. Snarfblat

Snarfblat New Member

Already have an appointment for the tires! The seller we purchased from owned it for two years and he never replaced them, and he doesn't know when they were last done with the previous owner. The unknown scares me... and we weren't thrilled driving an hour and a half home on what they looked like, so that's the first upgrade we're doing! [:D]

Thank you for the welcomes and the links!