Hello from far flung New Zealand

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Antipodes, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Hi All,
    Not from the USA but have a Forest river, Rockwood Freedom, 2318G imported into NZ.
    Purchased this a little over a year ago, moving from the tent to the luxurious lifestyle of the Popup.
    Have carried out many mods since, biggest is 2x200 watt solar panels on the roof and complete 12V independence.
    This winters mod is flipping the axle for more ground clearance, 15" wheels with heavier springs and increased water tank supply.
    I have found some great information on this site and thank all those individuals who have contributed here to allow me to use many of the ideas and information that allowed me to make the jump from camping to the Popup.
    My wife and I camp off grid (or boondocking as you guys call it).

Thanks for reading this and look forward to contributing with a few posts on the details of the mods I have carried out, and will do in the future

Paul

2. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

Greetings from North Dakota USA enjoy the hospitality

3. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Oh how awesome! We got a Kiwi here! [emoji3] I have tons of questions I'd like to ask you but I'll restrain myself as alot of them are not about pups.[emoji13] Almost forgot, Welcome from Texas! I look forward to seeing your pics and mods. If you feel like letting me be a tourist on you, send me a message haha.

My phone did this using Tapatalk

4. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Pleased to answer any questions.
    But I guess we should choose the correct forum. <Grin>

I need to find a way to post my pictures as I don't like putting them on public sharing sites.

Paul

5. Ryanincc

The only other way I know of to post pictures without using a typical host site is to use the smartphone app called Tapatalk, which is a multi-forum app where you can post pics from your phone directly. However I don't know what picture rights Tapatalk retains if any. I guess I should find out [emoji16]

My phone did this using Tapatalk

6. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Welcome from Tacoma, Washington state. Love to see pictures of where you came. We have people from all over the world on this site and seeing how others camp helps bring us all together and shows us how alike we really are.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

:) Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Happy and safe camping. Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP]

8. Ryanincc

I cant help myself! Must ask a question. Do most men know the Haka there or is it just a few that play team sports and natives? I saw that one the All Blacks did in the rain... crazy intense!!

9. hula girl

hula girl New Member

Kia Ora from San Diego...Just wondering where Far Flung is North or South Island???he he he...Welcome to the portal. :)
    Paula

10. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Welcome to the Portal from Michigan, the "mitten" state of the USA! Hope you share some of your camping adventures.

Diane

11. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Haha, most people know the basics.
    There are many different Hakas but as you say the sports teams use it mostly out side of NZ as it is generally a challenge.
    But yeah the All Blacks (Our National Sport is Rugby for those that don't know and they are our national team) really put some feeling into it. (Of course it helps when they are all superfit and toned up)

Paul

12. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

I am from the South Island, (The better one) <Grin> .
    My home town is Christchurch, we had a major disaster here 4 years ago and we are still recovering (Earthquake).
    Buildings still been demolished and my own house has still not been repaired.
    Maybe another reason I bought the PUP. So we have somewhere to live if we have an other major!! Hahahaha.

Paul

13. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Thanks Diane, I will certainly try, but of course we are pretty boring to watch, sleeping, drinking, fishing, swimming and eating. (gee sounds much busier than I normally like to be when camping) <grin>
    Oh you mean the country side don't you! My bad!!!

14. hula girl

hula girl New Member

Paul,
    My late husband was a shepherd on the South Island, he worked Halfway Bay station many moons ago. His ex-inlaws lived in CC too. Their house split down the middle. They lived near New Brighton,if I remember correctly. My son,Ian, has NZed citizenship.

We lived in the part of San Diego County that is susceptible to wildfires. After my husband passed I bought a T@b trailer so if my son & I had to evacuate we'd be all set. It's worked out well, my BF has a popup & that's how I got to this awesome forum.

Cheers,
    Paula

15. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Yep, that is why I shrug our personal circumstances off, we all see the disasters, wars. terroism etc that pervades this world. We are lucky! Insured, not injured or incapacitated. Just a broken house (Just like camping). Just got to get on with life.
    Nice to know we are 10,000 miles away but still have connections with you all in some way.

16. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Welcome from Ohio!

Isn't camping in a pop-up much more fun than a tent? Sounds like you've been busy with mods, and it would be great to share them. Only way I know is to set up an account with Photobucket or Flickr and share from there. Set up an account with a bogus name if you don't want to have others find you.

17. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Thanks Tim or Donna
    It is not so much having an account as exposing your own photos to thieves.
    In a site like this it is more managed, whereas flikr they basically own any photos you put on there.
    I have my own server and will set it up when our camping season is finished. Normally around Easter.
    I will document the mods I have done and also want to do. (Seen some I really like here).
    Big one is raising the camper as we are getting a fair bit of damage to the landing gear and lower exposed items, pulling it through rough roads and river beds.
    But yeah you are so right. The camper is sheer luxury. Hot and cold running water, a toilet you don't have to travel miles for or dig a hole. A sink we don't have to remove off the table when we want to eat, and no stretchers !!!
    Best of all a shower for when you get really grubby, used to hate standing in the cold and standing over a basin having a flannel bath.
    A furnace for when the temp drop below 10 deg, (50 farenheit), have woken up in the tent and it has snowed, wondered what I was doing that year!
    And of course many more benefits. Why we did not do this earlier I don't know!!
    But of course you all know this!!! This is why this forum was setup.
    Paul

18. sallugo

sallugo Member

Welcome from Tucson AZ!!!!

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228D
    2004 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Welcome from Tacoma Washington! I was down your way about thirty years ago. Very beautiful and I enjoyed it immensely. Having been all over the world NZ is in the top two for me.

Jeff

20. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

[SUN] Welcome from sunny Florida. [SUN] I have lived in my pup for almost a year because of my job. Best time of my life, loved it... [:D]