Hello from Idaho!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ynotsparky, Jul 31, 2020.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Crouch/Lowman has some great developed campsites right along the river. There is one in there somewhere that has a natural hot pool right off the river (Kirkham Hot Springs?) that you can take a short hike from the campground. If you're into motorcycles, the Lowman Loop is very popular and takes roughly 5-6hrs depending on speed and the number of stops. You can stop at Trudy's in Idaho City for a great slice of pie and a gi-normous plate of cheeseburger/fries. Pretty good stuff!

Another great spot that is a little out of the way from Boise and all the people is a nice little campground ($3/night) in Montour., between Emmett and Horseshoe Bend. It's only a mile or so from a nice, slow section of the Payette river if you're into float trips on kayaks/paddle boards/etc. It's next to a wildlife preserve and is managed by the Bureau of Reclamation. Can get bad with mosquitoes at the beginning of the season, but it was also a great place to go to because very few people actually know about it. Of course, if you're into whitewater rafting, the Payette offers that, too. Class 3/4 rapids on the North and Middle Forks of the Payette are wicked-fun if you take a guided trip or know of anyone into rafting.

If up for a short drive, Rainbow Point campground on Lake Cascade as some excellent developed sites right on the edge of the water. Of course, there's also Bruneau Dunes SP, just outside of Mountain Home. They have 2 loops and Idaho's only observatory that is open to the public. There's a club that likes to put on demos for families on Fri/Sat night for stargazing....its really cool for kids. Lastly, Anderson Ranch Reservoir is excellent for primitive camping right on the beach. Nothing better than waking up and having the kids/dogs play in the water all day while you sit under a sunshade reading a book. So much fun in that area!

2. ynotsparky

ynotsparky New Member

Thank you! I have never been further north than Riggins but can't wait to explore your neck of the woods!

3. ynotsparky

ynotsparky New Member

Thank you! I have just booked a week-end in Joseph Oregon and I can't wait to see Wallowa Lake.

4. ynotsparky

ynotsparky New Member

Wow!! Thank you so very much for all the great suggestions!! You are truly a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to tell me about some of the great camping sites close to us!! We just booked Labor Day wkd in Joseph Oregon near Wallowa Lake. We love to kayak so Montour campground would be awesome too! I have been to the Bruneau State Dunes and we always said we wanted to go back and see the stars at night. Now we have the Aframe, it will be awesome! Thanks again for all your help!