Hello from Katy, Texas

carlitobenito

May 10, 2014
Good morning folks and hello from Katy, Texas (West Houston)!

My wife and I were given a 1998 Starcraft Spacestar that belonged to her parents. It has fallen into a sad state as it was stored outside, without a cover. My wife almost wanted to turn around..... Our tow vehicle, a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 was never short on power and thanks to Quadra-Lift Air Suspension, no suspension sag. I've towed heavier trailers before without any issue.

I will post a photo this evening, but here is the current state of the pup:
Exterior
- Cosmetic - B/B- : A power wash and scrub down did wonders. It needs a new AC cover and some of the other various plastic covers (water inlets, power, etc)
- Structure - C : Maybe that's a harsh grade, but there is a tear in the roof I noticed, naturally after I finished the power wash. It's the length of a finger nail.

Trailer frame
- Mechanics - C : It needs new tires and an overhaul of brakes and bearings to be honest. It rolled down the highway effortlessly, but it's been sitting for 8 years. The tires are old.... very old. I was nervous towing it from Tomball to Katy. I never exceeded 45mph.
- Electrics - A- : It all works, just needs some cosmetic cleaning of lenses and sealing to prevent moisture

Interior
Honestly, I'm shocked. The canvas needs a simple cleaning. The floors needs to be cleaned but could do with being replaced for an update of style. Beds and cushions are fine. No bad smells. The worst part is one of the corners of the counter is warped from water, along with one section of the headliner, due to the hole.

Overall, we are happy with it..... we just need to find a place to store it off site, before my HOA kills me.

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
Welcome from central IL! Got to love the hoa :) and can't beat a free camper in decent working order. Enjoy the process.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

carlitobenito

May 10, 2014
Thanks for the warm welcomes folks! Looking forward to using this camper soon!

Here is a pic post round 6 of the scrub down:

usyma2ym.jpg

bildoo

Mar 28, 2011
Hi from northeastern Wisconsin. Say hi to my sister she is a teacher at Morton Ranch Jr. High