Hello From Louisiana

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by dranrab, Feb 28, 2017.

1. dranrab

dranrab Member

I had a pop-up over 20 years ago and used it quite a bit before I sold it when I transferred to Alaska. It was a small Jayco. The only options on it were roof A/C and an awning. I loved that thing. The A/C worked great. I am stuck in the middle of a suburb of New Orleans and don't get out nearly enough. I need my escapes. Pop-ups are back on my radar. Within an hour or two of here are a number of pretty cool improved and unimproved (I have a small generator) camping areas. I am also joining a hunting club about 50 miles away. As it is now, having a dog makes it kinda hard to get up and go whenever I want. With a camper the dog can come along. I have a pick-up, bicycles, kayaks and soon an atv. I am storage space restricted. A pop up with an overall folded length of 15 feet or less fits in the garage.

With all that said, I see trips where the bikes, kayaks and or ATV go into the back of the truck and the pop-up gets connected, and the wife dog and I head out for weekend retreats. Good used pop-ups rarely hit the market and when they do they go fast. I would buy the right used one, but right now it looks like it's going to be new. I have a concern. I'd have to find a way to elevate the kayaks in the bed of the truck, but I don't think that will be too hard. Getting them up about a foot over the bed should give clearance over the body of the pop-up.

Laurie isn't into "camping" but I assured her a pop up is appreciably different from a tent. As far as I can tell no dealer within 150 miles has a pop-up in stock for Laurie to look at. I think I know her well enough to know that she'll enjoy the occasional weekend get-away.

These two are the best deals I have found within a 300 mile radius. If you know of good deals in your area (new or used) turn me onto them. A/C is a must.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Cl...hmen-Viking-Camping-Trailers-1906ST-118426670

It looks like these are sold out. I would have bought one today. This is the dealer I bought from 20 years ago. I suspect new ones would be competitively priced if they are going to bring in any new models.

http://www.dicksoncampers.net/defau...&vc=pop up camper&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

I must say I am pleasantly surprised to see such an active pop-up specific forum. Looks like a great place to learn.

Paul

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Welcome to the Portal! I hope your wife feels differently after she experiences PUP life. It's amazing and comfortable.

I completely understand about the lack of reasonable inventory on craigslist. I don't even bother with the weird prices, those are all scams. The real ones get sold in anywhere from a couple of hours to 9 hours. Our daughter is in the market now and it's extremely stressful. She has to work full time and can't be there on the spot to look at it within hours after things are posted. [:(!]

We live in Florida and it's not just this time of year, it's year round like this. It's madness.

3. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Welcome from Colorado.

4. dranrab

dranrab Member

My pop-up will likely make a journey with me to Colorado this summer. What part of CO are you from? Anytime I think about boating (looking at you screen name) and Colorado, I think Blue Mesa or Navajo. Do you boat those waterways?

5. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

Second the welcome from Colorado! And Navajo is always a great choice!

6. Boatnman

We keep our boat at Lake Powell in Utah - it winters better there. We're in western Colorado's wine country - the Grand Junction area. We go to Blue Mesa, but not with the boat. We're also about 1 1/2 hours from Moab and Arches. Let us know if you're in the area - we can give you a few tips on camping in our area.

7. SueH8

SueH8 New Member

There are 2 pop-ups listed on LetGo for the Hammond, LA area

8. dranrab

dranrab Member

I will be going to Crested Butte. It is a summer playground for the outdoors person. All of Colorado is. Western CO is a different and special kind of beautiful place. Back before Gateway Resort became obnoxiously expensive, I stayed there a few times. Thanks for the offer!

9. dranrab

dranrab Member

I am not familiar with that site. I pulled it up and looked but couldn't find the ones you mentioned. Can you give me a direct link?

10. Boatnman

There's a lot of boondocking along Highway 12 heading west out of Crested Butte going over Kebler Pass. There's also Lost Lake Campground on a road heading south off of Highway 12. There's also Paonia State Park where Highway 12 ends at Highway 133 to the west. Going right (north) on 133 takes you over McClure Pass towards the Aspen area.

Yeah, western Colorado is definitely a different kind of Colorado. Most people don't realize how much desert we have. Gateway Canyons Resort has certainly changed too - we took some friends there...once. Have you been to the car museum at the resort? They have a rare 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 concept car.

11. dranrab

dranrab Member

I drooled all over the floor of that museum. It's incredible. The first two years we stayed there we paid less than $200 a night for the room. Then they adjusted their business model and priced me right out of the market.

This should look familiar to you.

[​IMG]

12. Boatnman

Oh yeah, "The Palisade" in the background. The pool was closed when we stayed there with our friends from Oregon in a January. Whenever we get together, the hosting couple always has an excursion planned. This time we only told them we had a surprise winter trip for them. After we picked them up at the airport in Grand Junction and were driving to our surprise destination, they wanted to know what the plan was so we told them we were going to go ice cave camping near Telluride. When we got to Gateway Canyons, we stopped as a "final potty stop before we get to the ice caves." Needless to say, they were ecstatic to find out that Gateway Canyons was actually our final destination.

The car museum is so out of place there, but great. I especially liked the Walter Cronkite introduction.

13. dranrab

dranrab Member

That was a cool surprise for them. I first saw Gateway on a Coast to Coast motorcycle tour in 2010. You go through about 50 miles of nothingness then round the corner to see the sprawling luxury resort that is truly in the middle of nowhere. They had gasoline there at the time. I filled up, soaked in the rare and rugged beauty of the place and told myself one day I'd come back and share it with someone I love. I did just that.

14. Boatnman

When you're in Crested Butte come on down to the Grand Junction area for some wine tasting. The Colorado Mountain Wine Festival is in mid-September if you happen to be in Colorado then.

15. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Welcome from the Florida panhandle!

We bought our camper on Craigslist and have been very happy with it. ...but we did see a few gads ones first.

I just looked at your area and found a few you might want to check out.

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/rvs/5991810292.html

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/rvs/5987977611.html

https://pensacola.craigslist.org/rvs/5990768155.html

The first one is probably too big, but if it is nearby, it may be worth a look.

16. kennykamper

kennykamper Member

Welcome are you in the Coast Guard or Air Force ? My dad was Coast Guard and we got stationed in Belle Chase back in the early 90s there was an Air Force Base there also . Its a different ball game camping down there with those hot and muggy summers .

17. dranrab

dranrab Member

18. Boatnman

CONGRATULATIONS!