Hello from NW Missouri

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by herchammer, Apr 29, 2016.

1. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Hello everyone! My name is John, and my family and I are just a couple of weeks from picking up our "new to us" 2006 Palomino PUP. Kind of a long story, as to the how and why of our purchase, but, we're all looking forward to getting out to camp. I have lurked here, for quite some time, trying to learn as much as I can. I see there's still lots learn about this pastime, and we look forward to the adventure.

Just a little about us, I'm career military, my wife is a sheriff's deputy; we have 7 yr old twins, a boy and a girl. We decided to make the move to the pop up, from the tent, for comfort. I love camping, backpacking or car camping, but, my wife not so much; she grew up with campers, and loves to camp that way. I'm hoping that this will help get us out of the house, and give us the opportunity to teach the kids about the outdoors. I'm also an avid fly fisherman, and I'm hoping to incorporate that into some of our outings.

So, that was a long-winded introduction; we're looking forward to being a part of this community.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

2. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

Welcome and Thanks to both for your service. Congratulations. Took us a lot of years to get off the ground. Happy Trails from the Heart of Illinois.

3. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Welcome from Oklahoma. Your kids are at a great age for enjoying camping with you all. Have fun camping! Oh, and BTW I grew up in Tarkio, and graduated from Mizzou.

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the portal from Phoenix, Arizona!

5. creynoldsmiz

creynoldsmiz Member

From the KC area here! Going camping in NW Mo this weekend. Can you recommend any good campgrounds or state parks?

6. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

Creynoldsmiz,

Yes, Watkins Woolen Mill State Park.....A Great Camground, Paved Walking Trails, Lake, Museum, Wool Mill, etc......

https://mostateparks.com/park/watkins-mill-state-park

We have camped their many times, its a really nice park/campground.

Hope this helps?

UNI
    ORCCGEAR.com [​IMG]

7. creynoldsmiz

creynoldsmiz Member

Hah! Ive been to Watkins mill multiple times. Was thinking something closer to the Iowa border if you knew of anything else? Watkins is only about 15 minutes from my.

8. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Squaw Creek up by Mound City, MO should have some campgrounds. I would also check Oh Ranger Parkfinder.

9. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

Got-Cha We stayed their because we did a-lot of show/displays up by the K.C Airport at the Kansas City Expo Convention Center and Watkins was a great place to go for the location of the show. After working all day, it was a great place to go with friends and relax afterwards, sit around the campfire, a lot better than a Hotel. Sorry we don't camp in a lot of State Parks....

We normally camp in National Forest area. Mainly N.W Arkansas and South West Missouri...

On the Internet I saw a State Park called Long Branch State Park with amenities... https://mostateparks.com/park/long-branch-state-park
    Looks Like its above Columbia, Missouri .... We have not stayed their.....Hope This Helps?

UNI
    ORCCGEAR.com [​IMG]

10. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Welcome from MO! We have a great state park system her in MO. I have hear Thousand Hills near Kirksville is nice with a lot of activities. Happy camping!