Hello from NW Ohio

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gruss, Jun 4, 2014.

1. gruss

gruss Active Member

Picked up a new pop up little less than a month ago. Been lurking since I was researching, figured I'd finally post up.

So we moved on from one Rockwood
    [​IMG]

To another:
    [​IMG]

Shakedown at Maumee Bay
    [​IMG]

The old one served us well for about 4 years, but finally I didn't want to work on it anymore and it was a little cramped with 5 people, so now we have some room and gadgets.
    Got my PUGS installed...man I wish I had those on the old one, and now since I have AC/PUGS/Refltectix and am ready for 90+ degree camping you can all thank me now (or curse me) because it probably won't get above 80 in the midwest all summer [;)]

Hope to see ya out there, maybe some more pics this weekend which is it's next trip...look for the Bears sticker on the tongue.

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Welcome from Toledo! Did you get the new one from Labadie?

3. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] Welcome from West Central Ohio. [SUN] Happy and Safe Camping. [CP]

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

:) Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Glad you stopped by PopUpPortal. [CP]

5. chiefsou

chiefsou Member

Welcome from Central Florida! A summer with temps 80° or lower would be heaven!
    ~the chief's wife

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. gruss

gruss Active Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

@ RockyRoo: Sure did get it at Labadie, they seemed real good to deal with. Haven't had issues to report so don't know about the service dept. but man their sales are so low pressure you wonder if they need to sell anything. But really cool sales guy and the old boy that did the PDI seemed to know what he was talking about. I"m over in Northwood, we're going to go check out Leafy Oaks this weekend to see if we find anything worth noting then planning some longer stays probably in western MI or central IN. So where are all the good spots around here for quick weekend trips?

7. RockyRoo

Bob, Greg and Jim are great guys, glad you had a good experience.

One of my favorites is Harrison Lake straight out Central just past Fayette. If you have time free Fathers Day weekend check out the 2014 michigan rally in the rally thread section. It is an awesome time, an amazing group of people. I will be heading up wednesday after work till Sunday. It is only about 2 hours north of here straight up 23 or 75 although I would personally take 23 from here.

8. gruss

gruss Active Member

Dealt with Greg mostly, think I talked to Bob once and Jim is the guy that probably did my PDI? Don't matter as you said everyone I dealt with were great. I was really surprised that I lucked out and a dealer close to me actually had the best price I could find anywhere...I kept waiting for the other shoe to fall. So far it hasn't.

I'll go find that thread, not sure whats up for fathers day, but I guess if I can do something it's my day so I'll change the wifey's plans if I have to.

9. RockyRoo

The other shoe wont fall, Bob gives the best prices in all of Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. In fact most of his business isn't even from this area, he sells mostly over the net all over the country. I have seen plates from many states there picking up units but very few from Ohio. He is like NW Ohio's best kept secret.

If you want more info about the rally drop me a line. You should still be able to reserve a site in either the Oak or Hickory loop and not be super far from the core group. Definitely worth thinking about. There will be people of all ages there including kids.

10. RockyRoo

Not that I'm a pusher or anything. [;)]

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=471.0

One rally with this group and you will be hooked. Your wife will love it as well. Not only do we do a HUGE pot luck for dinner Saturday night, but the ladies get together and make us breakfast on Sunday morning for fathers day. Just sayin, who can turn down having breakfast made for us? [:)O]

11. gruss

gruss Active Member

Good to hear! Glad my gut was right, seemed like good folks there. Couple other dealers nagged and nagged...bleh

Looks like that park is a little over an hour, perfect! quickest for me is the toll road though, glad I didn't get tandem axels!

I'll see what I can figure out, I'm sure my kids wouldn't mind 2 weekends in row, but other duties call sometimes.

ahhh you posted before I finished typing, that does sound awesome. Is there wine or margaritas involved for the wives? would make an easy sell that way ;)

12. RockyRoo

How old are the kids? Harrison Lake is a nice family oriented place. They have a shallow beach, bike rentals of several styles, row boat, paddle boat and kayak rentals, hiking trails, volley ball courts and they patrol very well. For you it definitely would be easier to take the pike, I am up at Secor and Monroe, so I just shoot over to central and run straight out that way.

As for the Holly rally, Thursday night is beer tasting, Friday night is the meet and greet (bring your favorite beverage), and Saturday is the pot luck (again, bring your favorite beverage). For example, the Roo's like cokes with a "smile"

13. JeffR

JeffR Member

Hello from the south end of Wood county. Enjoy this site and your new pup. :)

14. gruss

gruss Active Member

Guess I should of checked on those rallies before! That sounds like a great weekend. Still might be able to work something out...Next year I guess if I can't rush something through.
    I'll def check Harrison Lake this summer, kids are 12, 10 and 5. I can haul their bikes so no problem there, but I like the shallow swimming, none of them are strong swimmers (I'm not really either, but I worry about them, all the carbonation while I"m camping I float ok) All love to ride bikes hike and swim though so looks like a good place to try.

Hey JeffR...I work in BG or is that still to far north for ya?

15. RockyRoo

Are you guys into halloween? Check out the midwest halloween rally at Pokagon. Roughly 1.5 hours straight out the pike for ya. Last year was the first year and we all had a blast. Same core group as the Holly rally, but in Indiana. Have to reserve early for that one though as the park fills up very early

16. gruss

gruss Active Member

I'll definitely check that out. I remember Pokagon from back when I was a kid. Nice park, we lived in Indiana then though so actually more familiar with Tippecanoe and Turkey Run. Been back to Tippy havent made it to the other state parks my family used to hit...that is always a strange feeling, you remember your way around but nothing really looks the same. Pokagon, Turkey Run, Brown County and maybe even Potato Creek are on the hit list over the next couple years.

17. RockyRoo

Yep, I know the feeling, I have the same experiences when I go up to northern Michigan.

I think Pokagon last year had something like 600 trick or treaters. It was absolutely incredible. They do a contest for best decorated site (we had to leave right after T or T so we didn't decorate at all). The 300 loop is already filling up pretty quickly though, so you won't want to wait too long if it is something you might be interested in.

18. Heady

Heady Active Member

Welcome from North East Ohio!

Don't forget about the 2014 Ohio Fall Rally at Indian Lake! :)

19. Lisa0nly

Lisa0nly Lifelong Camper

Welcome gruss!! As Jay [aka Mr. RockyRoo] has been telling the group from MI have followers from all over. I joined the group @ Pokagen for Halloween. Will be trekking to Holly MI for Father's day -- nearly 7 hrs.

Tell the wifey there is plenty of [REDC] [CB] [REDC] [CB] [pld] beverages of all types.

Hope to meet to you over a campfire!!! [CP]

20. efehser

efehser New Member

Welcome to the Portal! Another one of the Midwest Miscreants here. If you can't make it to Holly, definitely look into Halloween at Pokagon, it's a great time with better people!