Hello From Oregon

Dec 11, 2021
Salem, OR
Hi! We are new to us owners of a 1981 Coleman Valley Forge Lite. Can't wait to get this thing road worthy. It has already been an interesting experience. Being up in the PNW it was raining when we went to see this PUC for sale. I should have done a bit more research and what was listed as a 1990 trailer ended up being a 1981 trailer. But considering how nice it looked overall I let that pass. Things got a bit soaked as we checked it out but we were confident it would work out ok (there appears to be no water damage throughout the trailer).

Our experience after we paid the previous owner was interesting though. After we paid him we (the old owner and I) connected up the pigtail to it from our car. For the life of us we couldn't get any of the tail lights to work. It's 12 PM and POURING and I'm over an hour away from our home with a trailer that has no functioning lights. Did I mention I've never towed a trailer before? Anyways we try to get the lights to work (since they swore they worked previously) and we just decided it must be a grounding issue due to all the rain or maybe it is my pig tail (not). I convince my wife that we can get this thing home. Even though she is afraid of driving 50 miles on I-5 in pouring rain could be challenging. I'm hell bent on getting it and us home in one piece.

We get it hooked up and we are off. As we get to the highway I decide we can try and stop at the Subaru dealer and maybe we can get lucky and someone can take a look and tell us if it is our pigtail. Come to find out it isn't my pigtail I installed it right and there is power. So now I'm going to have to figure out what is going on with the lights when we get home. Fortunately, we get home in one piece. I get the trailer backed up on our driveway and my wife and I push it into the garage so it can get opened up a bit to dry out.

Here we are now a month into owning the trailer and I finally started looking into the electrical system to determine what I need to do to fix it. The pigtail on the trailer is a mess. So I cut back all the "new" wires and get to the good wires from the trailer. I rigged up a testing tool to test the lights with a 9v battery that I soldier some wires to (since my wife wasn't home and I was focused on getting through this). As I start testing the wires the markers all work and 2 of the 4 lights work. I then opened up the light fixtures and find some dead bulbs. As I'm replacing the bulbs I break one of the light fixtures and now I have to try to figure out what my options will be. :)

So yeah I'm having a fun time so far, and I mean that. I can't wait to get this ready for camping season!

Last edited:

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Welcome to the portal!

I don't know if you're trying to restore it, or just make it functional, but if the latter, you need to find a good trailer supply place near you and stroll in. You'll be amazed at the selection of light fixtures you can choose from.

Best of luck!

Dec 11, 2021
Salem, OR
Welcome to the portal!

I don't know if you're trying to restore it, or just make it functional, but if the latter, you need to find a good trailer supply place near you and stroll in. You'll be amazed at the selection of light fixtures you can choose from.

Best of luck!
I think for now it is just made in functional but make it right so whatever I do I have to do it to both lights at this point or my wife will go crazy :). I've looked on eTrailer and found a potential option. But I also have located the exact combination module and I'm just waiting to see if they still have them available.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
Hello & welcome from a fellow Oregonian (Beaverton) I see lots of fun & adventure in your future [:D]

Fixing, tinkering, modifying & obsessing all comes with owning a pop-up, even the newer ones, go on ask me how I know that!

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Greetings! Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

Good luck on your repairs. Stay with it and don't get frustrated. You'll get it figured out.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Welcome from northern Virginia. Owning a popup is definitely going to be a labor of love type thing as you are just beginning to find out. Good luck with your repairs.

ValerieD

Nov 14, 2021
Portland OR
Welcome from new pup owner in Portland. It sounds like you're just the guy to give your pup a new life. Good luck with the lights and whatever other challenges it presents. See you on the road.

Wonka80

Aug 5, 2022
I’ve just started restoring my daughters 1979 Coleman Valley Forge popup. Original graphics and/or lettering is impossible to find for these old gems, but they can be replicated in today’s digital world if you have a good photo to start with. So, if your machine has has the unique VALLEY FORGE lettering, as shown on the attached photo, I would greatly appreciate a closeup photo of it.
As to your clearance light dilemma, I would look at adding two separate square, or round, lights grouped together to appear as one. Install a clearance light in one and a turning light in the other. 2C33E30A-F0E9-4B09-9A9E-CCEE25B62EAB.jpeg

Dec 11, 2021
Salem, OR
I’ve just started restoring my daughters 1979 Coleman Valley Forge popup. Original graphics and/or lettering is impossible to find for these old gems, but they can be replicated in today’s digital world if you have a good photo to start with. So, if your machine has has the unique VALLEY FORGE lettering, as shown on the attached photo, I would greatly appreciate a closeup photo of it.
As to your clearance light dilemma, I would look at adding two separate square, or round, lights grouped together to appear as one. Install a clearance light in one and a turning light in the other. View attachment 86875
I responded in the other thread, mine is the newer font and not the same as yours.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Welcome the world of popup. It is fun to repair & replace as needed, at least we believe so, ( DW & Myself). Prepare well for mishaps, because they will happen, take it in stride, smile, fix it and move on. All the great memories that are to be made in the future are worth all the frustration of today. Enjoy the camp. See you on the trail.

Dec 11, 2021
Salem, OR
Welcome the world of popup. It is fun to repair & replace as needed, at least we believe so, ( DW & Myself). Prepare well for mishaps, because they will happen, take it in stride, smile, fix it and move on. All the great memories that are to be made in the future are worth all the frustration of today. Enjoy the camp. See you on the trail.
We took our first trip last month. https://www.popupportal.com/threads/2-weeks-and-2-500-miles.139531/

Unfortunately while cleaning one of the lift cables broke! :) So I will be fixing that with one of my neighbors in a few weeks.