Hello from Seattle- Just bought our first PuP! Our story and a few questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shaxs, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Well-Known Member

I concur. I typically only camp with hookups my first and last outting when I'm de-winterizing or winterizing and want the power and running water. Most of the rest of the time I dry camp. The trick for me is finding places where I can camp without hookups now since I don't have any national parks or forests nearby, only State parks that prohibit camping in non-established campgrounds :(

2. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I know you say that you will be mostly camping in the summer, but since the PUP extends your camping pleasure for more months, you may want to do the reflectix insulation mod at some point (perhaps in the winter when you have camping fever). It allows you to camp more comfortably in chillier weather. I bought double insulated roll on Amazon and cut out pieces for all the windows and my door. I sealed the edges with reflectix tape.

3. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

It isnt the cold that gets me here. Its the dark and constant rain. It is really hard to camp in that. P.s. I went to college in San Diego and winters are soooo much different up here :)

4. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Ive been trying to figure out how to level this thing. I get different level measurements everywhere I check. If I use the tongue and level it front to back there then check the back on the frame, its way off. If I use the top of the camper, it differs from both. Its driving me batty!

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yes, it can be difficult to find a place on the frame that is true level. For us, we have found a specific spot on each A-frame that was true. Get it as level as you can, using the level in one spot, not running around trying different locations. Use a long level on the inside floor and see how close that spot is, and go from there. The roofs on our pups had enough shape that they were useless to put a level on. We never got in the habit of even trying the rear bumper, since the one on our first ( & old) pup was damaged by the time we bought it.
    I think that's why some people glue levels on the body of the camper. (Those are installed when the camper is level.) We've never done that, since the sun where we live and camp tends to destroy plastics, we just learned where to put the small t-level for each camper.
    I posted these pics the other day, so sorry if it's a repeat. On our second popup, finding the location for the t-level was important. There was a small cross piece on the A-frame that seemed like it would be the place to set the level - nope, it was definitely off from actual level for the camper. An inch or so away, it agreed with the longer level inside the camper.
    We use a small t-level rather than the bull's-eye style, we haven't had much luck with the round ones. I had to use one last year, when our t-level was in the main tow vehicle, which was in the shop when I left on a trip. I could only find the bulls-eye style. I had to re-level my TT after getting all set up at the first campsite - it had a sticky bubble, so had not shown the true level at first. I went by it, but had to readjust front-to-back - my eyeballs told me it was off better than the bull's-eye level.
    BTW, we also just discovered that we need to verify the accuracy of the small t-levels. I had two new ones (after last year, we make sure to have extras) sitting next to each other on a table a couple of weeks ago, and realized they did not agree. We used the better shop level to test, and one was accurate, the other off.
    In these pictures, the camper is level front-to-back, the vertical column in the photo. It is a bit off side-to-side; that's the driveway, which has a bit of cross-slope, but not enough to use a leveler. Anything else is camera angle.

Attached Files:

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

On my rig the best place to get a good reading is on the top railing where the roof sits. To find your pups sweet spot for your levels find a level place to park open it enough to be able to use the center of the floor to get your readings. When you have the floor level go outside and find places that agree with the interior readings. I like challenge myself by eyeballing front to back first and seeing how close I really am.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Jorja likes this.
  7. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Today was a rare sunny weekend in Seattle, so I set the pup up. My 3 year old daughter even helped! My 1 year had fun on the bed

20180310_120823.jpg 20180310_104228.jpg 20180310_163126.jpg

First issue: now I knew the storage had a leak, but I didn't realize how bad. It filled a bucket over a week sitting in the driveway. Looks like i found the issue, but it's going to take a lot of caulking to fix. What do y'all think?

20180310_100331.jpg 20180310_100318.jpg 20180310_100327.jpg

8. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Second issue was leveling. Here's is a set of photos where the level in the tongue was level and the level in the floor in the camper was way off:

20180310_103332.jpg 20180310_103341.jpg

If I level the camper using the floor as guidance, here is what the tongue looks like:
    20180310_104049.jpg 20180310_104044.jpg 20180310_104059.jpg

9. jnc

I have never used the head of the tongue for leveling because it gets knocked around to much.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I always use a level in the aisle to check my level. The first couple times I also checked by sticking it onto the frame underneath (torpedo levels have magnets) and confirmed the level front to back and side to side. I too don't use the tongue to level, although initially I don't think it was that off from the rest of the camper.

11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you use the floor inside of the door for level from front to back. It is accurate and if you can access with the roof down, very easy to do. Side to side leveling needs to be done before you unhitch if you are not using a BAL device. I use the back bumper for this as it is level (parallel to the floor). I use a small 6" torpodeo level on the floor inside of the door and after unhitching, just adjust the tongue jack until it reads level.

Once you get your storage trunk all cleaned up (clean up the piano hinge area well and get all of the stuff out of there. Check for cracks in that area as you have done and also check the lid itself. It looks like you have found the leak area and it may make sense to actually remove the entire hinge before you go about fixing that crack as it may be longer and go under the hinge. Front storage trunks are great for hauling lots of stuff.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We have used a specific spot on each A-frame to level, with a small t-level - after comparing it to longer levels inside. On the popup, there was a cross piece that was definitely off from levels inside, but less than an inch away, there was a spot that agreed. Once in a while, we re-check, just for sanity's sake. The spots we use ont he A-frame don't get damaged to matter for the t-level.
    We also found out that we have to confirm the reliability of the t-level. I had two new ones sitting side by side not long ago, different brand. They did not agree, the brand that was the same as the level currently in use was fine when we compared it with the long level, the other was off. The bull's-eye levels that were included in the starter kit with the new popup and TT both were of not much use. I used a new one last year out of desperation (the good one was in the main TV, in the shop and I couldn't find a t-level) - the bubble was "sticky" and once the TT was "leveled" - my eyeballs told me I had to readjust front to back. Once I tapped the bull's-eye a few times, it indicated level the level better, so I could fix the situation.

13. jnc

It is easy to damage Levels just ask any Tradesman.

14. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I love the torpedo magnets :)

15. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I used my BAL leveler today and it was sooo easy and amazing! I got the pup level according to the inside aisle then attached these levels on the outside:

20180311_160104.jpg 20180311_160114.jpg

Speaking of the BAL, should I leave it on the pup while storing it? Also, should stabalizers be left down during storage time?

20180311_171709.jpg

I am a little nervous of removing the whole hinge. Looks like it went in with self tapping screws. If I take it off, will the screws go back in and take hold?

16. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I spent all weekend learning on my pup. I found a few more small issues.

1) The front bed does not pull out super easy. There seems to be a lot of build up in the rails including metal shavings. I cleaned them out and used Liquid Wrench Dry RV lubricant on the slides. On the back one, it flies out. The front still does not. I feel like it slides out and not roll. I watched on of the rollers while pulling it out and it does a half spin then drags, spins a little then drags. Not sure whats going on. If the roller is bad or possible the rail bent a tad. Not sure. Im am able to get it in and out with out too much trouble.

20180311_151846.jpg 20180311_151853.jpg 20180311_152039.jpg 20180311_152035.jpg

2) Also, I found on the 35 amp cord, it looks a little...burned? Maybe? It was a little brittle too the touch and flaked a little off when I inspected it closer.

20180311_165543.jpg

17. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Well-Known Member

My storage area is near a corn field (insert Iowa joke here) that's full of field mice, so having stabilizers down is just one more access point for the rodents. I keep the trailer slightly off-level anyway so the rain and snow rolls off easier.

PS - love all the pictures!

18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't keep the BAL on mine during storage. Just chock the wheels, angle as needed to assist in water runoff and lock it up. If I know I am going to popping it up and down for maintenance/trip prep I'll keep it leveled and stabilized, but if it will be more than a few weeks til I set it up again I'll take the BAL off and retract the stabs.

I had a cover like that on mine, lasted less than a year in the Texas sun. UV rays killed it. Still trying to find a good cover that will hold up to a couple years of sun. Although it looks like yours may have the Tyvek top, which mine didn't.

My front bunk is also difficult to pull out. I usually have to give it a nudge from inside to get it started, then I need to give it a final push to get it over the lip for the last inch of travel. Rollers are fine on mine, but I noticed on the last trip there is a slight bow to the bed frame. Probably the reason why my front bunk support poles can't be stored underneath anymore, as they keep getting ripped off as the bunk is slid in or out.

19. jnc

I think you 30 amp cord in done! I would replace it just for peace of mind. On the bed end I think a little oil on the rollers is worth a try. And like Sneezer does leave it level with the stabs down when you are going in & out other wise there is no need for it.

20. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If I had a BAL, I would only use it when camping or in a temporary situation.

I keep my pup outside next to the house in the summer and keep the wheels leveled. It doesn't take much since it is on a concrete slab. I only need a one inch board under one wheel. I then keep the tongue high to let the rain run off the back of the pup. I do this so that if I ever need to pop it up to work on something or pack it, it will already be level and all I would need to do in lower the tongue. Get in, get out lower the roof. Done.

Looks like you have the same levels as I do. I also leveled my pup first with a four foot level on the box frame then added the levels to the pup box.

Be extra careful with your cover. They are prone to tearing since they are so light. Be careful with the corners because that is where they tend to get tears since there are some jagged edges in that area. I don't pull mine too tight and I keep in on with bungees.

I would also think that your 30 amp cord is a problem. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap to replace.