Hello from Seminole, Florida!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mtmdc2, Sep 12, 2015.

1. mtmdc2

mtmdc2 New Member

Hello!
    We're the proud owners of a used 2008 Flagstaff 228D. We bought it about a year ago and have only had it out twice, once for a short trip and once for a very long trip. There will be a post about what we learned on the long trip coming up. I'll give you a hint, it involves tires.
    Our tow vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Sequoia.
    We're still in the learning phase of PUP camping and hope to learn more here rather than those painful lessons that occur at 1am on I-75 outside of Ocala!

Attached Files:

2. hidinginthelight

hidinginthelight New Member

Welcome and congrats! I just joined this week also. We just bought our first popup and actually picked it up today! We have a Fleetwood Arcadia and tow it with our Toyota Tacoma. We're in the Orlando area, so the next step is taking it out for our first trip. We were thinking about taking it up to Santos up near Ocala. You said you're in that area? Ever been to that campground before?

3. mtmdc2

mtmdc2 New Member

Not familiar with santos. Is it public or private campground?

I highly recommend Fort Desoto Park Campground in south Pinellas county. You can get waterfront sites. We'll be making a trip there soon when the weather cools off. It has water and power to all sites. Decent bathrooms too.

Here's a top tip on Fort Desoto. The sites fill up months in advance especially in the winter but they hold back 10% of the sites and release the hold Friday morning at 7am. That way you can book Friday, Saturday and Sunday if you want. You can book online on the Pinellas County government website. You gotta be quick... They go fast. Be on the computer a little before 0700 and keep refreshing the page. The sites will all show up at once and choose one fast.

I have camped in some of the springs in Ocala area in the past and they are nice as well. If you head to North Carolina I highly recommend Davidson River Campground in Brevard, NC. It's in the Pisgah National Forest. Only one loop has power but the other loops are right near the river. It's cool in the summer and about 8 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and even less to sliding rock.

4. hidinginthelight

hidinginthelight New Member

Wow, that's fantastic advice, thanks! All of those locations sound wonderful, I will definitely look into them.