Hello! Glad to be back to pop up camping, even though my new camper is hosed!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nrg2brn, Apr 1, 2014.

1. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

Well. I guess things happen to a 6 year old camper that has had an active life. I hope to help newbies to camping, as well as get some help on my 2008 Fleetwood Westlake! I have no documentation on it...and as I recall from waaaaay back..this site keeps parts lists. so, Off I go. I bought this thing without testing the hot water heater, or the sink DRAIN. and yeah...those two parts SEEM to be failing. hey, im not totally stupid, I got it for 4,400 and ALL visible systems are great, so even IF I had to replace those, whatever. you cant handle a little work? buy new. right? I just wish I knew more...that's where YOU come in, lol. :) the check's in the mail. Talk to you soon, good to meet you, and have a nice day!

Dave
    [PU] [TV]

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Welcome to the portal from South Texas! Did you get water damage? You got me curious [:D]

3. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] Welcome from West Central Ohio. [SUN] Happy and Safe Camping. [CP]

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome. As for the recall, what was it for? Maybe for something stupid. Your other problems could most likely an easy fix.
    Just tell us what doesn't work as it should and what you have tried.

5. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

Hello, :)
    I took the sink and stove out of the pup, and set them up outside. Love the extra counter space inside and don't need to flip the heavy combo shelf any more. Welcome to the forum [:D]

6. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

Welcome from North East Arkansas!

7. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

Welcome from the NW 'Burbs of Chicago.

WL

8. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Welcome from St. Paul, MN. Happy camping!

9. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Dave: a big welcome from way up North!

Hope those parts are easily fixable for you!

10. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

thanks y'all - I would have replied earlier, but I had no idea how to find out who had replied to my posts until I posted a question as to how to find out who had replied to my posts. Im hoping that makes sense to you. anywho. Yeah, its been an eventful month.
    I bought the popup because the floorplan is perfect for us, and its hard to find one with a good floorplan and 2 king beds. so the rest is gravy. I spent 2,000 hours learning how to repack bearings. learned that you have to watch the idiots at tirestores jacking you camper up by the axle is bad... Ive learned I need a voltmeter, and someone on here found what porch lightbulb I need, so I bought 4. No real water damage yet, but since I actually know how to respond, Ill let you know. Im dragging this mysterious POS to myrtle beach next weekend, and Im sure it will test my mechanical abilities. Thanks to all of you for the welcomes - its nice to think there is a bit of a community out there that I travel with. :)

talk to you soon!

dave

11. Loraura

Loraura New Member

You did remove the gray water drain cap on the outside of the camper right? Or does the camper have a gray tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

Yeah. it does, and I did. got the sink fixed. the Fleetwood's just have a crappy design for the drain hose when the galley is flipped down. they replaced it with new parts, but it'll break again someday, they promised me. as a matter of fact, when I first flipped it down, I sputted and left a door open, and tore it off. Im used to highwalls or my first pop up - the jayco qwest 10x - a side galley. so I had to learn THAT the hard way. my newest challenges are mildew dots in the overhead tent areas, and overheating hubs. I just repacked the bearings. I really think its the brakes that are making the hubs too hot to touch. but, that is another Oprah. Ill let you guys know. Im going to disengage the brakes the next trip, and when I stop for beef jerky at the circle K, Ill do a temp check.

13. nextwhere

nextwhere New Member

[PU] [MOD] [2C] We just started the PUP thing this year, though I have good memories of spending a lot of time in one as a kid one summer. After buying an '87 StarCraft from a friend of DW, we found some details that need attention. We had water damage, and tracked it to plumbing cracked during winter freezing. I removed all of the plumbing (we'll cook/eat outside) and dried the floor. Saves replacement of the tank, valves, and hoses, and adds storage. We're used to tenting it, though, so this may change with time.

14. champ1fc

champ1fc Member

I was right with you on your repairs until you mentioned 2 things. Bearings and POS.
    I'm considering a used PUP and an reading every word of advice to us Newbies.
    #1 How should the camper be lifted to remove the wheel, if not by the axle?
    #2 If I spend my hard earned cash on a used PUP and spent time and $ for repairs, I wonder if it is even worth it, if I'm referring to it as a POS. or is that acronym for something else?
    thanks for the advice!
    #camphappy

15. nextwhere

nextwhere New Member

[2C] I don't know about all PUPs, but on our StarCraft, you want to lift on the frame. As far as your #2, it's a bit like buying a house or car. If you have limited funds, a bit of ambition, and some tools around, you can save a lot of your travel $ by doing your own work. If you have neither time nor tools, and it's going to take the joy out it, then you might consider going with a newer trailer. It kills me to pay someone all of my $ when I can do the work myself, but I'm also on a pretty tight fun budget.

16. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

be very careful, my Fleetwood has an unusual full box frame, so Its a no brainer, lift by the frame. you may not have that. either use a 2 x 4 and somehow distribute the weight across a perpendicular connection, or use the bolts that hold the axle. that's what tire stores do. again, maybe use some wood to help distribute. as far as POS, maybe its not, necessarily, but there were things wrong with it that I did not pick up on before purchase, and I guess I am just frustrated. Popups are made to be one thing - light. this one had been used - a lot - so everything was on the edge of breaking, so I got to see it all happen at once. I would not, however, buy a popup if you don't like maintaining things, or if you get upset when stuff breaks, because something breaks quite often. you need to enjoy usually minor, yet fairly consistent maintenance/fixing. For me its become a hobby, and a way to start to become more mechanical. Ive learned so much, with the help of the people on here, I feel its something that has helped me grow a bit, get me out of my comfort zone, and give me something to work on that is challenging, yet imminently rewarding. Beats sitting on the couch watching tv.

17. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Welcome from northern IL. Hope you find lots of answers here.

18. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Welcome to the portal from the show me state. Sounds like you're on your way to fun. Congrats.

19. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

howdy all! its been a great thread, but I sold that hosed popup. when I found out fleetwood doesnt even make popups anymore, I just gave up, and decided to buy newer. I dont want to take the joy out of camping for them or me, and Im not as handy as yall. I lost 500 on the sale, but most of it was due to sputs. and the cost of learning. Its ok, its been a lot of fun, and I thank all of you for your help. :)