Hello there!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SarahRose, Jan 9, 2020.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to the slide on his Jayco making it difficult. On mine the steps in front of the tire and shower drain behind it makes that side a little annoying.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from Dukes Fl. Good Luck and happy camping

SarahRose likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yea, make sure you have enough blocks and wood in case you blow a tire on uneven ground. A bottle jack , or reguler jack as well. For the trip, take care to change your fluids in the tv and do a once over. You made the trip before, but towing will reduce the speed you go. Also note, some tunnels etc do not allow propane at all. So plan your trip accordingly. Additionally , stops for fuel food take longer as you now have to find a spot for your towed vehical and tv. It will be a much slower ride. Have fun! Do you have a chemical toilet in the pup? If so , i would keep the full hook up site. There isnt a good place to dump at the fort. Good luck have fun. When you get closer to your fort day let us know. Just went there in october, and will return this october. Have fun!

4. SarahRose

SarahRose New Member

Noted! We’ll definitely test out both tires. The last thing I want to be doing is struggling with a tire that I don’t know how to deal with on the side of the interstate!!!

5. SarahRose

SarahRose New Member

Thank you! We’re definitely committed to avoiding mechanical catastrophe (as much as humanly possible!!!) and appreciate the wisdom.

Oooh, another Fort fan! We have friends who are booked for the same week in a partial hookup so we’re trying to get as close as possible to them. I guess that could also be possible if they’re put in the 1500 loop, but we know that’s always a slim chance. But the added benefit of the sewage drain is definitely a plus. We have a portable toilet that is just for night use, but we would want to dump it during the week for sure.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That is where an Emergency Roadside Service (ERS) comes in, CAA/AAA, Goodsams, Coachnet are a few..

7. SarahRose

SarahRose New Member

This is very true. We do have CAA but I have never had to use it (knock on wood) for anything other than maps and always forgot that we have it.

8. Sjm9911

Yea , no dump station at the fort. Unfortunately they dont give out the sites untill the last minute. But if you get there eary and request something they try to accommodate, but if you are both arriving on the same day it will be a crap shoot. Lots of fort people here.some very knowlageable. I leaned a lot from them. Im also on the disboards for disney planning. Lol.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Having towed a lot in the US I'd question whether this is true. [?:~{] Any restrictions we ever ran into because of tunnels or long bridges there were signs along the way warning that propane tanks must be turned off before entering the tunnel or bridge, with a place provided to safely pull over and turn the tanks off.

10. Sjm9911

You did question it, but your experiences aee diffrent then mine. It depends on the area and if its allowed.. Quick list.
    https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/propane-tanks-in-tunnels
    And the main one for going to disney is to take 695 around the tunnel , that adds an hour onto the drive to disney if going on 95. It states it on the road as well.

BillyMc likes this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Unless there has been a change there is at least one at Baltimore and one at Boston that I have encountered. Norfolk you are required to stop at state the valves are closed. My experience with them is a year ago for some a a few years for others.

12. GreyFox

That's the point, isn't it? ... in any case where propane containers might be prohibited (which we personally have never experienced) there will always be an alternative route offered with no restrictions. Rules can also change as time goes on so the experience of one may not necessarily match those of another. In our personal experience we've only ever had to ensure the tanks were turned off and safe parking to do this has always been provided. Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in the east would be one example ...

http://www.cbbt.com/travel-information/compressed-gas-regulations/

... tunnels in the west (Colorado) would be another. IMHO it's much ado about nothing, no different than the erroneous claim that traveling in any state or province with a propane fridge running is illegal, which of course it's not, exceptions being some bridges & tunnels. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  13. Sjm9911

Yes the bay bridge alows propane. As do all the others not on my list. I just said to check before you go. I didnt list individual tunnels and briges , i left it up to the op to do there due dillagince armed with the information. And , the bay brige will not let you tow anything across if its windy out. ( i avoided it as i couldn't take the chance). And it is not much ado about nothing if your planning on using 95 to get to disney. It adds an hour to the trip. Thats why i posted it. Im not sure how there route will take them out of canada and down to the sunshine state. Thats up to them and not me!

14. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Welcome to the portal from Alberta!

15. GreyFox

Of course this is much ado about nothing. ;) Having done considerable long distance traveling / camping trips ourselves I can assure anyone that "stuff happens" and being delayed an hour or two should be considered neither here nor there. Once on our way west an entire section, both westbound and eastbound, of I80 simply did not exist as it was being totally replaced. Traffic in both directions was routed to adjoining 2 lane local roads. It happens, so on any long distance trip planning to be in a certain place in time is foolish - if lucky you can divide the distance you hope to make by 50 mph and have a reasonably accurate idea as to when you might see your destination provided you don't encounter any unusual delays BUT as so often is the case "stuff happens" and in reality you may not be there for some hours more - has happened to us more times than I can remember. :rolleyes: Bridges and tunnels with propane restrictions are just one of many reasons one can be delayed on any long distance trip. :oops:

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I actually use google maps to plan a route, take the time it says and if towing add 1 hour for every 2 hours google says .. As long as I get to the campground prior to the gatehouse closing, it doesn't matter how long it takes.

17. SarahRose

SarahRose New Member

We prefer the route down I95 but take the I75 in winter. The routes are about equal time and distance for us, but I75 is a straighter and flatter route and less likely to encounter unpredictable mountain weather.

18. Sjm9911

So you might be better to avoid the i95. That way you can save the hour. I do agree , stuff comes up when towing, but adding an hour just adds an hour, the stuff thays adds to that time still comes up, lol. Its not something thats sprung on you its part of the route.