HELP.. all 4 of my lift arms and cables are broke

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by tonyahinders, Mar 27, 2016.

1. tonyahinders

tonyahinders New Member

I just recently bought a 1985 starcraft starlite 19 pup. I paid $500 for it and was told everything was fine and in working order except the lift system didn't work and it would only cost $50 to fix. I looked up the cables and that's also the price I found so I bought it.. got it home and inspected it better and seen that under to tile the floor was completely rotted,a mouse had chewed a few holes in the canvas (he had the canvas zipped down). So my bad for not paying better attention..anyway,I've had to replace the wood floor, lanoleum, make a new cushion,reupholster the other cushions, paint cabinets,replace countertops, scrub canvas,sew holes and tears in the canvas,so now I'm to the point of the lift system,we have been holding it up with wood planks while we work on it but the system has to be fixed to go camping,I was quoted $800 to fix the system. Yuk. My son is a welder and he is thinking he may be able to fabricate some external lifts.my question is has anyone ever done this and if so do u have any suggestions..I wanted this to be a cheap remodel.

2. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

I would buy what I needed and fix it myself, their are several videos on you tube and several posts here with info on doing it .I'm sure your son would be able to figure it out ,I think that would be easier that making a whole new lift system. Good luck let us know how it goes

3. tonyahinders

tonyahinders New Member

Thanks,it just looks like a big giant mess of broken cables,it's very intimidating. All the arms are there and in tact,maybe I'll have him watch a couple of videos,I don't understand a single thing they are talking about

4. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Your subject line says the arms and cable are broken... or is it just that the cables are broken, so the lift arms don't lift?

There is plenty of information on this forum about replacing the cables, it's likely a matter of patience rather than any particular skill set. I would recommend pulling out the "mess of broken cables", to give yourself a clear and less intimidating work area. If you can, make a few notes of what comes out of where, to guide you when you put then new ones in.

Good luck with the rebuild

5. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Welcome from Texas! Sounds like you got taken advantage of. That happens way too often. You have a lot of sweat equity invested and with lots of research the lift system can be fixed at a lot less than $800. I know it is discouraging and seems overwhelming, but take deep breaths, push through it, and you will have such a feeling of accomplishment when it is completed.

FYI: When possible post pictures of any problems. It helps us give you better advice.

6. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

My advice is if you don't know what you are doing then it is best to leave it up to the professionals. It may cost less in the long run.

7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

8. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I took on an older Coleman a couple of years ago with a single broken lift cable. I fixed that one and then another one went. Long story short, I ended up doing all 4 to bring it up to speed. I knew nothing about the Coleman system when I started but I sure did after that project. The point I'm making is that, with a little study and some practice, you can probably do a project like this yourself. They can be intimidating at the start but they are not impossible.

9. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=50641.msg390807#msg390807

I'm posting from my phone, so I'm a bit limited here. I found a link to a similar thread with a diagram I made that you might find useful if your cables are a jumbled mess. The lift system is readily pretty simple one you see how it operates.

Aggravating phone wants to put the link in the middle of the paragraph. ..

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you found a much greater mess than expected. It seems to be a fairly common occurrence, sad to say. Sometimes the original owner is aware of the problems, often not - it also happens when someone decides to work on a pup they've owned and neglected for a while.

What type of lift arms are they? I am not familiar with the pup you bought. Canvas Replacements makes a great external lifter arm replacement. We installed them on our '84 Palomino, and it was obvious they had addressed some problems common to the originals.
    http://www.canvasreplacements.com/index.php/cPath/20_200?osCsid=94edf810ba2083446d1ad3d53dda0427

11. tonyahinders

tonyahinders New Member

Thanks yall!! I have no idea what kind of lift arms they are. I know what they look like but not what they may be called. I'm hoping with this info yall r giving me and the encouragement that it can be done,I can talk my son into checking into it,he should understand this way more than me :) is it better to buy the pre made cables or make your own?

12. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

That depends on the lift system. My Skamper requires a factory made main cable but the Coleman I did needed them made in position. (The tool to do this is about $20 at Home Depot which is a steal in my view.) They had to be threaded through and then cut and installed underneath.