Help..campgrd suggestions needed for Gettysburg/Amish/Philly

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by kimlovescamping, Apr 9, 2013.

1. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

Working on summer 2014 plans... would like to be ready to make reservations in July 2013 for June 2014.

I have spent several hours working on where to stay and go. My DS and DH are huge history buffs. Main purpose of the trip is to visit Gettysburg. DS mentioned some other battlefield too, but I have forgotten the name already. We will have 3-4 nights for Gettysburg area. Would like to just ride through Amish country and find a campground on the north side of Philly for 2 nights. Also, I may need a chocolate fix at Hershey.

Need convient campgrounds with electric/showers and also need tips on what not to miss while we are in PA. We prefer SP, but are open to the private CG also. Have to stick with east side of state as we'll head up towards NYC after.

Thanks so much for all your help!!
    Kim

2. joannme

joannme New Member

Not sure North , South...??? But last year we stayed at Gettysburg Campground....Not BATTLEFIELLD as that is a buy your spot. THe campground people were GREAT! there is a little river that runs through it if you can get a spot on that it is nice, they have activities all through the year, a pool , (when we wnet for 4th of July it was 103). Littel store, Ice Cream store...small and friendly. We will go back. Was close to downtown Gettysburg and everything we wanted. If you like history of the battle, I strongly suggest you look into a guided horseback our of the Battlegrounds, I have done this twice and am always in awe!

3. campermom

campermom Member

My suggestion for the Hershey area is Hershey Highmeadow we camped there in our tent and loved it (no pup at the time). And my other suggestion for a great time is Knoebels in north central PA.

4. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Caledonia State Park is 15 minutes from Gettysburg and a real bargain. It has hookups too. The self-guided auto tour is fantastic but give yourselves at least 2 days and get out of the car to explore. Downtown is beautiful to walk around at night.

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Gifford Pinchot SP is about 30 miles from Gettysburg
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/giffordpinchot/index.htm#staythenight

Pine Grove Furnace SP is about 20 or so.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/pinegrovefurnace/index.htm

Caledonia SP is about 15.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/caledonia/index.htm#camping

Codurus SP is around 25 miles East.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/codorus/index.htm#camping

Cowans Gap is 40-50 miles west.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/cowansgap/index.htm

Little Buffalo SP is NW of Harrisburg 50 miles or so from Gettysburg.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/littlebuffalo/index.htm#camping

And there are some a further distance to the East.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/where/index.htm

Others will post what they are like, as mercman just done. It has been years since I have camped out that way.

6. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

Thanks y'all. I am leaning towards Cordorus SP. Seems like it is about an hour to Amish country and an hour to Hershey. That way we could leave the pup in one location and stay instead of moving daily. Anyone have any specific tips on Cordorus?

Any suggestions on parks north of Philly, but not too far... maybe an hour. Safe, but we could still drive into Philly for the liberty bell and independence hall?

7. Old_Geezer

For something North of Philly you'll be a little pressed to find one within an hours time, French Creek is NW. Since I am from western PA someone from eastern PA could probably steer you in a better direction. Even though MapQuest will tell you a drive is an hou,r but it doesn't take into account traffic in Philly. I am not sure how that is. Another SP that comes to mind is Locust Lake but that is probably much further North than you want and is actually more NW.

8. campermom

campermom Member

I lived in Chester County ally life until last year (FL now). French Creek is a nice park. We never camped there only day trips but friends have. Travel time to Philly is ok. With traffic prob 90 minutes but worth it to be out in the country. Also close to outlets in Reading.

9. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

Any suggestions campermom on what to do in Philly? cheesesteak, liberty bell and ind hall are the only things I know of.

10. Old_Geezer

If you want a Cheesesteak come to Pittsburgh, All Philly has is a name. Let the Cheesesteak war begin [LOL]

11. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping Member

My DD has already asked if she can get it without the cheese. :)

Pittsburgh will have to be the next summerÂ…. with the western portion of NY too. We just don't have enough time off. I wish someone had told me to be a teacher!

12. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Codorus Campground Review and Pics: Good signs to get into campground. Stayed on Loop C. Bathouse was clean and adequate, everything worked. Paved driveways and parking pads. Sites 87-120 are shady all day. 87 and 89 co-join. PUPS OK on sites 87-91, 97, 101, 105-107, 112-120. RV OK on 113 and 114. Sites 148-152 level and full sun with grassy area sloping down hill behind. Sites in upper 30 amp D loop are all full sun and land slopes down hill toward site 170.

Walmart is 15 min away. Bikes were a good idea, c loop is level. pool has slides and a $4 fee and you can re-enter, but is cheaper if you are a camper, so take your registraion papers with you. If in C loop you can walk over, the path is hilly though. There is a concession stand and ice cream stand, but can take your own too.

Boat rentals are available. Should make reservations for pontoons, they're popular. $51 1st hour, $237 2nd and 3rd hour, $144 4 hours. Nice frisbee golf course on Day use side.

http://photobin.midatlanticcampers.org/v/CampingMisc/Recons/Codorus2012/ link for site pics

When I was over and took these pics, I really liked the amount of shady spots all over the park.

13. campermom

campermom Member

I would suggest The Italian Market (can't go wrong there).
    Willies pork sandwiches yummy (end of Italian Market opposite end of Gino's Steaks)
    Eastern State Pen (cool oldest jail)
    South St (unique shops and lots of bars)
    A sports event (eagles, phillies, flyers) not sixers they stink. Nothing beats a Philly sports event live
    Chinatown is cool but only ever went there if we were going to a show at the convention center
    This will get you started. If you let me know when you will be there I can ask my friends still up north what festivals/events are going on. Always something cool

14. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen Gold Supporting Member

The Franklin Institute is always fun for the kids. Or at least it was when I was a kid. The Mutter Museum is supposed to be really interesting with bizarre stuff. The Art Museum is always good.

I found the best cheesesteak out in the burbs at a place called "Pudge's". Best every. Pat's and Geno's in the city are tourist traps and don't compare. And, please, Pittsburgh and cheesesteak should never be uttered in the same sentence. Who would ever put french fries and eggs on a steak sandwich? (first salvo!) [EEK]

15. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Gettysburg campground was good according to my son. We tried to get it for this summer but its not handicapped accessable, at least to a wheelchair person.

We are staying in Lake In Wood CG in August and it is accessable. about 90 minutes away from gettysburg and we go through Amish counrty to get there.

Remind me in the middle of August and I will let you know how it turned out.

Jerry in MA

16. horrocks family

horrocks family Boone, NC

We lived in S. jersey for 11 years before we just moved to NC. If you're a foodie, go to Reading Terminal Market in Philly. Also try to catch a phillies game or Camden river sharks across the river in NJ. Adventure aquarium in Camden is great too. As far as a campground, this one isn't north of Philly...it's an hour south but FABULOUS!!! Elk neck state park north east, MD. Really, really great. :)

17. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

I stayed at Artillery Ridge Campground a couple of years ago and thought it was fine. Restrooms were adequate and clean. If you've got history buffs with you I highly recommend the horseback tours of the battlefield that leave right from the campground. If you want W/E hookups try site 35. It gets really hot in July, so don't forget your cooling devices!

18. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Mountain Creek Campground is about 10 miles north of Gettysburg in Gardners PA. Really nice place.

19. kpic

kpic New Member

Gettysburg is well worth seeing.

He might have mentioned Antietam Battlefield? There is also Harpers Ferry, WVa

As I grew up near there in the Catoctins, I've been to all of the battlefields.

If he wants to see Antietam, there are a few MD SP in the area. Gambrill State Park is nice and Greenbrier State Park has a lake. A little further are Cunningham Falls State Park, Fort Frederick State Park, Catoctin National Park. None of them are close to Antietam or Harpers Ferry, but they are a short drive.

I haven't lived there since 1990, so it would be better for others to rate the CGs.

20. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

Philadelphia/West Chester KOA is nice, the sites down by the river are the best. It is about 40-45 minutes West of Philly but within 20 minutes you have some really great attractions like Longwood Gardens, the Brandywine Battle Field and the Brandywine River Museum that features the art of the Wyeths. It is also close to Amish country.