HELP!!!! Canvas replacement needed!!!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Vanisa, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Vanisa

Vanisa New Member

I need to fix or replace the canvas and screen on my pop-up. I went to local business and the guy treated me and talked to me like I was an idiot. I'm pretty sure it was because I am a female. He literally did not believe my pop up had a canvas. He insisted it was vinyl. I showed him pictures of the damaged areas and his reply was "Oh wow. I guess you do know what you are talking about". He said they would call me when my canvas came in (they ordered something). Well its been 8 months. I want to start my makeover in the spring as soon as it gets nice. My boyfriend and I intend to do lots of camping this year. [PU]
    I have no idea where to even begin!!!!! [RTM]
    HELP!!!!!

Your camping friend from the ice cold mitten. No really, its about 7 degrees right now. [sf] This site is the only thing keeping me warm. [:D]

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The two main replacement places are canvasreplacements.com and bearcreekcanvas.com.
    Both have good reputations and similar prices. We bought a new canvas for our first pup from CR. It was fabric-backed vinyl, replacing "Evolution" non-woven fabric. We went with CR because they had the pattern, BCC would have required the original. That was long gone.

3. Vanisa

Vanisa New Member

Awesome. I am going to check them out. Thanks so much!

4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

I know what you mean about being treated like an idiot because of gender! That happened one time when my husband and I were buying a new car and the finance guy kept ignoring me (I was the one giving all the answers) and speaking directly to my husband who upon realizing this said "you might want to start asking my wife those questions since she's the one who takes care of the finances at our house!" Good luck with getting a new canvas, lots of folks seem to have had good experiences with the places the kitphantom mentioned. We were lucky that we found a local place (who didn't act like we were stupid) to order ours from. Happy camping!

5. Vanisa

Vanisa New Member

I'm sorry you had that kind of experience.
    What was your local place? My boyfriend is close to scraping the whole idea and buying a camper!!!!
    I'm not sure how I feel about that.

6. Hunter30g

Hunter30g New Member

What is the year, make, and model of your pop up?

7. Vanisa

Vanisa New Member

1995 Starcraft

8. Hunter30g

Hunter30g New Member

I live on the north end of lake st Clair and there are several sail and canvas stores that could probably do the repair for you. Short of that I have had good luck in the past going to a fabric store like Loann's and asking the sewing machine sales ladies if they knew anybody.

9. Vanisa

Vanisa New Member

That sounds like a good idea.

10. wisejimmy

wisejimmy New Member

the problem is the canvas is huge and bulky to sew. try a awning place. canvas shops are pricey. im an upholsterer and repaired mine. that said when its replaced ill buy mine. i cant buy the plastic, zippers , screen or cover materials for what they make them for.
    if you are handy you can change one. dont buy into how hard they are. its not to bad to install if you can handle basic stuff. but you will find if rot it there etc

11. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Nothing burns me anymore than having a "man" tell me I don't know what I'm talking about when I do. I feel your pain... I know about cars and trucks and they stand there and look at me like I grew a second head when I call them out on lying to me. Anyway enough of that... I have heard good things about CR. Replacing your canvas should be pretty straight forward. Take lots of pictures and only take down and put up sections at a time if you can. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

12. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

So sorry you are treated that way. I used bear creek and they were awesome, timely, great quality. Very happy with them. Have fun camping!

13. wisejimmy

wisejimmy New Member

i never treated women like that. if i felt they were light on info id explain things and always told them if husband had questions give a ring. same price, never cheat them, always ask if they had questions

14. Vanisa

Vanisa New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. It really helps. My boyfriend doesn't think so but that's because he knows he has to help me do all the work. I am finding that I am struggling to find a theme.