HELP...CLEANING POP UP?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by lovetocamp2010, Jun 5, 2011.

1. lovetocamp2010

lovetocamp2010 New Member

JUST PICKED UP THE POP UP?

WINDOWS NEED TO BE CLEANED - WHAT DO I USE?

CURTAINS A LITTLE YUCKY - CAN I WASH THEM IN THE WASHING MACHINE AND DRY THEM?

RAILS SEEM A LITTLE TIGHTER WHEN WE FIRST LOOKED AT IT - JUST ADD WD40?

2. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

wash the curtains in the washing machine, we hang dry ours, don't use wd-40, use silicone spray for the slides, make sure to hold a piece of cardboard behind it to keep it off the canvas. wd-40 attracts dirt.

3. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

For cleaning the plastic windows just use a damp clean soft cloth, if you use cleaning products such as Windex or Fantastic they can sometimes leave a film.

4. Mountdream

Mountdream New Member

Question about the plastic window—ours has a bit of grease. What do you use to take it off?

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

The vinyl windows in most pop-ups is the same material used in automotive convertible tops. Anything that has ammonia or alcohol in it will eventually turn them yellow and make them brittle. Basically any car wash soap that specifically lists itself as being safe for convertible tops will work just fine. I mix up a bit of the soap with water in a trigger spray bottle and spray the windows with it, then rub them with a soft cloth. I rinse them with a wet cloth (just tap water) and dry towel. I use Blue Coral brand, but that's just me - any brand that's safe for convertible tops will work fine. It'll also take off grease fairly well, but you might need to clean the greasy window a couple of times to get all the grease off.

6. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

BAYLOR WAYLOR - thank for the tip on cleaning the curtains...I got them down but was stumped about throwing them in the washer. Moving ahead with interior "whole-house" cleaning. THANKS for taking the time to respond to inquiry.

7. Canadienne

Canadienne New Member

I would use Good old vinegar and water to clean vinyl windows. It's safe,cheap,cuts grease and leaves no streaks. [2C]

8. Mountdream

Mountdream New Member

We use vinegar for everything around the house. It's ok to use on the plastic windows?

9. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I say start with some mild soap and water and work up from there. Its amazing how good it will work with a little elbow grease. :)

10. tvketchum

tvketchum New Member

We have never had a problem with Murphy's Oil Soap. Takes the dirt, bird doo, pine pitch, and road grime off very well, does not attack canvas or vinyl windows, and does not cause haze or films or yellowing.

11. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Murphy Oil Soap is my fave, too. Good stuff!

12. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

Hillbilly Housewife recently had a recipe for a cleaning solution that I finally made and tried; think it's the best all-around cleaner I have ever used and is infinitely less expensive that the brandds. Solution: in a regular sized spray bottle, fill one fourth of the bottle with vinegar, give it two good squirts of Dawn (NOTE: look for the dark blue "original" detergent), then fill the bottle to the top with water. I use it in the tub and shower and now on hard surfaces in my pup including the floor, and it produces great results. Don't be put off by the vinegar smell, it dissipates within 10-15 minutes.

I also make my own laundry detergent and fabric softner for pennies a load. Let me know if anyone is interested in that recipe. Take care and keep camping.

13. IV Nurse

IV Nurse New Member

Yes, please share the recipes. Are they safe for front-loading HE machines?

14. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

newbie question- when you wash all the curtains, do they detach from their clips. We are getting our camper in about 2 weeks and I would like to do a spring cleaning. Do the curtains come off easy. I will have a '99 fleetwood nevada. Thanks!

15. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

The curtains are easy to come off, they pretty much just slide out. If a clip does come off you can just sew them back on real easy.

16. mesuezee

mesuezee New Member

cool thank you!

17. tess1

tess1 New Member

I am a big fan of Dawn for anything greasy that needs something gentle. Peanut butter in my child's hair. Desitin smeared over her younger sister. The entire jar of vasoline smushed into my walls.

I used to work for an oil company and we used it to clean crude oil off birds during spills. Birds are very fragile really, so goes to show how delicate it is. And crude is definitley heavier than any grease you'll pick up around the house. Plus, you only need a few drops.

Tess