[HELP] - Coleman Valley Forge door/step stuck

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by wlshafor, Sep 2, 2015.

1. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

I have a 1977 Coleman Valley Forge popup. I'm having issues with not being able to open the step/door am I doing somthing wrong what is the correct way to open? Do I need to raise the camper up on can I just open the step

2. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I'm not sure what the problem is that you are describing but from the pictures you included, the door latch is locked. Get a key to pop the latch out then turn it to pull the draw bars inside of the door so you can lower it.

The key for that is the same one they've used for decades. The one from my '06 will fit your '77. Ask around.

Am I misunderstanding your issue?

4. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

I have the key but I'm having a hard time figuring out what I need to do to make the step open so I can get inside without having to use a step ladder

Does the camper need to be fully closed for the step to work or can I raise up the roof?

5. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

[​IMG]

6. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

What does your key look like mind showing me maybe in using the wrong keys I just bought this popup towards the end of July I'm just trying to restore it and now this step/door is giving me a nightmare.

The wife and I got the popup fixed up enough to take camping this Friday.

7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

When you turn the key to unlock it the handle should pop out. When it does you need to turn it to the right (clockwise), which should release the door/step. Hope that helps.

8. mdigby

mdigby New Member

On my coleman arcadia (92), the key goes in the lock and the lock (circle) rotates in the rectangle. After it rotates, the silver rectangle "pops out" (its spring loaded in mine).

After the rectangle pops out, you can turn it. When it turns 90 degrees, the draw bars move together towards the door center , pulling out of the sides. The door then drops down to form a step.

Im sure there's a video on YouTube.

9. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

I have a 24/7 locksmith coming to look at it for $10 fee so hopefully it's user error

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

All the above advice is correct.

Turn the key and the cylinder and the rectangle handle will pop out at you. Until you get the cylinder to turn, your door will stay locked. Nothing else is involved such as roof up or down. That does not matter. For this, that lock is everything. Shoot some graphite powder, rust penetrate, WD-40 or something to make the innards move for you.

Sorry, I can't get to the key to take a picture. I'm traveling.

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Is there a # on the lock or the key sticking in it? CH1 is a norm for Colemans, Starcrafts, Jaycos...and others. Even some boats! LOL

You've never really said....did you turn the key? Did the knob pop out? Did you then turn the knob clockwise to pull in the lock bars?? Then the door should drop.

Good luck!!

Pam

12. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

The key isn't turning

Also the keys look like they where remade

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Yeah, obviously the wrong key. Could that key fit your storage door?

How'd it go with the locksmith?? Did you find a # on the lock itself??

[:D]

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Can't you reach inside and unlock the door manually? Or is the lock strictly for traveling and has no mechanism inside??

[:D]

15. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

Can't reach inside to unlock it :(

16. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

Locksmith went kinda good. The key is the correct key. What was wrong is that the lock core has failed the core teeth are not responding correctly. So he picked it and popped it open and suggested I replace the hole lock it's self. We locked it to see if the key would work but it didn't so he picked it again and now it's in the unlocked position. Hopefully I can find the replacement parts needed to get the popup ready for our trip on Friday.

[​IMG]

17. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Glad you got it opened. Sorry that it's a pain.

When I had to replace mine, I found the cheapest source was found at http://colemanpopupparts.com/products/access-door-lock. I doubt you'll get it by Friday but just don't lock it. Friction should be enough to hold it in place. If you want to redneck it in the meantime, you can put something between the wings of the lock and the door so that it doesn't get pushed in and then duct tape it in place.

18. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

Thank you for the link I'll have to buy a new lock on payday

19. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

That should be a pretty standard door lock cylinder. I know it is a pain to get it out (I think you have to drill out rivets) but once out you should be able to have the locksmith replace the cylinder for really cheap. No reason to replace the whole thing. Just time involved in removing and reinstalling.

20. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I take it you've not had any locksmithing work done before? For less than the price of what the locksmith will charge in time and parts, he can have a new lock without any rust or corrosion issues. At least this is true with the locksmiths I've dealt with before on doing anything other than opening a lock.