Help deciding on Hybrid

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by rcguy, Feb 26, 2016.

1. rcguy

rcguy New Member

We have a 2015 Sienna Van with the V6 3.5 liter motor. We are looking at a Spree Escape E18RBT hybrid. Unloaded Vehicle weight is 2,690 lbs. GVWR is 3,500 lbs. Can this work? The more I read, the more confused I get. The Sienna is suppose to tow 3,500 lbs but would I be pushing it? No mountain driving planned.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Please, please don't use the fictitious dry weight of the trailer the dealers and manufactures flaunt around .. DRY WEIGHT is a B.S. number.. No one will ever camp in a dry trailer..

Yes that trailer will be pushing your van all over the place.. trailer will be way to heavy for what your van can safely tow and stop ..

3. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Unfortunately any minivan will never adequately pull a hybrid. Don't think of just the weight. Pulling 3500 lbs of bricks on a trailer or a boat down the road is completely different than the barn door front of a full size unit.

A minivan just doesn't have the front surface area to break the wind up enough to keep the camper from turning into a sail.

Do people do it - yes.

I chose to go with a PUP because I felt the hybrid was too big for my TV and it's an Explorer with 5000 lb capacity.

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Our TV is a Tahoe w 5.3L and close to 6000# towing a 5000# hybrid and I feel it back there (w WDH and A-Sway). Gas mileage went from 15 mpg PUP to 10 mpg HTT. And yes, it can pull the load at speed but it closes the safety gap.

5. rcguy

rcguy New Member

Thanks for the help! I think Ill stick with my 2010 Coachman PUP!

6. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

the Sienna can tow 3500lbs., IF it has the factory tow package and just a 150lb. driver.
    any other passengers and stuff in the van, lowers that 3500 number by its weight.

and a HTT or TT's frontal area will exceed the Sienna's frontal area limit.

there are some that do it but i wouldn't.

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I'll agree with the majority and say you don't want to do that....I could have sold you my old TV up till yesterday..... [:D]

8. rcguy

rcguy New Member

I sure like the ease of setup and electric awning on the Spree Escape hybrids. Now I was looking at the Spree Escape E16RBT which is a little lighter with a dry weight of 2,398 lbs. My Clipper is 1800 dry weight. Hitch weight is 293 versus 210 on my Clipper. I would really like to think this could work if I got brakes and equalizer hitch but I don't want rally overtax the TV. On the other hand, a 12 pup is probably the same weight to tow.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Read ... this ... (again )

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

If you really like the Hybrid, then go for it, just realize that you will need to get another TV in short order, or look into renting a truck from uhaul.

11. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

The rule of thumb I heard from somewhere on this forum was don't tow over 80% of your towing capacity. Which makes sense to me to leave expansion room. I would follows Snow's recommendation [;)]

12. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

Just want to add a clarifying point to the discussion, It was stated somewhere above that the Sienna's 3500 lb tow rating only included a 150 lb driver. That is incorrect, since 2011 all Toyota models meet the trailering requirements of the international SAE J2087 standard. Which means that for a vehicle with a GVWR under 8500 Lbs (which the Sienna is) then that also includes a 150 Lb passenger on top of the 150 driver. Obviously as stated, other passenger/cargo weight gets deducted from the 3500 after that.

As a nice to know: For vehicles over the 8500 GVWR then there is allowances for 100 lbs of cargo built into the rating.

13. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

RCguy later mentioned a Spree Escape 16RBT as a compromise choice. I just checked and that Hybrid has a GVWR of 2800 lbs. That looks easily doable. With the Sienna moderately loaded RCguy should still be within Toyota specs. Assuming that he is also under his manuals GCWR, GAWR, and he keeps his Tongue Weight within Toyota recommended 9-11% he should still easily be within Toyota's limits.

The Sienna might sag in the rear so a WD hitch might be necessary.

14. dnb

dnb 1996/97 Coleman Yukon -- PacNW

Every time I read a thread like this about TV's i'm thankful I own a big Chevy CrewCab diesel. It's a beast and it will tow just about anything without thinking about weight loads.

15. dbldbs

dbldbs New Member

2013 Town and Country, 2015 Spree Escape 200s slide, 2900lbs. WDH, I95 5th gear cruise control no sweat, Mtns South Carolina 4th gear no problem.

16. rcguy

rcguy New Member

Well, We ended up buying a new Spree Escape E18RBT. It really looks like it will fit our needs.
    After losing sleep thinking about towing with the Sienna Van I decided it was not worth the anxiety at every hill. I found and 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 with a5.3 ltr. V8 Crew Cab tow ready. It was a good price and and beautiful truck. 3,500 is half the tow rating foir the GMC so I should fear no hill!!!
    Now my question is regarding the Spree Escape's 8,000 BTU wall AC unit. It looks like several manufacturers are going to this. Do these cool and 18 foot Hybrid? Actually box is 15 feet excluding the 2 bunk ends.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect NTU TV.. better to have little or no concerns over whether your TV will make it up the next hill..

IIRC the roof top ac on our TT is 11,500 BTU's (could be wrong, in which case it is 13,000 BTU's) and is a roof ducted design so it cools down to the point of freezing you out.. With a wall mount style that is non ducted the area directly around the unit will be much colder then the rest of the HTT.. You may want to get a couple small desk fans to help move the air around (one fan pointed to each end of the trailer), same as you would with an unducted furnace.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I too would suggest. The fan mod to help circulate the air. Congrats on your purchase. And welcome to the KZ family

19. rcguy

rcguy New Member

Thanks! We pick up the Trailer on thursday. NTU Truck on Friday. I can't sleep. [:D]

20. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

That TV will solve ALL the previous TV issues! [:D]