Help! Dripping around vent

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Michel, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Michel

Michel Member

I bought a used Hybrid trailer (Aerolite Cub) and tonight we have had one of those rain all night nights. When my wife went to the washroom, she found a puddle of water. Water is dripping down around the vent. What can I do? I have a rubber roof on top. Silicone around the vent on the roof? Will the water damage the entire roof? Is rot likely to set in?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Michel

[​IMG]

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

3. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

How about trying that rustoleum never wet and telling us how it works

4. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

x 2 on the dicor sealant, I always have a tube on hand just in case I see a seem that may need some attention. Make sure you get the stuff that is self leveling, that way you simply apply and let it set up. No need for tooling it smooth.

Good luck with your repairs.

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

X3 on the Dicor self leveling. If it is silicone caulk around the vent you want to carefully remove it without damaging the membrane. If it is just cracked dicor lap sealant you can clean it really well with denatured alchohol and flow the new dicor over it. As a previous aerolite owner I can tell you the flat roofs on them can be problematic. A small crack or pinhole will leak like crazy as water lays on those flat roofs. The same situation on a crowned roof may not leak at all.

Remove the plastic bezel on the inside of the vent so the plywood can dry out. It should be ok if you stop the leak and has not been leaking for a long period of time.

6. Michel

Michel Member

Thanks all! They did not have the Dicor, but they had RMAX TRM PLY that is a self leveling sealant. I am hoping that it is the same idea just different brand. The rain just does not want to stop so I will put s tarp on top to try and minimize the water coming in for now. I am just hoping that the roof won't be severely damaged.

7. Michel

Michel Member

Murphy's Law, the leak must happen in the middle of the night and the rain must be unending, build an ark kind of rain :(

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Throw a tarp over and get the dicor........I can not find any info on the rmax sealant you mention. Better to be safe than sorry. I would make sure its compatible.

Those Aerolite roofs are a plywood and foam laminated sandwich just like the walls, not hollow. So chances are if its dripping at the vent that is the only area affected as far as plywood go's.

My skylight leaked for a month or so before I realized it was the skylight. I would find a small puddle in the shower base once in awhile and thought it was just draining from the hose on the way home from campground. I found out differently when I did my next roof inspection. A very small crack in the sealant. Really small and easy to miss. It did not damage any plywood whatsoever, not even a stain. If its dripping from the interior bezel at the vent it can not really go anywhere else.

What year and model Aerolite?

9. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

When setting up camp, we tilt our PUP to the rear corner to help with drainage and reduce the size of the puddle on the roof of our aging camper. Normally this is for the AC condensate, but also helps for rainy nights and keeps the ground at the entry door mud free.

10. Michel

Michel Member

I have the 19' 2001 Cub. Finally, was able to find the eternabond, though it was sold out at the nearest two and had to drive close to an hour to get it. I will put it on once the roof dries. The reviews seem to praise it quite a bit. At least, it has stopped raining :)