Help! Falling and won’t stay up

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by BurnDad3, Apr 18, 2019.

1. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

hey all! I need help. Fleetwood high wall camper would no longer raise. Without warning, just stopped. So after inspection it was discovered that the Drive Extension had stripped and was no longer threaded to the lifting drive shaft. Once removed, I can raise the lift by using a 5/16 socket drive on the hexnut, but the roof would not stay unless pressure was kept on the socket wrench. Except if you raise the roof all the way up and it will
    Lock in and stay in the open position.

My questions is, if I purchase a new Drive extension, will this solve my issue, or is something else happening? Any help is appreciated

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

What year is your pup?
    If it is indeed stripped replace it. Also, when you do that clean the clutch mechanism with brake cleaner and DO NOT lubricate it. The clutch keeps the roof up, if it's dirty or if someone lubed it, it will slip. When you install the new extension tube put a little grease on the threads. This will help it from sticking over time.

There are some good videos out there on how to perform maintenance on the crank system. It covers disassembly, cleaning and what to lubricate.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

SilverMickey, thanks for the reply. It’s a 2005. Once I replace the extension, will the mechanism work properly again to raise/Lower the camper?
    Thanks again

4. silvermickey2002

Is the crank at the bumper level or higher up? If higher up then a chain is involved and if so there are plenty of folks here who can chime in. But search for videos on how to do those repairs. That's how I found out how to disassemble mine and do the proper cleaning and lube.

5. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

It is the higher up. I can lift and lock it out using a socket on the hex nut, but wondering if the drive extension will engage the brake mechanism? Or is it just an extension of the drive and my problem will persist even if I replace that part

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

7. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

Gray fox, thanks for the link! I’ve been piece fitting information as
    I went along.

Found the part and have installed it, so here is where I am now:

The new drive extension fixed the issue of not being able to crank unless I used a socket wrench, now she will crank up, however still no brake action. Full disclosure: I CANNOT crank all the way up because it sitting in my garage and it’s a deluge outside all weekend! But my question is, once I can get it all the way up to reset the Pawl(?) will this correct my non interment brake issues, or am I still missing something?

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming!!

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

As it will detail somewhere in your owner's manual, yes if the system is operating properly slightly over cranking it when the roof is up fully will reset the pawl.

9. silvermickey2002

You should be able to lift it halfway and have it stay in place. While you are cranking up do you hear the pawl clicking?

If it is, then to me it sounds like the clutch is slipping. When cranking up the extension tube presses against the clutch to keep it engaged, thus keeping the roof from coming back down. If the clutch is dirty or somehow got oil on it then the clutch won't work.

If the pawl is not clicking (engaging) then either you need to get the roof up all the way to reset it or it needs to be cleaned as well.

The issue I had with mine was the pawl wasn't engaging all the time and the clutch was sticking. After a good cleaning of the pawl mechanism and the clutch mechanism everything worked fine after that.

10. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

SilverMickey,

This sounds exactly what mine is doing. It is clicking about ever 2 full rotations but not fully. I’ll wait until the weather clears and pull it outside and try to engage and clean up all components

11. silvermickey2002

Yeah, That was the first time I took the mechanism apart since we purchased the pup (10 years). I think I'll do it a bit more often!! [;)]

12. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

Thanks everyone for all the help and replies. We got her up and good to go!!

Kampus likes this.
  13. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

How do you fix it ? Thanks

14. BurnDad3

BurnDad3 New Member

Crank it all the way up until full stop and then crank 1/4 turn more. You’ll hear it! After the pawl reset, it was business as usual

bols2Dawall likes this.
  15. silvermickey2002

Glad you got it fixed! Now go enjoy!!

16. Tanya13

Tanya13 New Member

Ugg, we are having that issue. Bought a 93 flagstafff pop up and it clicks on every rotation while also slipping down a bit at the same time. It takes a couple to a few tries but eventually will stay up. So we cranked it a bit more after it was fully open and it clicked again but no such luck, still won't open properly. It feels as it is tightening as it is being cranked open. Of course when we looked at buying it, it was already opened and has no issues when closing it . Has anyone had a similar problem and knows what might help me... Thank you so much