Help. First Time Buyer. Why is this so cheap?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Ryanincc, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

ad here

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/rvs/4163339595.html

I know just the basics, soft floors, canvas. But thats about it. Im going to check this camper out soon. Maybe today or tomorrow. Just waiting on an email. Any tips to search why this its so cheap?

Nadaguides lists this at low 6K for low retail.

Thanks Guys,

Ryan

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Soft floors? Does that mean they are rotted? The canvas is a mess over the one bed, not going to be cheap to fix. This definitely doesn't scream well cared for. I might walk away from this one.

3. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

There are a thousand reasons for why people price things where they do. It's from a divorce, death of a parent, sick of camping, bought new camper and need the money or serious damage to the camper and they want to move it quick. We have a 2005 Starcraft Centennial 3604 pup and love it.

Look inside the cabinets and under the floor for signs of water damage. Check the canvas for major damage. Turn on and test all of the appliances. I would ask them to fire up the fridge ahead of time to make sure it is cooling properly. Hopefully the deal is as good as it looks. Beware of the Craigslist scammers that tell the story that it is locked in storage and a deposit will hold it until they can get it out. I don't waste time unless they have a title and it is readily accessible.

Good luck.

4. Ryanincc

I don't know if it has soft floorsÂ… i meant i just know to check them. I haven't visited it yet lol

5. Ryanincc

Thanks for the help! I wouldn't want to watch the setup? Pic 5 shows bad canvas. How much would that cost give or take?. How long should it take for the fridge to be cold?

6. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Oh, sorry, I misread that and thought you meant that you knew it had soft floors. I would agree then with opening all the cabinets, and might even go so far as to check around underneath it on this one as it clearly has some signs of mis-care.

As for the fridge, depends on the unit, but I would guess a couple hours probably at minimum. I used to turn my pup fridge on and give it a good 4-5 hours before putting anything in it. The on in my Roo is ready for food in roughly an hour.

7. bropaul

bropaul New Member

The damage to that bunk end canvas appears to have been done when folded... it may have been from a mouse. They have a cover on the mattress... check to make sure the mattress is good. Canvas Replacements should be able to give you a quick quote on the canvas. Don't assume the damaged canvas is from misuse or improper care. Good luck! Let us know how your inspection goes.

Diane

8. bburgcamper

Yes I would watch the setup. I am a overly cautious about the fridge as I will probably end up replacing mine shortly. We have purchased 2 pups and have helped friends look at several others. You will notice a lot of things about the camper during the process of setup and take down.

9. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

If the canvas was patched right you could still get many years of use from the existing canvas. Check the floors closely around the shower area for water damage.
    IMHO I don't think it is a bad price for a 2009 year model if in decent shape.
    Remember....$4500.00 is his asking price, most sellers on CL expect to negotiate some. Good Luck!!!

10. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Hope fully all the appliances work and the floors are in good shape and also check the tires for dry rot

11. Ryanincc

Thanks all for the tips! Im actually not too thrilled about messing with the potty lol

12. Loraura

Loraura New Member

The canvas damage kind of looked to me like they closed it up with a light on/still hot? Maybe the kill switch wasn't working and the light stayed on. I guess a mouse could also be possible. I haven't had mouse damage so not sure what it looks like.

Other than that, what does it weigh? Get the GVWR, not the dry weight. Dry weights mean nothing. There is 2-300 pounds of air conditioning, propane and battery added, plus any extra added features from standard (some models don't include fridge, stove and more in their standard model for dry weight calculations. Check the GVWR to see if it's under 3500 lbs your 4 runner can handle. You may need to subtract people weight and luggage weight from the 4runners capacity.

Get the GVWR and tongue weight to see if your tv can handle it safely.

13. Loraura

Loraura New Member

The 2012 has a GVWR of 3850 And a tongue weight of 375.

Seems to be pushing it for your 3500 lb tow limit. While everyone says "oh I'd never load it that full" you have a wife, small child and an infant... Packing light isn't really an honest option for most folks in your shoes.

I'd look in the queen/queen non-highwall lines to get the GVWR around 3000 lbs.

You need to find out if you need to subtract all weight inside (and outside like the hitch) your 4 runner other than 1 150lb driver to see what you really have to work with for tow capacity.

14. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

You can pick up a new bunkend canvas from Bear Creek for $375 with free shipping. Just a thought...

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

According to THIS the gross weight of that trailer is 3,750 pounds. If your TV's tow limit is 3,500 pounds you should not try to tow it. It would be best to look for something else.

16. Ryanincc

My wife didn't want to spend that much, so I'm not going to see it. My 4runner is rated 5k lbs tow cap so that would have been fine. I need to know about this one though, just looked at it and loved it

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/rvs/4262481842.html

The left rear stabilizer was bent from forgetting to put it up. It's still working order.... But has to be tied in its up position. How much to replace just the stabilizer as the frame is fine?

The owners have never used the fridge in their 3 years of owning it. Said it was propane powered and didn't ever figure out how to use it :-/ they seem very sincere about truth but I have no idea how to test it. Just curious how much a new one would cost or to buy an electric one and convert? Current model Brand is a Dometic.
    Model is RM2193.
    Made in Germany.

Interior and canvas are immaculate. One siding needs to be fixed but it doesn't leak.... Looks cosmetic if anything.

2k$ is what they'd sell it for. I'm extremely interested and think it's what I want

DW wants to know how much to repair or replace Ac unit, just a ballpark. If it ever broke. Ac is essential and must have for south Texas.

17. bburgcamper

6-900 seems to be the going rate for camper fridges depending on size. Some people just pull the original out and use a homestyle electric fridge (dorm size) depending on their camping needs. The tend not to cool as well as units made for campers.

As far as the wife not wanting to spend that much...explain to her that it is for camping so the price is irrevelant.

18. Ryanincc

On the left rear corner is some separation, maybe 10 inches. It looks like I could seal it easily. Is that a deal breaker for 2k?

19. Ryanincc

Nada lists the 1996 Dutchmen 1203, with appropriate features, is 2220$. I could probably get it to 1900$ which is low retail price. I'm really curious about that separation.

20. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I have to give the standard used camper disclaimer... if you want something in perfect order, clean and turn-key ready, go visit a dealer and buy a 2014 model.

If you're buying used, it's used. If $2,000 is your budget (it was mine too), you can still get a functional PUP, but it will need some TLC that the current owner just doesn't want to take time to do. If you put a little sweat equity into a PUP, you'd be surprised the things you can fix yourself if you know just a touch more than "righty/tighty" and "Ground is minus".

If you want something turn-key to just hitch up and camp, have a very critical eye. Anything that doesn't look right probably isn't. There is no practical way to check an RV fridge on site. The only REAL way is to tell the seller you want to check the fridge and ask them to light it up on LP the NIGHT BEFORE. By the time you get there, it should be cool inside after 18-24 hours of being lit. If you get excuses like they don't know how to use it, they don't have LP, they never used it... consider the fridge DEAD. Same with the furnace and A/C. If they can't turn it on and get heat or cool air, you will likely need to do some work to get those things working again.

You CAN buy a nice PUP off CL for $2,000. But, be prepared to do some work, or pay someone to do some work on it.

Good Luck!