Help. First Time Buyer. Why is this so cheap?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Ryanincc, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Thanks for the heads up! I don't know what LP is but I went back over there with the downloaded owners manual for the model of the fridge. They learned how to do the fridge burner lighting as I did. We had a thermostat in the fridge. It started at 70 and about 30 minutes later it had dropped to 50 degrees. The back panel behind the fridge on the outside looked like it hadn't been open in years. They said they would leave it on the gas overnight and I'm supposed to check it.

2. Ryanincc

AHHH! Lightbulb!! is LP land power?

3. Ryanincc

I got under the pup and seems the stabilizer is just fine. could use a little liquid wrench for next time though. Maybe a little vice grip squeeze to straighter out a small piece. Looks better nonetheless

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No, LP is Liquified Petroleum gas, sometimes also called LPG. As for camping with electricity, we have borrowed a term from our sailing friends and call that shore power.

5. Ryanincc

Thanks for the clarification. Is LP the same as propane?

I grew up sailing here in corpus, so I know shore power :)

Thought maybe land power would be the borrowing lol.

6. Ryanincc

Liquefied petroleum gas, also called LPG, GPL, LP Gas, liquid petroleum gas or simply propane or butane, is a flammable mixture of hydrocarbon gases used as a fuel in heating appliances and vehicles. ...

Copied from google haha
    I got one right!!!

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Welcome from Florida. Lots of great info here. Good Luck [8D]

8. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I'd be concerned about the roof. It isn't buckled shut in the picture, and there is clear damage. If 2k is your budget, it might be the best you can do but I'm not sure.

9. Ryanincc

Could you elaborate some more? The roof buckle I mean. I'm heading back in the morning.

If you mean the left side above the door, it's a screw that came out and the sealant broke. It doesn't leak there however and I believe it can be fixed rather easily.

Also Im talking about the second ad… the 1996 Dutchmen M-1203

10. Loraura

Loraura New Member

On all four corners there are latches to keep the roof shut and sealed. They are not bucked in any of the pics. Be sure it can be buckled shut properly. Maybe they just took the outside pics after they opened it up and forgot to buckle them.

11. Ryanincc

[:(O]
    Ok, thanks. Will check the buckles tomorrow. You guys are awesome!!

12. Ryanincc

How do I inspect the roof? Can I climb on top of it when it's down or just push on it with my hands? I'm heading over there again today

13. dksimon

dksimon UNITED WE STAND

I own a Dutchmen. 1002 mine had issues with the same side and I see a repair in your future! The pup you are looking at is larger than mine, but the roof just doesn't look right on the curb side, this is an issue that needs repair. Don't let me scare you it can be repaired. Inspect the inside side panel along the bottom where the aluminum is hanging down, if the plywood is black or rotted at the bottom this is an issue but repairable. I am really concerned with odd buckle in the roof from the A/C forward. That is about the area where a splice in the original plywood would be, they use a lap joint glued together, which is alright until water gets in and rots the plywood. This roof is an easy 2 foot longer than mine, when mine is down just from its own weight lays flat on the lower (bottom) area of the trailer. The roof in the pic looks like the aluminum is resting on the outside light.
    If you want further info look up Dutchmen roof repair in the forum area, there are a couple repairs with pics for ref.
    If there is roof damage I would not pay over $1000.00 for for a 96. If it has the Goshon lift system it is about the easiest system to repair, there is one cable to replace and and can be done in about an hour by the owner and pretty straight forward in replacement.

14. Ryanincc

Thanks for the insight!

I really don't want a fixer-upper, at least not immediately as this is our very first rv of any kind. I would like to know a lot more.

Is it possible to know how long I could use the trailer before NEEDing to repair it?

15. Ryanincc

I went back and after the new shopper "wow" wore off, I don't want it… Plus my budget grew to the 4-5k$ range. Im supposed to go look at this one tomorrow or new years… take a looksie and tell me what you think. Anybody please reply

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvs/4250468978.html

16. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

These are great PUPs except for the ABS roof. Check the roof closely for cracks and separation, and drooping in the center. The floor plans are excellent and overall these campers are very well built. Also check front storage compartment for water damage and rot.
    Good Luck!!!

17. 88PUP

I just looked at the asking price again.....IMHO that price is way high for a 2001, $3500.00 would be my max if the roof and storage box are solid. But markets are different in other areas and may bring more where you are.

18. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

As an example of what Pup-N-Stuff was saying about markets, pay attention to the going rates in Texas and your neighboring states. While $3500 might be the max for the South Carolina market, that same unit here in Washington would probably easily be in the $4k-6k range. There's currently a '97 Niagara for $4200 in the Seattle area. Just FYI.

19. 88PUP

Of course I would have to look closely at the 2009 Starcraft 3612 at 4000.00 compared to the Fleetwood Coleman at 4400.00. A little patchwork on the canvas compared to a bad ABS roof repair cost wise is a no brainier! I do believe the Starcraft has an aluminum roof which is much easier to work with if you have a roof problem down the road. Also the resale value of the Starcraft HW is going to be much higher just due to the year.

20. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

As a general rule, Fleetwood is a great p'up. You won't be disappointed. However, as PUP-N-STUFF said, the ABS roof can be a headache for some of them. Based on the size of the picture, I can't tell for sure, but I think that's an ABS roof. And that's not necessarily a deal killer; just inspect it carefully. I think the original problem was only 10% failure anyway.

That's more camper than I got for more $ although mine is somewhat newer and I bought in the spring several years ago. All things considered, I'd say the Niagra would be a prime contender in my search. Check it out up close and make sure it's as nice as it looks in the pictures. I'm thinking it's sweet!