Help. First Time Buyer. Why is this so cheap?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Ryanincc, Dec 29, 2013.

1. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

That price seems high for a 13 year old camper to me, but not sure what the Texas market is. Compared to the 2009 StarCraft you were looking at for about the same price.

2. shfd739

shfd739 Member

The Niagara is overpriced by $1000 or so compared to what I've seen similar ones sell for in this area and what we paid for ours a few months ago. The Starcraft has issues and is way under priced for the market.

3. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

regarding the 2005 Coleman Niagra elite, Ive spoken with the owner several times, and I'm supposed to see it today at 2. He said the previous owner replaced the original ABS roof 5years ago with another ABS roof. He also said there are "spider web" superficial cracks in the roof. He thought of maybe sealing them but the were just in the fiberglass so he just left it. He said it was normal cracks that you would see on any that old. I dont know if this is a red flag or not, but im also concerned that it might be just tooo much trailer for us and my vehicle. It has a sway bar, electric brakes, and the owner has a 4Runner as well with the V8, myself V6. He said gross axle weight is 3000 lbs and my truck is tow capped at 5000, but i still wonder how much texas winds will white knuckle me. He said he never had any issues with towing except one time he tried to travel without the sway bar... never again he joked. It also has all the bells and whistles on it, slideouts, water heater, fridge that can run while traveling etc. Im concerned its just too much to break on me. I do like it and will see it today and post back some feedback. And the ABS has me concerned of course, and I cant figure out why they would replace it with another ABS. Its been covered by roof when not in use, and he had it inspected before he purchased it, but the owner had known the inspector shop as well, so who knows.

Nada has it priced in the range hes asking

next post cntd

4. Ryanincc

Also, Whichever camper I get , it will be garaged in a separate from the house garage out back, but im not sure this one will fit, Is that the best way store a camper?

5. Ryanincc

So far, this one is our favorite without actually seeing it

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvs/4231246947.html

Its a 2005 Coachman Clipper 1075 (in nada there wasn't a 1075, but a 107 and 107ST, not sure which this is)

Im going to see this one near the 8th of Jan. And we've started communicating via email through CL.

I don't know anybody that has had a Coachman except some darkside people, Any advice on this one is Very appreciated. Thanks

6. Ryanincc

One more question,

How do you go about getting a vehicle inspected? If you dont know anyone or have no buddy's at the dealer and RV shops, who do you take it to and how much do they charge? Is it a normal practice when buying from an owner or a dealer?

And if I cant afford or have no way to get it inspected, is there a way you can go to a local rv park and have them let you just use the connections for like an hour or so? so you can see the shore power working, water heater, toilet, test out all the stuff. How much would they charge you think?

And what is considered "normal etiquette" when dealing with a private owner when requesting a further inspection?

7. Ryanincc

The starcraft got sold so thats gone now :-(

8. Ryanincc

This is the very first one i looked at. its a 2008 Flagstaff by Forest River model 208

He just called me to tell me he lowered the price to $4800

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/rvs/4239629479.html

All seems to work except fridge doesnt cool all the way. It also has a car type battery next to the propane tank that Im confused about

I created a flickr account and uploaded the pics form it as the CL ad had only one. They are rookie pics as this was my first looksie at a camper ever a didnt know what to look for, Im going back thursday eve with the wife too look at it.

I dont know how to do flickr yet but the account name is TroellDiana. Ill try to post a link next

9. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

That Coachmen looks like a nice clean pup. I would definitely go look at that one.

10. Ryanincc

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjPQH8A6

2008 Flagstaff by Forest River model 208 $4800 asking

I figured it out! I think lol. I hope it doesnt force you to sign up to see them so someone let me know if its easy to see, Thanks

11. Ryanincc

Yeah, My wife has thing for the color and it looks like its top shelf. I look forward to seeing it

12. Ryanincc

Do you think $5000 is a good asking price for the 2005 Coachman Clipper Pop-Up Camper -- 1075 model? The pup looks really sharp! And the property its on with the house behind it leads me to believe they dont NEED to sell it.

13. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

the coachman looks nice, we have a 2001 4runner v6 . we have a santa fee from fleetwood, it is a smaller pup and is just about all our 4runner can handle, make sure your 4runner can handle the pup you pick, ask to pull it and see how it handles on your TV , just remember your not just pulling the pup, but the stuff in it too :)

14. Ryanincc

Thanks. What's your pup's loaded weight and length? That would be awesome to know. Could save me an hour and a half one way trip today. Let me know ASAP if you can

15. Bonniy

the gross weight rating is 3000 lbs, you can check in the owners manual area under fleetwood, then santa fee to see the length and stuff, thats where I just checked, its next to the forum button
    look in the 2007 brochure, it gives all the weights and measurements

the unloaded vehicle weight is 1870, so it is pretty lite

16. shfd739

shfd739 Member

A small camper like a pup doesn't have to be inspected in Texas. So no worries there. Buying from a private party you'll have to make a bill of sale and get the plate transferred to you.

I think your 4Runner would be okay with the Niagara. We towed ours once without the sway/weight distribution and never again. These models are a little tongue heavy with the trunk and it causes the sway.

The battery by the tank is what provides 12v power when the shore power isn't connected. It will run the lights, water pump and furnace fan. I believe it also powers the break away switch for the electric brakes- on Coleman's it does.

If the roof looks ok on the Niagara and it checks out that would be my first choice for a family of 4. 12 foot box plus the slide makes for a lot of space and the shower enclosure provides some privacy.

NADA on the Niagara is $4-4800. Potential problems with roof and I'd still cover it with a bed liner type material plus anything else it might need. To me it's a high $3k camper. The ones I've seen sold since summer were all under $4k. Anything over that sat for awhile before being sold or the owner pulled it off the market.

17. Bonniy

our 4runner does great pulling our santa fee on flat roads, you don't even realize its behind you, its going up hills that we feel the engine strain a little, which is to be expected, for us, our santa fee is about all we'd want to pull, anything larger might be a problem going up hill

18. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

The Coachman just from the pictures appears to be in better shape and as far as being weathered less than that Rockwood for the year. You just never know about pricing until you make someone an offer. They may really have another camper they want to buy and want to move this one. Worth a shot. Have you looked at any dealers or are you going off of just private owner?

19. Ryanincc

Situation update. My ParentsIL have a 2001 34ft Keystone Everest with 3 slides 5th wheel that they no longer need or want and are willing to trade it in to get a camper FOR us. Its the most generous offer I have ever received! So that temporarily knocks me off the market until we can figure out the value of the 5th wheel.

The electric slides are stuck out but other than that Its in top shape.

Does anybody know how to get this process started... clearly someone will have to come out and fix the slides, to be able to transport it... We want nothing to do with that part. Ideally a dealer or someone would be responsible for fixing and removing from the property. Whats the best way to figure out the trade in value for one of the Dark Side's?

You guys have SOOOOOooooooo much help, I hope I can return the favor someday, because I would be up a crap creek right about now with a 96 dutchmen with roof issues having paid over value etc. Thank You!!Thank You!!Thank You!!Thank You!!Thank You!!Thank You!!Thank You!!Thank You!!

20. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Ryanincc, that's a SMOKING generous offer! You have golden in-laws. Barring the stuck slides, I'd say the NADA guide price would be a good starting point and just figure the allowance to fix the slides. Of course, I have no idea what's wrong with them, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a look and see what I could learn about them being stuck if it were mine. That would save a heck-of-a-lot of deduction from a dealer if you go to trade it in. You could always hire someone handy to fix it (with qualifications, of course), then try to sell it on the private market.

Either way, you struck gold! :)