Help for scottish newbie

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Spoon84, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Spoon84

Spoon84 New Member

Hi guys I found your wonderful forum after an impulse purchase of a Coleman Williamsburg pop up and there is not much help in UK lol!

I found this camper on a selling page and fell in love! We have already fixed up a wee 2 berth caravan and wanted a new project. Now the problem!!!

We need to get in in back garden to work on it. We assumed that we would be able to tip it on side and slide round side of house! We didn't realise how big and heavy it is

Question! Is there a way we can make it lighter to get on it side or will it just fall to pieces? We need to rebuild roof which shouldn't be a problem for the hubby if we can get it into the garden! Sideways is the only option!!! Has anyone moved one of these big monster like this? I am I just being crazy?
    I only have two days to get it moved into back garden or I will need to tow it to a scrap yard cos our caravan needs be back in front garden by then any tips?
    BTW you guys are awesome been stalking the forum since I found my pop up

2. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Welcome Spoon84, as you have found out these American trailers are heavy, there is a lot of weight in the roof, cabinets and frame. I don't think putting it on it's side is a good idea as there isn't much strength to those panels. If it is usable why not sell it instead of scrapping it?

Spoon84 likes this.
  3. sblanck

sblanck Member

I own a williamsburg and I dont think you can do that. I cannot even fathom how you would accomplish that to be honest.

Spoon84 likes this.
  4. Spoon84

Spoon84 New Member

Unfortunately there's not a lot of people interested in these type of campers here. I am just trying to see if anyone wants it to strip down for a trailer. Its a shame because it would have fixed up lovely.

5. Spoon84

Spoon84 New Member

Yeah I am facing facts its just not gonna happen. I am very sad about it cos I really love it lol!

6. Spoon84

Spoon84 New Member

Update
    That plan has been scrapped as I was clearly grasping at straws lol! Thankful I didn't pay a lot for it so not a great loss except I was kinda attached to it.
    Good news I have found someone 160 miles away selling an pop up camper!!! So if all goes to plan I can still have my dream lol!
    Thanks ever so much for the replies and best of luck with all your wonderful camping trips and I hope I can join in the fun soon! Love all the way from Scotland!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Can you open a panel of the back garden fence? Maybe that would be easier than turning the camper on it's side.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of unusual things in my almost six years as a member of this forum, but that's the first time I've heard of someone wanting to flip their Pup on it's side. [LOL][LOL][LOL]

Glad to hear it's going to work out for you in the end.

Finally, welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

Spoon84 likes this.
  9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. My suggestion was going to be a crane / back hoe to get it over the fence.

Spoon84 likes this.
  10. Spoon84

Spoon84 New Member

I just kind assumed it would be like one of our trailer tents I was so confused when it was super heavy! American ones are so much better though!!! Now I know I don't wanna settle for a flimsy trailer tent and I need a pop up hopefully the one I have found will be minmine by Friday

11. Spoon84

Spoon84 New Member

Update
    A lovely polish gentleman came and took the Williamsburg away this morning! I hope he can restore it and make it fabulous! Lesson learned - american pop up trailers are super awesome and super heavy

kcsa75, Sjm9911 and Muller 5 like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Ah, but you have some of the prettiest scenery to see while touring around with a popup.

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. Spoon84

Spoon84 New Member

We are blessed with pretty scenery I normally take my little caravan and point it towards a loch then pitch a tent for my kids! I feel a pop up with room for everyone will save time! More time for drinking, fishing and staring at hills in that order

neighbormike likes this.