Help getting in pop-up

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Breadbox, Aug 30, 2011.

1. dcaptd

dcaptd Member

Different idea, bear with me if I don't get it across right. Take a pipe(larger diamiter) and mount it on the outside next to the door opening, have it long enough to reach from the floor up to the tub lip. Now take a smaller diamiter pipe that will slide into the mounted base and extend up the door frame halfway( you'll have to measure your wife to decide the right height). Take more of the smaller pipe and weld it up to the long pole in the shape of a 4. Drill holes through the base and the insert and put pins in to stop the bar from twisting. The rail can be lifted out by pulling the pins and it can be stored in the pup for travel and installed at set up.

2. banjorules

banjorules Member

Family member with similar need recently purchased 2 foldup ramps on ebay. I believe they went for somewhere around 250 - 300 each. They are designed for use in vans and are 12 volt and manually powered. Person on Walker can go right up them.

Steps and such might need a way of adjusting for sites that are a little out of level. Just something to consider.

What he bought looks like this - http://www.mobilityworks.com/braun-century.php

It may be too large/heavy for a popup. But it may spur further ideas.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Breadbox & Eilean T, Glad you have such a great attitude! I think I got a local vendor to donate the materials. I will try to assymble this weekend. I will test on my "parts pup". I still would like to know height from tire to top of box & how much space from lower door opening to cabinet. Steve

4. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I know these lifts work excellent!! A woman with a paralyzing nerve disorder comes to Merlefest every April (& follows a lot of festivals_ & she gets around in her motorized chair better than I do on foot! I agree with banjo...maybe it will spawn an idea in someones head!!

[:D]

5. CoxClan

CoxClan Member

Hooray! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get in, Eilean! (I hope I spelled that correctly! I got so excited by your post, I forgot to note the proper spelling!) Where there is a will, there is usually a way....and I'm sure you will find someone to help you with the electric - I know we would if we were nearby. My DH has three herniated discs, but isn't in your situation....at least not yet. Please keep us informed of whatever you end up working out, and keep camping! Bless you all!

6. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Well, we're back from a fun weekend at Jellystone Hagerstown. With a little difficulty Eilean was able to get in and out of the PUP and even sleep in the forward bed. We thought we'd have to convert the seating into the third bed but she was able to kneel on the seat and get in. Yea! She's able to hold onto the cabinet on the left and the bench end on the right and get into the unit and, with her walker at the bottom of the step, get back out. The bathroom is a definite godsend. She'd have never made it up the hill to the closest facilities. Next project is the shower. We've never used it since all the plumbing is the gray plastic stuff that was recalled because it leaks so bad, which it does around the cold water faucet, and because our PUP was missing it's sewer drain pipe for the shower. We also had to replace the hot water heater. This is the first trip we've taken without any water issues. She suffered along without one this weekend but next trip it will work. I have to take the rear bulkhead apart anyway since I had a little SPUT last year and backed the spare tire into a tree in the dark so I have a little repair work to do back there and I'll replace all the water pipe that goes to the shower while I have it apart.

[​IMG]

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

YAY Breadbox!! SO glad Eilean was able to manage the entry/exit part! I have a gaucho couch in front of my King bed, and it does make a good 'in between step'! Glad y'all had a good time too. [;)]

Carry on, campers!!

8. Shaman1

Breadbox, congrats on the trip. Some work always to do. [LOL] I made the assist rail. I need to clean it, but it worked well. Don't know what it will cost to ship. Is a greyhound close to you? How detailed installation instructions do you need? Best wishes, Steve

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Shaman, would you please post a photo of what you made, even if it's in the development phase? Thanks!!

10. Shaman1

Man, that means I have to get a picture account. Then I won't have an excuse to post pictures. [LOL]

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

[LOL] I'm sorry Shaman. [:(] I had used Picaso but the portal doesn't like that one, so I moved stuff to Webshots. Only took a quick minute to register and set your options. :) PWEEEEESEEE?

12. ken in md

ken in md New Member

Breadbox, just PM'ed you - pretty sure we were in the site right next door at Jellystone! Your wife asked my mom about her walker (she just had knee replacement in July). You must have called and reserved right after I did - last site in the place!

I am sorry to hear about your wife's difficulties, and I hope you guys find a workable solution. I feel bad because I just posted about how rotten our trip was, how Jellystone was too pricey, etc. Between the expense, the heat and humidity, and the last minute thunderstorn, we didn't have a great trip. BUT - you remind me that we should savor every minute, even if things arent perfect.

I would have been happy to help you with anything...though we just got our pup in March, so I am no expert.

Small world! Boy, I hope we were good neighbors. Best to you and your family.

13. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Bread Box here is what you might need to help here grab on to look at the pic this is my new camper it has the hand rail to the left of the door look at the pic.

[​IMG]

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Bread & Eilean....that handle looks like it would be good to get you to the last step to the inside, and you used the counters for that! Maybe some hope of it getting just a little easier!!

I've been wanting to install this exact thing, but no idea how to shore up that wall to handle it.

bigdad, is there some reinforcement within that front wall to hold that handle well?? Like, does it come with a 'pull force' rating??

15. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

RotnMom i am guessing it did ok this weekend for me and pulled on it and it did not move my camper on that side was way off the ground but it might be screwed into the frame ? o and that camper sit higher off the ground it needs a sec step

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Well that's a good thing then! It would suck if you pulled on it and it came off in your hand. [:O]

We installed a dual step on the Starcraft. I think it's going to work just fine. :) I'll post a pic if I can find it.

17. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

RotnMon i would like to see pic of your step on your camper.

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I'll post one tomorrow for you! [;)]

19. AlanTn

AlanTn New Member

My son was born with spina-bifida. He has no feeling below the knees either. He wears leg braces to support his ankles and used to use a walker. Now he uses arm crutches and his mobility is greatly increased. The crutches allow him to go on stairs & slopes that the walker could never do. Sometimes he uses one crutch for support while pulling himself up along a handrail with his other hand. Here's a pic of him going down a rustic campground staircase. It's pretty easy for him to climb into the camper.

[​IMG]

20. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

YAY!! Good for you and yours, AlanTn!! :) [8D] :)