Help getting in pop-up

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Breadbox, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Thank you very much! Due to all the new expenses relating to Eilean and a few car problems, money is real tight right now so I might have to wait a week or two to get shipping money. Greyhound is about 6 miles away in Downtown Baltimore. As far as instructions, I'm taking the back of the pup apart and replacing water hoses and electric without knowing exactly what I'm doing. I think I can manage with brief instructions and maybe a picture of it assembled.

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Bigdad...here are a few shots for you. I was worried about them hitting the ground, but our driveway is the least level place it's been since putting the new steps on. DH has to put one more rear brace on the rear (can't see it) for support, and had to remove the original bracket that was bolted on. The nice thing too, is the lower step folds up and over the top step, and then it slides right into lock position. Good luck!! [:D]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

What about having a custom handrail made that would slip into a floor mounted bracket in the pup. Think of how an in-ground pool would have a handrail mounted to the sidewalk.

Just a thought! It could be made to be removable...

I'm sure something like that could be made! If there is a will, then there is a way!!!

4. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Hi silver! Shaman is working on that very thing, for Eilean. [:D]

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Wow!! Sometimes I scare myself!! [:D]

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Yes the assistive rail is done. Don't have pics done. [:(] The rail has 9in height adjustment on the outside of the pup & 4in on the inside to allow for support in different leveling situations. The tested weight limit is 300lbs. The problem with the picture Bigdad sent is that it is designed to take force away from the pup but offers little support downward toward the ground. It works great for balance issues (I have one on my TT), but not so much for lifting weights. Once the support hardware was installed, it took less than 1 minute to setup or take down. It lays flat & fits next to the sheppard pole for travel. I'm happy to answere any other questions I can.

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

@Silver...ya, you scare me too! [:O] [LOL] [LOL] jk [LOL]

@Shaman...I will wait patiently for photos.

[:D]

8. EileanT

EileanT New Member

Wow! You guys are great!
    1) Ken... you guys were great neighbors! I am sorry you had a less than wonderful weekend... I had a good time because I hadn't been "out" in months. Try them again sometime...
    2) everyone helping to come up with a more permanent solution... I feel so thrilled and supported... this injury has been hard on me mentally because we were so active and I am having a hard time learning how to do things differently... having so many people willing to give me a hand makes me feel like I'll make it after all... it won't always be bad.
    3) In defense of the DH... he said he damaged the pup... closer to WE damaged the pup... neither of us saw the tree that he backed into. It'll get fixed... in time. (Love you Matt! aka Breadbox)

FYI... saw someone wanted to know my "stats"
    height 5'10"
    weight... (if I hadn't lost weight you wouldn't see this!) 312 (and going down)

Thanks everyone! PUP people will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart.
    Eilean

9. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

this is a happy post=Thanks and Camp On Eileen [8D]

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Shaman....please PM me.
    Thx

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Hah, the first thing I thought of was the "lend-a-hand" hand rail! Great job on that, folks!

If it was me and I needed a permanent solution, I'd look at adding an electric lift to a modified stepper door platform you'd find on a Coleman or the new Viking pups.

[​IMG]

And voila! Google shows me that someone's already done it... LOL! I was sure I wasn't that smart!
    [​IMG]
    The thing is, this thing is 300 lbs and costs $1,639.99! I think we could come of with something cheaper and lighter.

A lightweight aluminum platform (stepper door) would fold down/slide out from under the pup or attach to a chain & sprocket or cable & pulley system which would lift it. The platform could be removable so as to allow the current step(s) to be used if necessary.

(I'm not familiar with the construction of the stepper doors but I'd assume they're built to accommodate the weight(s) anticipated in this application.)

Using 1-1/2" angle iron welded to square steel tubing sized to slide one piece inside the other (like the pup's lift posts), vertical framing would be bolted to the current door frame and underneath to the trailer chassis so as not to impede the opening/closing of the one or two piece camper door.

A 12v winch (they're less than $200), located under the pup, with the cable/chain running vertically to a pulley/sprocket at the top of the vertical framing would raise/lower the platform. The winch would be controlled by a hand held unit or switch attached to the camper wall.
    [​IMG]
    Superwinch 1220210 LT2000 Utility Winch: $69.99 + shipping at Amazon.com.

I think you'd need, 18"-24" of lift on the extended platform to bring it flush with the camper floor and that shouldn't be too much of an issue as the walls are approx 24" high. The verticals could extend 4-6" below the door and, if required, 4-6" above the walls as long as they accommodate the collapsed roof and don't stick up above it.

When I started thinking about it, I felt it might be best to if I cranked out a quick drawing depicting a sprocket and chain system. Thinking about it, a cable and pulley system would be easiest and cheapest to implement.

[​IMG]

Using readily available materials, a used stepper door for instance, I'd estimate that the total cost of materials should run well under $500. Barring any unforeseeable problems, I'd estimate 12-16 hours from the initial design, construction, testing and adjustments to a working prototype.

That's my concept.. anyone willing to continue brainstorming on this?

12. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Rotonmom thatnks for the pic thats what i am looking for my camper set up higher when i got i ask the dealer they said they could not put one but on mine there is room.

13. Shaman1

Let's see if I can make these pictures work.
    [​IMG]

Ready for use. This should actually be placed on the left side of the entrance, but I'm taking this pup apart & couldn't get to that side.
    The outside stabilizing ring

[​IMG]]

and the inside support tube

[​IMG]

stay permanently attached. The handrail comes out for storage/transport.
    It took me about 30 minutes to install initially. Setting up & breaking down the handrail takes me less than 1minute.
    The handrail has 9 inches height adjustment outside & 4 inches inside to maintain strength & stability.
    Hope this works.

post edit to increse pic size.

14. Dubbya

Thanks for the pics, Shaman, but they're thumbnail images that don't link to their larger counterparts and they're really hard to see on today's high resolution monitors.

Any chance you can link to the large images?

15. Shaman1

Let's see if this works:
    Handrail

I'm still learning all of this portal stuff.

16. Dubbya

Yep, that'll do just fine!

thanks, Shaman!

Great job there, sir!! Great idea!!

17. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

That looks like it would work. Eilean needs something she can push down on as she enters and exits and that seems to do what she needs. I'm with Wachovia bank and they're becoming Wells Fargo this weekend and all their ATMs are shut down so I'm still financially screwed till next week.

18. Shaman1

Need your address. Don't worry about money. If you think she will need something on the other side, let me know. I will need to know the height of your gaucho & distance from edge of door to gaucho. Steve

19. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Great work, Shaman1!! I think Eilean will like it! [A] [:D]

20. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

I think that should work by itself. I built a wooden handrail up our front steps and she can get up those. Since I don't think there are any pop-up stalkers here, my address is 212 Mallow Hill Road, Baltimore, MD 21229.