Help getting in pop-up

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Breadbox, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Should ship tomorrow. [:D] Happy camping. [CP]

2. Shaman1

Yes I'm slow. [:(] Didn't have a chance to ship it until today. Bus station says it should be in Sun 3am or Monday. You will have to call as I didn't have your phone # to give them. Tracking # is GLI3063504092. I also didn't have a last Name so, it was sent to Matt & Eilean. Let me know when you get it. [CP]

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

So what's the verdict on this helper bar, breadbox? Does it work for Eilean??

Inquiring minds wan to know! [LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

4. natedog_37

natedog_37 New Member

How about one for the Rails the install to get into the bigger 5thers?

It folds up, and are very sturdy when needed?

I also have back issues. Have had issues since I was 25. currently have c1 -c5 with bulging, or ruptured disk, along with sever Arthritis. I am worried just about seeing up. Have had 2 Pain Management shots, and been in PT for 3 months.

Keep you head up if there is a will there is a way.

5. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

Happy to hear you found a way to enjoy camping!! Haven't been on for a while, missed the earlier part of this thread, but if needed, there are portable steps with railings (on both sides) out there, so if it turns out you could use them, try google: portable steps with rails.

6. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Winter came (snow Halloween weekend) and I closed up the pup for the winter before I could get the rail in. We're going to French Creek in March and Skyline Drive in June so I'll have to get it in when I open the pup back up in the spring and fix all the leaks that developed over the winter, and the water, and the electrics....

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Hang in there BB...at least the maintenance is less than say, a leak in your house!!

And PLEASE let us know how the pole works when you get her back out of her Winter slumber.[8D]

8. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

I've got one of those too. the 90-year-old slate roof is leaking where the main roof meets the front dormer and causing a waterfall just inside the front door. At least I can stand on the porch roof to fix it and not have to scale the 45 degree pitch.

The house is that big, brown thing in the background, behind the vastly superior PUP.
    [​IMG]

9. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Well, I was going to put the handrail in today, but I've got a logistical problem. The wheel is just aft of the left side of the door. If I put the screw eye in the frame there, it ends up going into the middle of a piece of square steel that kicks the frame in to clear the wheel and there's no way to put the backing nut on. If I go on the other side, I have to drill through the step because it has to go through one of the benches and clear the fire extinguisher which makes it have to come in at an angle.

10. zjrog

zjrog Member

Since my wife has other medical issues and balance problems, I am considering fabricating handrails for both sides of the door. Something that can be folded against the sides of the pup for travel. And fabbing some 1 1/4" hitch receivers to on the side under the door to support removable steps, as the trailer is planned to go off road.

11. leof

leof Member

12. Shaman1

Easiest fix would be to cut the bolt & weld it to the frame at the correct length. 2nd option would be a longer bolt. Threaded rod could be bent to the correct size. The eye bolt is just for stabilizing & doesn't have to support much weight.

13. baglady201

baglady201 Hippy chick since 1959

I am new, so I don't know if you have found your solution, but in my case, I use a step stool with a handrail. You can turn the stool to place the rail on either side. They come in regular and bariatric, and I paid about 30.00 for mine on Amazon.com Tried to insert pic but could not make it work

14. EileanT

EileanT New Member

Hi Again y'all!
    Just an update... since last year's fun... I have gotten enough upper body strength to heft myself into the pup almost on my own! I still falter a little on the step but I WILL make it! [;)]

The injury and damage is now classified as permanent and ongoing. In normal speak... I'm stuck with it. [:(O] It's a real bummer because the last thing we did right before my injury was to go to the season opener at French Creek last year... Well I am going again this year. Determination!

I really want to thank all of you that sent get well thoughts and tried to solve my entry and egress issues. Just knowing that so many of you were pulling for me to get out there again and working so hard for it to happen made me work all the more at rehab. If it wern't for the frame on the bottom of the pup the handle woulda worked too! But I am getting stronger and I just won't be totally stopped by this. My kids won't miss out because Mom is broken.

I hope to see you all really soon out there in the wild! [CP]
    Thankfully Yours,
    Eilean

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

WOOT! WOOT! Eilean!! YOU GO GIRL!! [8D]

Keep on getting stronger and then you can just pick the kiddies up and TOSS them into the PUP at bedtime! [LOL] [LOL]

Seriously though, good luck with your progress and have a fun time!!!

16. baglady201

baglady201 Hippy chick since 1959

17. singledad

singledad New Member

Wow, sorry BreadBox, about your wife's condictions. I can relate to where she is comming from I need to pull myself up the steps with my cane in the center of my body. My ft dr. thinks I might have CMT. I do not have much strength in my arms, I can only get a gal of water on the counter with both hands. I hope she recovers.

Did you try to make lower steps for her with boards or bricks so it is not such a high step? I know that is my problem if the step is to high I can not pull my weight up onto it.

18. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

How does it go through the canvas on the outside? Do you have pics of that as well?

19. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Here is what Palomino (Forest River) said about the strength of the wall there: Hi Ken,

There are no provisions (backers) in the wall to support that type of handle…….. I would recommend through bolting into a cabinet frame or using a large plate (aluminum or steel) on the inside to give the wall the needed strength to support the handle.

Michael Kernagis

Service Mgr.

Palomino RV

20. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I have the same thing on my 2012 Rockwood. What did Forest River do to attach it? It's pretty sturdy. I looked inside and did not see how they attached it?

inside pic:

[​IMG]